NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
May 12, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #1,366 of 1,623

I think the USB is excellent. I used an Audiophilleo for a while and then went back to using the USB.

i had the same experience when i first bought the ap/ilink to pair with nad, then got the di2014 and it made the nad sound at least 2 times better :))
once you heard it with the di2014 via coaxial port you cant really go back to usb and realize how digital sound it is

May 12, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #1,368 of 1,623

Nice, thank you! I already own a Schiit Wyrd so that would perhaps improve it a little.

The Schiit Wyred will improve it more than a little bit. The M51 responds well to USB power conditioners. That said, I settled on the Puc2 Lite. But I think spending more than a few hundred on the M51 doesn't make sense nowadays as it is growing a bit long in the tooth...

May 13, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #1,369 of 1,623
  The Schiit Wyred will improve it more than a little bit. The M51 responds well to USB power conditioners. That said, I settled on the Puc2 Lite. But I think spending more than a few hundred on the M51 doesn't make sense nowadays as it is growing a bit long in the tooth...

No it won't, or it shouldn't anyway. I have just confirmed with NAD directly that the XMOS receiver does not use the power from the USB, it gets it directly from the chip. Not sure how a USB power conditioner can change that as the power signal will not be utilized. Here is the message from NAD:

Hello Mark,
Thank you for contacting the NAD Electronics Support Centre regarding your M51 XMos USB receiver. Please be advised that the USB B port is powered from internal supply so no need for an external supply.
We hope this information is helpful.

May 13, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #1,370 of 1,623

No it won't, or it shouldn't anyway. I have just confirmed with NAD directly that the XMOS receiver does not use the power from the USB, it gets it directly from the chip. Not sure how a USB power conditioner can change that as the power signal will not be utilized. Here is the message from NAD:

Hello Mark,
Thank you for contacting the NAD Electronics Support Centre regarding your M51 XMos USB receiver. Please be advised that the USB B port is powered from internal supply so no need for an external supply.
We hope this information is helpful.

wyrd has 2 functions
one is usb power conditioner which take care of power line ie, +5V
the other is usb signal buffer via an addition clock, this take care the "signal" line
hence even if the dac does not draw any power from computer usb port, it still gains benefit from conditioned signal line

May 14, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #1,371 of 1,623

Don't be fooled into thinking there are all these great advances in DAC technology, much of these advances are miniscule differences and a DAC today is far more similar from a DAC that is 20 years old than it is different. There is an active thread here where people who own really nice modern DACs have been buying up 20 year old Theta DACs and finding they prefer the sound, or can't really hear that big a difference.

Do you really think that there has been that much change in DAC technology that has trickled down into affordable consumer products? Perhaps in the very expensive esoteric DAC world there are some significant implementation approach changes, but I'll bet in blind listening tests even those might be hard to spot. There are more flavours due to filter development/tweaking, but the underlying technology is still pretty darn similar, and some of the newer filters are very digital sounding which can be good or bad.

I just don't think a 4 year old DAC qualifies as long in the tooth. Under the hood, they still convert ones and zeros pretty much the same as they have for years.

May 14, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #1,372 of 1,623
Does anybody have the instructions for updating the firmware? I have 1.50 on a USB key, but I forget the key combinations I need to do. Any instructions would be appreciated. Currently I'm running 1.41. Cheers.

May 15, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #1,373 of 1,623
  Does anybody have the instructions for updating the firmware? I have 1.50 on a USB key, but I forget the key combinations I need to do. Any instructions would be appreciated. Currently I'm running 1.41. Cheers.

Hello Sonic Defender

The  M51 Firmware update instruction PDF is provided with the update in the same zip file that you download from NAD website.
and to make it easier for you:

first you go here and download the update
http://nadelectronics.com/download-agree/141204162109-Software-M51-SB201402-Web.zip%7CM51-software-upgrade-V1_50

by clicking on agree at the end of the page
1. Download and save the NAD provided zip file to your computer. Unzip the file, extract and store the “xxxxx.hex” file to an empty USB memory stick.   
2. Connect the USB memory stick (with “xxxxx.hex” file already stored) to the USB input (rear panel UPGRADE input for M51).  With the unit plugged-in to a mains power source, press and hold the front panel Standby button.  While holding down the Standby button, switch ON the rear panel POWER switch. 
3. Release the Standby button when “Updating” is displayed on the front panel. The unit will automatically go to standby mode after completion of the update.

also if you want to know what update ver you got

HOW TO CHECK SOFTWARE  DETAILS
1 Press and hold front panel INPUT or the Source Right u(C510) button while switching ON the rear panel   POWER switch.                                                                                 
2 “SETUP”, “VFD TEST”, “Vx.xx” (software number) and “RESET” will be shown in the display.                                                                                                                                         
3  Note “V x.xx” for the software number details.

there is a PDF file within the first zip contains the  instructions.

Good luck.

May 15, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #1,374 of 1,623
Thanks brother, appreciated. So funny I never looked more carefully at the zip archive.

May 15, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #1,375 of 1,623
Perhaps a silly question but has anyone compared the M51 against an integrated streamer such as the Marantz NA-8005 / Pioneer N-70A or even more expensive ones such as Naim NDX / Marantz NA-11S1 ? 

I'm wondering whether M51 + proper transport might not end up being more expensive than an all-in-one solution. 

May 15, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #1,376 of 1,623
  Perhaps a silly question but has anyone compared the M51 against an integrated streamer such as the Marantz NA-8005 / Pioneer N-70A or even more expensive ones such as Naim NDX / Marantz NA-11S1 ? 

I'm wondering whether M51 + proper transport might not end up being more expensive than an all-in-one solution. 

Perhaps, but then you don't have your eggs all in one basket. Separate components gives you flexibility whereas a single platform product might suffer technology lag easier. You can build/buy a simple PC transport very affordably. Just a thought.

May 15, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #1,378 of 1,623
I've just upgraded my firmware from 1.39 to 1.50. I haven't heard anything that makes me regret the upgrade. It sounds much the same tbh.

I did have trouble with the process as the upgrade would not initiate when using a 4gb usb stick. NAD recommends a 2gb or less usb drive and I was able to perform the upgrade when I loaded the firmware onto a 1gb drive. All good so far.

May 15, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #1,379 of 1,623
  I've just upgraded my firmware from 1.39 to 1.50. I haven't heard anything that makes me regret the upgrade. It sounds much the same tbh.

I did have trouble with the process as the upgrade would not initiate when using a 4gb usb stick. NAD recommends a 2gb or less usb drive and I was able to perform the upgrade when I loaded the firmware onto a 1gb drive. All good so far.

Crap, I only have a 16GB stick. WTH? How can anybody find 2GB, a time machine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back