NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Aug 30, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #3,076 of 3,345
I just picked up the HP50 and find them extremely comfortable. I have a 7 3/8 hat size, normal (not Dumbo) ears and a lot of hair. They're super light and sound fantastic.

I find them very comfortable too. When my daughter visited last weekend, I had her try mine. She was positively impressed and commented on how comfortable they were compared to her Momentum on-ear (not a very high bar for comfort, I admit). Conclusion: she received today her own HP50 in the mail (red, from Audio Advisor on clearance; my gift). :darthsmile:

Aug 31, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #3,077 of 3,345
I got a pair of these on clearance delivered yesterday, and did not take to them at all. initial comfort was poor, with the cross bar pressing down into my head. It also didn't help that the remote-less cable was defective, and on my first listen some weird phasing/filtering was making everything sound like it was being run through a karaoke preset, with the centre of the image being completely hollowed out and the rest of the sound being overly echoey. The remote control cable functioned properly, but the sound quality felt really boomy compared to my Sony MDR7506s.

I was going to bring them back to the store, but am wondering if they need some break-in both sonically and fit-wise? if they do, how long to make an informed decision?

Aug 31, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #3,078 of 3,345
I got a pair of these on clearance delivered yesterday, and did not take to them at all. initial comfort was poor, with the cross bar pressing down into my head. It also didn't help that the remote-less cable was defective, and on my first listen some weird phasing/filtering was making everything sound like it was being run through a karaoke preset, with the centre of the image being completely hollowed out and the rest of the sound being overly echoey. The remote control cable functioned properly, but the sound quality felt really boomy compared to my Sony MDR7506s.

I was going to bring them back to the store, but am wondering if they need some break-in both sonically and fit-wise? if they do, how long to make an informed decision?

They should not be that bad. I have struggled with the comfort but they have always sounded good...except when I tried Brainwavz pads on them.

Aug 31, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #3,079 of 3,345
I got a pair of these on clearance delivered yesterday, and did not take to them at all. initial comfort was poor, with the cross bar pressing down into my head.

Did you try loosening them up a notch on each side and seeing if you can still get a good seal? I discovered that part of my initial comfort issue was related to me simply putting them on too tight. Since figuring that out, I've worn these for hours while I slept on an overseas flight.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #3,080 of 3,345

You must have a noggin' the size of a garbage can lid! No seriously, if they don't sound good, send them back. There's something wrong with them. I've heard all kind of negativity about these phones but sound wasn't one of them. How much were they on clearance and where if you don't mind me asking?

Aug 31, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #3,081 of 3,345
You must have a noggin' the size of a garbage can lid! No seriously, if they don't sound good, send them back. There's something wrong with them. I've heard all kind of negativity about these phones but sound wasn't one of them. How much were they on clearance and where if you don't mind me asking?

I'm going to give them another try tonight, but AB-ing them with the Sonys, it wasn't even close which one sounded better to me. They were $98 CDN, so $111 all in after tax and shipping. no-brainer to give them a shot.

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #3,085 of 3,345
okay so having spent some more time with these, adjusting the fit and stretching out the headband overnight, I'm warming to them. The sound signature is definitely quite different to what I'm accustomed to, and I think I'll always wish there was a little more energy in the treble, I'm enjoying the spaciousness of the sound overall versus the Sonys.

That said, the ribbon cable is still borked so I've emailed NAD to hopefully send me a replacement. But even if they do, I get the sense that these would do well with an upgraded, sturdier cable. I've read through the thread here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nad-viso-hp50-replacement-cables.718180/ and want to be sure I understand - are there any specific connector requirements for these things, besides TRS 3.5mm plugs? Any other restrictions, either physical or electrical, I need to be aware of before buying?

thanks

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #3,086 of 3,345
okay so having spent some more time with these, adjusting the fit and stretching out the headband overnight, I'm warming to them. The sound signature is definitely quite different to what I'm accustomed to, and I think I'll always wish there was a little more energy in the treble, I'm enjoying the spaciousness of the sound overall versus the Sonys.

That said, the ribbon cable is still borked so I've emailed NAD to hopefully send me a replacement. But even if they do, I get the sense that these would do well with an upgraded, sturdier cable. I've read through the thread here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nad-viso-hp50-replacement-cables.718180/ and want to be sure I understand - are there any specific connector requirements for these things, besides TRS 3.5mm plugs? Any other restrictions, either physical or electrical, I need to be aware of before buying?

thanks

I compared this third-party cable (marketed as for the Sony MDR-1A https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y7UCQ4M/ ) to the stock cable and even though the connectors on the headphone end are slightly different (but both 3.5mm obviously), they worked and sounded the same to me:

Third-party cable vs NAD VISO HP50 cable.jpg

Sep 1, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #3,087 of 3,345
I compared this third-party cable (marketed as for the Sony MDR-1A https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y7UCQ4M/ ) to the stock cable and even though the connectors on the headphone end are slightly different (but both 3.5mm obviously), they worked and sounded the same to me:

Others have said that NAD requires you to contact the original place of purchase for warranty request. I know right?

Sep 5, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #3,088 of 3,345
Tested NAD Viso HP50

NAD Viso HP50 presented several reports, which are different levels of difficulty.

Professional reports contain graphs and tables
Simple reports – a description of the characteristics in a simple language
On-line comparison and selection services for NAD Viso HP50

Sep 8, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #3,089 of 3,345
I haven't heard the HP50 but I do have the H6 and it is often compared to the HP50. Firstly, the H6 feel over ear to me, the only part that doesn't fit inside the cup is the very bottom of my earlobe. The NAD's do have more bass, from what I've heard, more mid bass at least, they have a pretty warm signature. The H6 has a strong sub-bass.

I got a used pair of H6 2nd gens and have been listening to both them and the NAD HP50s unamped with no external DAC. Firstly I'll say that the H6 2nd gens are slightly less efficient than the NADs, as I had to up the volume meter a couple of notches to make them have the same volume as the NADs (this is just an observation, not a complaint. Both sound fine straight out of a phone.) In my comparisons I made sure to get both to output the same volume. Additionally, I find the H6s to definitely be more comfy than the NADs overall, and both of them are over ear for me. I actually prefer the controversial headband of the NAD since it disappears on my head, as the H6 headband creates a slight pressure point due to thin padding.

I can confirm that the H6 gen 2 has more sub bass than the NADs. I think the H6's sub bass will be great for movies and such. For example, in this video with the H6 you get the rumble as ship's fly by, while with the NADs you can hear the low notes, but there's simply no deep rumble (also remember both headphones are unamped):

For non-electronic music I could see the H6 2nd gen's sub bass getting too much at times for realistic instrument reproduction, but for electronic music it could be fine & maybe even good for some people who like that sub bass feel. I can't comment on the other qualities of the H6 2nd gens like the lower-mid frequency dip (some say recessed male vocals & guitars?) or soundstage since I don't have that sharp of an ear. I'll be keeping both since I got them cheap (here's where I boast: i snagged the H6s from ebay at $88.71 + $10 shipping USD)

EDIT: i should mention that both headphones were fully sealed, so that did not influence the bass presences (although obtaining full seal is much easier with the H6 than with the NAD, which requires some adjustment at first). I'd say for music listening I like the NADs better, simply because outside of movies I find the sense of feeling sub bass to be distracting, not "fun". (for movies though I'll take these over the NADs).

EDIT 2: For those in the future wondering about the H6 Gen 2, I should clarify that its sub bass is not atrocious. Its just enough to add a tasteful oomph to the mix.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #3,090 of 3,345
Additionally, I find the H6s to definitely be more comfy than the NADs overall, and both of them are over ear for me. I actually prefer the controversial headband of the NAD since it disappears on my head, as the H6 headband creates a slight pressure point due to thin padding.

Very useful comparison.

As for comfort, I agree totally with what you said in the part I quoted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back