NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Dec 15, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #1,546 of 1,623
I still don't know how it works on a hardware level. Is it R2R or DS or neither?

If you have the time you may want to search the patent office. My guess is they patented the process. So if you know the technical implementations of those techniques mentioned, you may be able to draw similarities or differences to how NAD describes they do it in these PWM devices.

Mar 4, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #1,547 of 1,623
Does anyone know the code of the remote? I'm trying to use a universal one but with no success

Thanks

Mar 19, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #1,548 of 1,623
Hi guys and everyone who also own a NAD M51, I've got an important question for you! I've been having mine for almost 3 weeks, connected trhough USB on my computer. I've got the XLR to my Rotel's power amp, and thought about using the RCA's output for my headphone so I could quickly switch between the speakers and that in a matter of second without having to unplug cables and swap them everytime.

Question:
Now the weird thing I've noticed... it's that when I connect my 250Ohm headphone "see signature" directly into a small (RCA to Female 3.5mm) adapter directly behind the NAD, I can get pleeeenty enough of volume even if it's only a DAC + Pre-Amp, and that it isn't suppose to have any power-amp section anywhere inside. I do know from the specs that for the RCA the line-level is 2.38v and it's output impedence is 141Ohm. I don't know if my math are then wrong cause I went on a (Ohm Law's Calculator) and with these numbers it gives 0.04W or 40mW only, yet I can confortably listen loud enough around -15dB and the highest I've been able to go is 0dB which was right perfect with a high dynamic "low volume" recording. If you guys wonder, the T90 are 250Ohm at 125dB/V so quite sensitive already.

So yes, first I did not understand why I had so much power already without an amp, while simply having my headphone connected directly to the NAD, then I've connected it to my (Fiio E12) and my new (Fiio A5) since 2 days ago, kept it on Low Gain, raised the volume knob on it's maximum and the volume was exactly the same let's say at -15dB on the NAD, wether or not I was bypassing my portable amplifier or not. What?! O_o

That whole confusion now makes me wonder why the heck would I buy an external desktop headphone amplifier which would be easily 200-350$CAD, just to have the same volume output even on 250Ohm headphones?! I then though that okay no change for the volume but maybe I'd get improved bass, clearer highs, etc... but it wasn't apparent enough to be noticeable by the time I unplug the headphone cord from the amp to connect it directly to the NAD. It's harder to compare when you gotta pause the sound for 5 seconds between each tests but then that means IF there is a difference, it must be insignefiant right? :/

Jun 9, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #1,549 of 1,623
Anyone else recently install the M51 driver and encounter a Virus alert by their endpoint protection of the form:

Filename: uninstall.exe
Threat name: Trojan.Gen
Full Path: c:\program files\nad\usbaudiodriver\uninstall.exe

On computers as of
6/9/2017 at 2:30:37 PM

Last Used
6/9/2017 at 2:30:37 PM

Startup Item
No

Launched
No

Threat type: Virus. Programs that infect other programs, files, or areas of a computer by inserting themselves or attaching themselves to that medium.

uninstall.exe Threat name: Trojan.Gen
Locate

Few Users
Hundreds of users in the Norton Community have used this file.

Mature
This file was released 6 months ago.

High
This file risk is high.

Source: External Media

File Actions

File: c:\program files\nad\usbaudiodriver\ uninstall.exe Blocked

File Thumbprint - SHA:
Not available
File Thumbprint - MD5:
Not available

Nov 8, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #1,554 of 1,623
Hello, you cannot get it over here, reach to nad support on their website, they will get back to you fast.

Vladio

I sent them a message and their response says otherwise:

Thank you for contacting the NAD Electronics Support Center regarding your NAD M51 Firmware. Please be advised that all available firmware can be found on our product page under the downloads section.

https://nadelectronics.com/product/m51-direct-digital-dac/

We hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards

So I'll ask again. Does anyone have version firmware 1.39 they could share with me?

Thanks

Nov 13, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #1,555 of 1,623
So I'll ask again. Does anyone have version firmware 1.39 they could share with me?

Thanks

Email sent to you!
Take in mind that only old M51's accept firmware v1.39. Mine does not accept it because is s/n: H48xxxx.
Personally I think it sound fantastic with firmware v1.50. Could be a mite that v1.39 sound better in old M51's?
I would like to see someone making a side to side comparisons.

Best regards

Dec 23, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #1,558 of 1,623
I have an early revision of the M51, with newer firmware. While happy, I wouldn't mind trying 1.39, to see what all the fuss is about. Anyone know of a link to a shared online folder having the firmware?

Edit: thank you to everyone that DM'ed me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back