NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
May 1, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #991 of 3,345
Yes, totally agree about the short flimsy cable included with a $300 headphone from a high-end company like NAD. Even though these seem to be advertised as mobile/portable headphones it would've been nice to have a longer and more substantial cable included for home use.

I believe the V-Moda audio only cable is confirmed to fit the HP50 jack:

http://v-moda.com/audio-only-cable/

Also some Ebay generic cables:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-BLK-3-5mm-Audio-Cable-Cord-for-V-Moda-On-Ear-True-Blood-V-80-headphone-/141214613847?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item20e10c0157

May 2, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #993 of 3,345
They seem to be the same cables except for the microphone cable being shorter. Looking at the specs on the v-moda site and comparison chart, both cables have the same headphone compatibility.

May 2, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #994 of 3,345
Well, I just received mine today. Gave them a quick listen for about 40 mins with my GeekOut. They sound very very good! I like them. They are very efficient too, I have to keep the volume very low to have a reasonable volume. But my problem is that freaking headband. I don't like it at all. I need to do some more listening and determine if I like the sound so much that I might not care, which is too bad, because I would like to keep them, but that head band...... It's too thick and also square looking against the head. If it was flatter and with an arched headband that would follow better the contour of a head, it would have been a no contest. No problems with the ear cups at all though

May 3, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #995 of 3,345
Does NAD or anyone else make a longer headphone cable for the HP50?

May 3, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #996 of 3,345
The V-MODA audio-only and Apple/Android cables all have the same plug and fit the VISO.  The mike cable does have the same connector as the others, but the coiled one might not fit (looks like a different plug design),  But the VISO cable won't fit the V-MODA XS (the plug diameter is too large).

The VISO cable is far less microphonic than the V-MODA, though.  The gauge of the wire might well be the same, because the VISO cable is flat and the V-MODA is round and has a kevlar jacket over the insulation.

May 3, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #998 of 3,345
  Contact Drew at Moon Audio he made one for my VISO.  I tried the V-MODA cable and was disappointed, poor SQ and  microphonics and it felt poor quality.

What was the length and the price?
Did it sound as good or better than the stock cable?
If you would rather tell me privately, just send me a pm.
Thanks.

May 3, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #999 of 3,345
  What was the length and the price?
Did it sound as good or better than the stock cable?
If you would rather tell me privately, just send me a pm.
Thanks.

6 FT contact Drew as you can choose "Blue", Black" and "Silver Dragon" and the choice will impact the price I chose "Blue Dragon" the Oyaide 3.5 mm connectors work.  The SQ is more transparent , increase detail and sound stage.

May 4, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #1,000 of 3,345
At the risk of prolonging all this wire talk, I too was unhappy with the absurdly short and cheapo form factor of the supplied cable, and bought a longer (and stylishly red-sheathed, to match my HP50's color) V-Moda cable, per the recommendation earlier in this thread.

Somewhat flummoxed by the claims above that the V-Moda cable degraded the SQ compared with the stock cable, I did a bunch of A/B testing of the two during a long listening session tonight, and damned if I could hear a lick of difference between the two. The headphones sounded equally great with both of them. So put me down as a dissenter regarding the alleged inferiority of the V-Moda cable.

May 4, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #1,001 of 3,345
Well, I finally bought a pair of NAD Viso HP50's the other day, burned them in for 50 hours with pink noise, and bass heavy music, and did comparisons with the HD650, HD600, and AKG Q701's with the bass mod.
The AKG and the 600 have stock cables, and the 650 has a Stefan Audio Art Equinox cable.
The amp is a HeadAmp GS-1, the sources are a Oppo BDP-95, and Marantz CD6004 optical disc players.
All genres of music were used for comparison.
The NAD's sound remarkably good even compared to these headphones, and they are comfortable. I do hate the short, flimsy cable a lot though.
I do think a better cable would improve the sound even further.
The NAD's are clean, clear, crisp, and relatively flat, with a warm tilt, with relatively responsive bass, and good low bass extension. They do have a very spacious sound for a closed headphone, and have a nice black background. They are more than competitive with any closed headphone I have heard.
They are very easy to drive, and go really loud with very little power.
They have more bass/midrange body, and a flatter midrange response than the AKG Q701. The HP50's don't sound peaky in the upper mids/low treble like the AKG either. The AKG's sound somewhat thinner, and can, at times, sound somewhat more shrill.
The sound seems closer and more forward than the AKG's as well...in a good way. The AKG's, oddly, can sound somewhat distant, and diffused, compared to the NAD's, or Sennheisers.
The sound on the NAD's is definitely warmer.
The treble extension seems surprisingly similar. The AKG's are slightly more spacious than the HP50, but the imaging can be less solid and less accurately placed than the NAD. The bass extension sounds slightly better on the NAD, but the AKG's is tighter and better textured.
The NAD's are much easier to drive, and don't distort on bass heavy music at higher volumes like the AKG's do. Overall, I prefer the NAD HP50.
Compared to the HD 650, the HP50 seems to have somewhat similar bass extension, and somewhat tighter bass with less mid/upper bass emphasis. The mids are comparable in neutrality, with the NAD's sounding slighltly more forward in the mids. The 650's do sound slightly more open, and spacious, with somewhat better detail resolution in the mids and highs. They both are great at giving body and some heft to voices and instruments.
They both sound somewhat dark, with the NAD's having a noticeable slight peak in the low/mid treble compared to the 650. The 650's as hard as it is to believe, seem to have slightly better treble extension in the top octave?! The NAD's do sound slightly more "closed in" than the 650. Vocals on the 650 seem to have a little more "air" than the NAD.
Overall its a toss-up, with a slight preference going to the 650. This is remarkable, considering the fact that the 650's cost almost double.
Compared to the HD 600, the NAD has better bass extension and bass tightness, with less emphasis in the mid/upper bass. At first the 600's, as well as the 650's, can sound alittle more impressive in the bass, due to the mid/upper bass hump, but the NAD's do go lower than the 600's without a doubt.
The HD600 does seem to have somewhat better detail resolution in the mids and highs, and the mids have more presence than the NAD, but is slightly grainy sounding compared to the NAD.
The NAD's do seem to give voices and instruments more body and heft than the 600's. The 600's seem to have a slightly more open and extended top-end than the NAD.
Imaging and spaciousness is comparable. The NAD does sound alittle more "closed in" or "canned" compared to the 600.
The NAD's are really, really great, especially for closed headphones, but if I had to choose, I would have to go with the 600 for overall neutrality, and overall treble response by a hair.
The NAD's are easier to drive than either the 600 or 650,
The only real weaknesses I could find with the NAD's sound would be just a touch too much warm tilt, for my tastes, a very slight dark sound, a slight peak somewhere in the low/mid treble, compared to the sennheisers, which can, or something else in their overall frequency response, at times give them a slight coloration or "canned" sound, and a slight roll-off on top, compared to the 600 or 650.
I'm still debating on whether or not to keep the NAD's, or send them back, since they do so many things really well.
Just thought I would share my experience.
Your thoughts or findings compared to these headphones would be appreciated. 
wink.gif

May 5, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #1,002 of 3,345
Not sure if anyone else suffered from small creaking and popping noises in the cups from the headband mechanism, but I finally cracked and went on a hunt for the culprit.

I took the cups apart down to the spring loaded swivel to hunt for that sucker and got it. Now my set is completely silent as i walk, shake my head or do anything other than sit obsessively still while listening.

The two things that nailed it were packing the spring rotation joint with grease and putting two small balls of bluetak on the point where the band comes through the cup and attaches to the plastic.

It is pure gold imho :)

May 5, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #1,003 of 3,345
At the risk of prolonging all this wire talk, I too was unhappy with the absurdly short and cheapo form factor of the supplied cable, and bought a longer (and stylishly red-sheathed, to match my HP50's color) V-Moda cable, per the recommendation earlier in this thread.

Somewhat flummoxed by the claims above that the V-Moda cable degraded the SQ compared with the stock cable, I did a bunch of A/B testing of the two during a long listening session tonight, and damned if I could hear a lick of difference between the two. The headphones sounded equally great with both of them. So put me down as a dissenter regarding the alleged inferiority of the V-Moda cable.

Totally agree, I don't hear any difference with mine either (I also have the red!).

May 5, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #1,005 of 3,345
Any recommendations on portable dac amp for this headphones, how's fiio e18

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

These don't really require amping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back