NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Jun 28, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #1,441 of 1,623
 Between DH-Labs D-110 AES/EBU and Harmonic Technology Magic Link II AES/EBU after auditioning I settled for the Harmonic Technology ...

Did you do any blind listening tests to see if un-sighted you could actually hear any difference? Just curious.

Yes I always do that.. To rule out any subconscious desire to pick a cable because it's more expensive or because it uses different materials :)

Jul 14, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #1,442 of 1,623
Hi guys,

I just bought a NAD M51 here. And I have a question:

As far as I've read, the M51 has 2 volume settings: fixed and variable. I initially thought that the fixed volume can be enabled in ALL volume steps available (i.e -10, -9, -8db...). But when I set my M51 to fixed setting, the volume automatically turned into -6db and the volume setting on the remote was disabled.

Is my M51 normal (i.e the fixed volume setting = -6db volume)? Or my M51 has some problems?

Thanks in advance,
Kratos.

Jul 15, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #1,443 of 1,623
If it's fixed, it doesn't need fixing..........   
wink_face.gif

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #1,444 of 1,623
  If it's fixed, it doesn't need fixing..........   
wink_face.gif

I will have to look, but I believe my volume has been set to fixed at 0db. Maybe I'm remembering this incorrectly?

Jul 16, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #1,445 of 1,623
Did anybody have a chance to compare M51 with new wadia 122? Wha are another options of dac with pre in this budget?

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #1,446 of 1,623
Hi guys,

As far as I've read, the M51 has 2 volume settings: fixed and variable. I initially thought that the fixed volume can be enabled in ALL volume steps available (i.e -10, -9, -8db...). But when I set my M51 to fixed setting, the volume automatically turned into -6db and the volume setting on the remote was disabled.

Is my M51 normal (i.e the fixed volume setting = -6db volume)? Or my M51 has some problems?

Thanks in advance,
Kratos.

The fixed volume can also be configured.. The setup button on the remote and then go to volume setup and fixed. There you can set as you please

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #1,447 of 1,623
The fixed volume can also be configured.. The setup button on the remote and then go to volume setup and fixed. There you can set as you please

Yes, thanks I had forgotten to reply, but as WDitters said, the fixed volume can still be set. Mine as mentioned is at 0db and I opted for that setting as the higher gain configuration problem at 0db had been fixed several firmware revisions back so it is fine. 

Jul 20, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #1,448 of 1,623
  Hi guys,

Thanks in advance,
Kratos.

What a lot of us (M51 owners) do is play with the volume until it sounds the best through your amp and speakers.
Once you find that sweet spot, you leave it there.
Mine was between -4db and -6db. At 0db my M51 sounded real lean in my setup and at -4db to -6db it was perfect. Some people go all the way down to -20db even.

Jul 20, 2015 at 9:17 AM Post #1,449 of 1,623

What a lot of us (M51 owners) do is play with the volume until it sounds the best through your amp and speakers.
Mine was between -4db and -6db. At 0db my M51 sounded real lean in my setup and at -4db to -6db it was perfect. Some people go all the way down to -20db even.

So funny, as you know I now own your M51 and although I simply updated the firmware version and left it at 0db without comparison to other settings it has never felt lean. That might be due to system synergy in that my NAD M3 is slightly warm and I would also suggest that my speakers are also toward warm so perhaps that accounts for our differing approach?

Jul 20, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #1,450 of 1,623

So funny, as you know I now own your M51 and although I simply updated the firmware version and left it at 0db without comparison to other settings it has never felt lean. That might be due to system synergy in that my NAD M3 is slightly warm and I would also suggest that my speakers are also toward warm so perhaps that accounts for our differing approach?

It all depends on how the other parts work together. Throughout the thread you will see different opinions as to what the best volume setting is for the best sound. In your case it is 0db, for me it is -4 to -6db, depending on what music I play and it goes all the way down to -20db for some.
One thing is clear, after I sold my M51 to you and trying a few other DACs, there is not better DAC in that price range. Ton loads of detail, but so easy to listen to for hours. That is why I just bought one back....

Once you go M51, you'll never like an other one...

Jul 20, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #1,452 of 1,623

Hi karmanfamily,

Thanks for your reply. I figured how to configure the volume setting in fixed mode. It was much easier than I initially thought.

BTW, I also have some questions which I couldn't find the answers:

- Is there any way to know which firmware version M51s are using?

- I'm using an external USB - S/PDIF converter feeding my M51 via coaxial input (I don't plan to use USB input of the M51 as from what I've read, the USB input is likely inferior to the coaxial input). So upgrading firmware affects the sound quality of the M51 only by using the USB input or also all other inputs? If I upgrade firmware for my M51 and use my USB - S/PDIF converter connecting to my M51 via coaxial, do my M51 produce different sound quality?

Thanks in advance,
Kratos.

Jul 20, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #1,453 of 1,623
Hey guys,

This question is aimed at those of you that use streaming services like Tidal. I was looking for a little advice on what sources you use. I had been using my Mac mini as a temporary option. I don't want to upgrade it, nor build anything (don't have the time right now). I would prefer something I can control off an ipad.

I was looking at the Auralic Aries. Been waiting on a used unit to show up. I got a Bryston BDP-1 to try out and while it sounds amazing with external drives, it's streaming service is still in beta and somewhat unreliable. (Will likely post to classifieds very soon-let me know if anyone is interested)

I'm having trouble finding other comparable units, but would greatly appreciate your feedback as it could be in reference to the synergism with the NAD.

Thanks

Jul 21, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #1,454 of 1,623
Hey guys,

This question is aimed at those of you that use streaming services like Tidal. I was looking for a little advice on what sources you use. I had been using my Mac mini as a temporary option. I don't want to upgrade it, nor build anything (don't have the time right now). I would prefer something I can control off an ipad.

I was looking at the Auralic Aries. Been waiting on a used unit to show up. I got a Bryston BDP-1 to try out and while it sounds amazing with external drives, it's streaming service is still in beta and somewhat unreliable. (Will likely post to classifieds very soon-let me know if anyone is interested)

I'm having trouble finding other comparable units, but would greatly appreciate your feedback as it could be in reference to the synergism with the NAD.

Thanks

I'm not sure what if anything will improve the SQ of Tidal. I use Tidal quite a bit and even at 320 it sounds pretty darn good (and I was paying for lossless, but I couldn't really hear a difference). Heck just get JRiver and install the WDM driver. At least on a PC it sounds great and when you play Tidal, it comes through JRiver where if you must you can use DSP if you like. I'm not sure of the true fidelity of the solution, but it really does sound quite good. I'm actually very surprised how good Tidal sounds and I find I rarely use my lossless ripped collection as streaming Tidal is very satisfying. Maybe if I worked at it and wanted to find flaws I could, but frankly nothing seems obviously wrong to me so I say even Tidal right from the browser seems darn good.

Jul 21, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #1,455 of 1,623
  Hi karmanfamily,

Thanks for your reply. I figured how to configure the volume setting in fixed mode. It was much easier than I initially thought.

BTW, I also have some questions which I couldn't find the answers:

- Is there any way to know which firmware version M51s are using?

- I'm using an external USB - S/PDIF converter feeding my M51 via coaxial input (I don't plan to use USB input of the M51 as from what I've read, the USB input is likely inferior to the coaxial input). So upgrading firmware affects the sound quality of the M51 only by using the USB input or also all other inputs? If I upgrade firmware for my M51 and use my USB - S/PDIF converter connecting to my M51 via coaxial, do my M51 produce different sound quality?

Thanks in advance,
Kratos.

Where did you hear the USB input is inferior? Sounds dubious to me. I used the USB on my M51 and recently moved to using the Melodius MX U8 and feed the M51 via AES now, but I can't hear a difference. Now it is very hard to go back and forth between the two inputs so perhaps in blind testing I could hear the difference, but I doubt it. In my experience all of these claims of various sound quality improvements via differing inputs are always non-blind tests so you need to be very careful with those claims. Test it yourself, get a friend to come over and switch between inputs when you are out of the room and when blindfolded see if out of 10 trials 8 out of 10 times you pick the SPDIF as sounding better. If you can, you might have something. I'm not saying there isn't a difference, but the USB section in the M51 is quite good.

If you do the blind tests make sure your friend is very careful not to give hints. Tell us if you can reliably pick out the SPDIF input. I admit I tried out of curiosity and frankly as the MX U8 wasn't very expensive so not exactly a big risk. The MX U8 is supposed to be a decent entry level SPDIF converter so I figured why not try? No regrets, it certainly didn't degrade the sound quality, but I can't say it sounds better either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back