NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Sep 8, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #3,091 of 3,345
I got a used pair of H6 2nd gens and have been listening to both them and the NAD HP50s unamped with no external DAC. Firstly I'll say that the H6 2nd gens are slightly less efficient than the NADs, as I had to up the volume meter a couple of notches to make them have the same volume as the NADs (this is just an observation, not a complaint. Both sound fine straight out of a phone.) In my comparisons I made sure to get both to output the same volume. Additionally, I find the H6s to definitely be more comfy than the NADs overall, and both of them are over ear for me. I actually prefer the controversial headband of the NAD since it disappears on my head, as the H6 headband creates a slight pressure point due to thin padding.

I can confirm that the H6 gen 2 has more sub bass than the NADs. I think the H6's sub bass will be great for movies and such. For example, in this video with the H6 you get the rumble as ship's fly by, while with the NADs you can hear the low notes, but there's simply no deep rumble (also remember both headphones are unamped):

For non-electronic music I could see the H6 2nd gen's sub bass getting too much at times for realistic instrument reproduction, but for electronic music it could be fine & maybe even good for some people who like that sub bass feel. I can't comment on the other qualities of the H6 2nd gens like the lower-mid frequency dip (some say recessed male vocals & guitars?) or soundstage since I don't have that sharp of an ear. I'll be keeping both since I got them cheap (here's where I boast: i snagged the H6s from ebay at $88.71 + $10 shipping USD)

EDIT: i should mention that both headphones were fully sealed, so that did not influence the bass presences (although obtaining full seal is much easier with the H6 than with the NAD, which requires some adjustment at first). I'd say for music listening I like the NADs better, simply because outside of movies I find the sense of feeling sub bass to be distracting, not "fun". (for movies though I'll take these over the NADs).

Thank you for this well-written comparison. Your description of the H6 sub-bass is fairly accurate but to be honest the sub bass isn't very prominent at all unless you're listening to a track that already has a lot of it in the mix, I've noticed at least most of the times. There are some jazz tracks where the sub bass is a little stronger than it should be but overall I feel it is well-behaved. The midrange dip is there and it unfortunately gives the headphone a tonality that is slightly "fake" and thin sounding to me which is really the only downside of the H6 to me, as the vocals don't have much body. It took me a while to feel that I could confirm that but again it's slight and only noticeable on certain recordings. They have great sound quality and resolution but not a whole ton of depth. I've also noticed over time that they can get a little congested and frequencies tend to blend a bit when things get too busy in the mix. Fortunately, the clear treble saves it from being muddy.

I'm still pretty new to the headphone game and I don't even know if I have a preferred sound yet but I do like the H6. I did a lot of reading on closed headphones that also had some sort of portability, the H6 based on my reading was the best match for me. I do still wonder how the other headphones sound though, as descriptions you read online don't tell the whole story (HP50, Oppo PM3, Meze 99, MDR-1A and P7 were my top contenders). I'm getting an HD6XX soon too. A lot of people use that as a reference point.

Sep 8, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #3,093 of 3,345
Your description of the H6 sub-bass is fairly accurate but to be honest the sub bass isn't very prominent at all unless you're listening to a track that already has a lot of it in the mix, I've noticed at least most of the times.
Yes, thank you for clarifying this. I'd say the sub bass is boosted, but respectfully and tastefully. Not atrociously. The rumble was certainly there at times, but its probably small compared to "bass-head" phones. Just enough presence for that extra oomph some people like. If the music doesn't have significant bass, the H6 Gen 2s won't be sounding bassy. Its enough to add a little kick to electronic low notes, movie explosions and vehicles though (these are sub bass heavy sounds admittedly), which the NAD doesn't do.

I haven't heard many headphones either...I'm guessing I would not be a fan of the V Moda M100.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #3,094 of 3,345
Yes, thank you for clarifying this. I'd say the sub bass is boosted, but respectfully and tastefully. Not atrociously. The rumble was certainly there at times, but its probably small compared to "bass-head" phones. Just enough presence for that extra oomph some people like. If the music doesn't have significant bass, the H6 Gen 2s won't be sounding bassy. Its enough to add a little kick to electronic low notes, movie explosions and vehicles though (these are sub bass heavy sounds admittedly), which the NAD doesn't do.

I haven't heard many headphones either...I'm guessing I would not be a fan of the V Moda M100.
Its weird, I’m noticing now after three months that I think the H6 is actually a little bright leaning. I’m learning a lot about some of my albums. Before these I used the M50x and their bass was boosted so not many recordings sounded over-bright. The H6 is revealing that to me more. Overall quite neutral though.

Sep 8, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #3,095 of 3,345

Worth mentioning that sub-bass in headphones is complex in the sense that it can never exactly match the experience of speakers or live performance. As Tyll Hertsens once explained: “With regular speaker listening, you get a significant amount of visceral input from the low notes through your body. For example: chest and nasal cavity compression is audible; as is bone-conducted sonic impact. With headphones, you don’t get these. (You get a bit of bone conduction with full-size circumaurals --- tap on the skull bone behind the flap of your ear, it’s quite audible.) So I agree that headphones should have some artificially high bass boost beyond what’s technically correct to compensate for these visceral input losses.”

How much headphones should compensate is still the subject of professional research and there has yet to be universal professional agreement on what is best (some of which is affected on a case by case basis by anatomical variations i.e. head size/shape or circumstantial variations, such as having to wear glasses, which can break the seal of earpads or affect bone conduction of sub-bass frequencies, but even then, with bone conduction being limited to the head, you’ll miss the full body bass experience).

Sep 8, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #3,096 of 3,345
Worth mentioning that sub-bass in headphones is complex in the sense that it can never exactly match the experience of speakers or live performance. As Tyll Hertsens once explained: “With regular speaker listening, you get a significant amount of visceral input from the low notes through your body. For example: chest and nasal cavity compression is audible; as is bone-conducted sonic impact. With headphones, you don’t get these. (You get a bit of bone conduction with full-size circumaurals --- tap on the skull bone behind the flap of your ear, it’s quite audible.) So I agree that headphones should have some artificially high bass boost beyond what’s technically correct to compensate for these visceral input losses.”

How much headphones should compensate is still the subject of professional research and there has yet to be universal professional agreement on what is best (some of which is affected on a case by case basis by anatomical variations i.e. head size/shape or circumstantial variations, such as having to wear glasses, which can break the seal of earpads or affect bone conduction of sub-bass frequencies, but even then, with bone conduction being limited to the head, you’ll miss the full body bass experience).
wow, I never thought about that. I can understand better now how people really like the H6 Gen 2's sub bass for general music listening (especially if they're using them while walking around outside where perceived bass decreases). I can also see why the H6 gen 1 vs gen 2 seem to have their separate fans, I'm guessing some people (like me) find the Gen 2 subtle thump a bit much for music, while some like the whole-bodied feel. Additionally I've read that true reference bass for sound mixing is often perceived as anemic bass. For example the NADs have some mid bass boost but it feels nice, not distracting. I guess that NAD are in the bass sweet spot for me. Its all interesting stuff, I can see why people end up buying a billion headphones and other equipments

Oct 15, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #3,099 of 3,345
Guys, anyone up here who tried these Brainwavz replacement pads for Sony MDR 7506 on HP50? If yes, whats your impressions, do they change the sound signature badly? Another thing I like to know, is how do they fit, is it difficult to put them on?

According to this cnet article they do fit.

THX

Oct 16, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #3,100 of 3,345
The article says it changes the sound. Personally, I wouldn't mess with them. If you don't like the fit, and you don't think your ears can get accustomed to them, I would move on to something else.

Oct 16, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #3,101 of 3,345
Just yersterday, I ordered the original replacement pads through the local shop, paid EUR 17,51 and expecting them in few days. Its not the comfort, the pads on my HP50 simply done after several years, however, if these were better quality, they would still be o.k., its just the pletter material that got worned out, oh well...

THX max232!

Oct 23, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #3,103 of 3,345
Looking forward to how they work for you. I have a pair of HP50 that comfortable but just barely but I like their sound enough I ordered a pair of HP70. So more comfy pads might make them both more enjoyable.

Oct 27, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #3,104 of 3,345
Picked up and already installed the new pads for HP50's. Frist impressions are good and to be honest, why shoudnt they be, as these are samish. Istalling pads are easy, just start from one shorter side, keep that part in place and rotate easy further, gently stretch out, keep that also in place and other side will just fit in almost itself. The edges inside on the back side of the pads have some kind of thin hardening layer that feels bit sharp, which helps to fit them easier.

These are old one

10189834.jpg

The new one

t20181027_135958.jpg

Comparing both
t20181027_140157.jpg

Installed
t20181027_141331.jpg

Attachments

• t20181027_111514.jpg
    t20181027_111514.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #3,105 of 3,345
Well, an interesting development has occurred.... I'm sure all owners of the NAD know that the earcups have a strict 90 degree rotation range, and will only rotate backward (why? the reason is beyond science). For many users this causes a broken seal in the lower-rear area behind the ear, as well as significant pressure on the cheekbone area in front of the ears. However, a few days ago, during normal use, the left earcup on my NAD swung...FOWARD.?!?

I'm not sure why, I'm not sure how, but it can swing forward now. It seems to be due to some sort of fatigue damage inside the hinge mechanism, but at the moment i have no complaints, since the ability to swing forward significantly increases the comfort. Interestingly, it can only swing forward when the hinge connection is popped out a little (see the last image below). When the hing connection is pushed back in to be flush, the earcup is restricted to its 90 degree rotation range again. Also, while normal NAD HP50 earcups spring automatically to neutral position, the left earcup hinge on the NAD i own has no automatic movement now, and in fact occasionally wants to automatically rotate backward once its off my head. Below u can see some images.

Has this happened to anyone else's NADs??

Neutral position (wire is in the left earcup):
NAD01.PNG

With the left earcup swung forward:
NAD03.PNG

The left hinge up close, you can see the connection is no longer flush, but it can be pushed back in to be flush once again:
NAD04.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back