NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Aug 12, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #437 of 1,623
Aug 13, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #438 of 1,623
Are there any comparisons to the Anedio D2??

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #439 of 1,623
Based on the Stereophile review, I wont be seeking out any more of Jon Iverson's reviews. A real eye-opener for those who seem  to delight in bagging Wes Phillips - I'll take Wes' reviews and editorial comment any day of the week. 

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #440 of 1,623
^^^ 

Agreed. That was a review remarkable only for its timidity and pointlessness. Jon Iverson's listening room: where receivers and the DAC 1 reign...

o

Aug 15, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #443 of 1,623
What amp are you using ?

Meier Audio Corda Classic and Bifrost DAC. But through this gear I have a comfortable sound, there are no any lacks of HD800 for what another people turn down these wonderful headphones.

But I trying to find a "musically" DAC, which have a slightly colored sweetly sound, but not too dark or too much brightly. And as I understand M51 that is what I need :)

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #445 of 1,623
Quote:
Meier Audio Corda Classic and Bifrost DAC. But through this gear I have a comfortable sound, there are no any lacks of HD800 for what another people turn down these wonderful headphones.
But I trying to find a "musically" DAC, which have a slightly colored sweetly sound, but not too dark or too much brightly. And as I understand M51 that is what I need
smily_headphones1.gif

I am using the HD800 w/ALO Salty-pepper, with DNA Sonett or the Phonitor, and the PS Audio DLIII. The HD800 sound great in that set up. I just placed an order for the M51 to replace the DLIII, but my dealer is out of stock and will ship my DAC at the begining of the next month. I can share my experiance when it arrives, if you are willing to wait that long...

Aug 15, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #446 of 1,623
Quote:
 I am using the HD800 w/ALO Salty-pepper, with DNA Sonett or the Phonitor, and the PS Audio DLIII. The HD800 sound great in that set up. I just placed an order for the M51 to replace the DLIII, but my dealer is out of stock and will ship my DAC at the begining of the next month. I can share my experiance when it arrives, if you are willing to wait that long...

Thank you much, I'll be happy to know you impressions about M51.

Also I'm very-very interested how M51 differs from W4S Dac2 in sounding. I want to add some mood to a neutral HD800. 

Aug 16, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #449 of 1,623
So, I've received a thoughts about comparisons M51 with W4S DAC-2. Here is it:

I owned a WFS DAC2 for a long time and now own a M51.  The WFS via its USB was slightly sibilancy, analytic, with a cold top end some uncharitable people described like out of a freezer.  It improves markedly if you use a device like an Audiopellio 2 or Off-Ramp, but still is not to my taste being slightly analytic.  The NAD is much more relaxed and natural sounding being anything but analytic - like the Metrum it has a sound like spring-water - fresh and naturally invigorating.  Its USB, while still improved by devices like the Audiophellio it is not to as great an extent.  Add in the HDMI inputs and to me its a no brainier - get the NAD.

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #450 of 1,623
But I trying to find a "musically" DAC, which have a slightly colored sweetly sound, but not too dark or too much brightly. And as I understand M51 that is what I need :)

Look into Wolfson 8741 DACs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back