NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Jan 27, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #646 of 1,623
Alright, let me first start by saying that I don't speak the "hi-fi language" but I do consider myself to have an excellent ear for accuracy.

The machine sounds awesome, but I must admit that I struggled the first few days to find a connection set-up that did not result in a harsh clipping/screeching noise. I scoured the message boards looking for a fix, but could not find one.... I told myself if/when I find out how to fix this, I would share it on this message board for anyone else that needed help.

The bulk of the discussion on these boards seems to be about it's sound quality, which it definitely fantastic! However, one potential downside that I've found, and I believe I've since fixed, is the set-up:

For example, when I connected HDMI cables from my Direct TV and Apple TV directly into the DAC, and then used the HDMI out to the TV, I consistently had error/sound problems, almost like a sonic boom noise.... by using the DAC remote to switch from Direct TV to Apple TV is NOT the way to go (I also must tell you that my LG TV is about six years old, so that could also have something to do with my problems). .... the fix is when I went HDMI from Apple TV into DAC, with HDMI out from DAC into TV, then used a optical cable from my Direct TV into my DAC, and RCA from DAC straight into TV.... this creates an extra step to switch from back and forth (now you need to use the source button on your TV), but this definitely fixed my sound errors. You still need to change the source on the DAC, obviously, but you should also need to change the source on your TV.... 

Weeks later I hooked up a Wadia docking station into the DAC... which sounds awesome. HOWEVER, if you decide to do this, I found that if I didn't take the ipod/iphone out of the docking station while trying to watching Apple TV, those same booming error noises would occur. If I took the ipod out of the Wadia, then Apple TV sounded perfect.

Bottom line, I LOVE this DAC, but I did go through some big growing pains to get there.... hopefully this post will help anyone else that may be experiencing problems, or if you're about to buy one, to avoid them all together.

I welcome any comments/questions.

Josh

Jan 27, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #647 of 1,623
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have firmware version 1.39, I like to go back to this version, a few posters here have reported different SQ after loading 1.41, I think I have discovered something has been altered as my M51 has lower dynamics. If you can also direct me to the site for the boot loader.

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #649 of 1,623
Did a quick comparision with firmware 1.39 and 1.41 and it seems like there is a slight dynamic change in SQ. Im going to do some more testing but it seems to me that the 1.39 has more impact than the 1.41

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #650 of 1,623
Indeed. I'm quite interested in the future in using a CAS (computer as source) - something like an SSD based laptop with an HDMI out and connecting it that way. The spec for HDMI 1.4 is good for audio, supposedly, and many people feel the M51's HDMI input is the best one when used with software which bypasses all the Windows/Mac audio processing/engines (e.g. Audirvana 1.4. on OS X with Direct/Integer mode).

Hi. I'm new to this forum. I currently own a NAD M51 and did extensive listening tests when I bought it last year. The first thing I did was to build a computer (I run my own computer business) running iTunes so I could use my I devices to control my music. I re-ripped my entire library using AIFF.
We tested all sorts of devices through the NAD including a MAC mini and a laptop using USB, and an iPhone and iPad using Apple's HDMI converter. We then tested using a computer's digital outputs-coax and optical. We found the optical out from the computer sounded the best over everything else we tested. So I proceeded to build my music server using an SSD drive for the OS and a pair of 2 TB drives mirrored for the music library.
I used the NAD as a pre and ran it in directly into my Lexicon amp (using balanced cables). But I thought something was lacking, so I acquired a used Ayre K-3x pre. I like this setup much better as the NAD was not the best pre.

Now I'm thinking of adding a Stello U3 in-line after my computer and switching to the AES input on the NAD. I should have the Stello this Thursday to test so I'll try to write back and let you know how it worked out.

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #651 of 1,623
Boldlygo, Thank;s for your report.
And also it would be intereseting to know about pair wsith Stello U3. Look at Bel Canto mLink too. There are very nice impressions on it. It is also $400 costs.
I've ordered a Bel Canto uLink and wait it about after 10 days. Then may to share my experience if it would be interesting for someone.

Jan 31, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #653 of 1,623
Quote:
Boldlygo, Thank;s for your report.
And also it would be intereseting to know about pair wsith Stello U3. Look at Bel Canto mLink too. There are very nice impressions on it. It is also $400 costs.
I've ordered a Bel Canto uLink and wait it about after 10 days. Then may to share my experience if it would be interesting for someone.

U3 is more like £300 here, the uLink £500.

I might bite the bullet and pay up for a Legato 2 (the newest revision) - at least I know it works perfectly with the EDO applet and has good specs. It's like $500 though isn't it? Argh, I wish converters weren't so expensive.

Anyone selling an AP2 w/PP or U3 (I think I can get something to run that off mains rather than USB power)?!?!

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #655 of 1,623
Quote:

U3 is more like £300 here, the uLink £500.

I might bite the bullet and pay up for a Legato 2 (the newest revision) - at least I know it works perfectly with the EDO applet and has good specs. It's like $500 though isn't it? Argh, I wish converters weren't so expensive.

Anyone selling an AP2 w/PP or U3 (I think I can get something to run that off mains rather than USB power)?!?!

I thought about Art Legato II, but it;s warned me that it already twice was on trade-in forums.
And AP+PP I dismissed because it has unnatural aggressive and fatiguating sound.    

Quote:
The Audio-GD DI-V3 might be another valuable option.

Yes A-Gd interesting to try not expensive option. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #657 of 1,623
Quote:
It seems you need a certain firmware version or something to get compatibility. It IS nicely priced, plus you can buy the PSU and an upgraded clock with it. It's hard to gauge the performance of these things because very few people have compared them side by side.

I need the firmware #3 on my NFB-27, the #4 won't work properly, for some reason (with EDO).

IIRC Currawong said he preferred the DI-V3 over the AP+PP with his Calyx DAC, which is quite something already.

The built-in USB-32 module in my NFB-27 is excellent too. It would not be fair comparing it to my Stello U3 though, since the latter is feeding the DAC through coax when the built-in feeds it directly with I²S.

Feb 2, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #660 of 1,623
I like everything about it - but I'm getting a new Bluray player with a DAC built-in that may be almost as good, so why have 2?

Don't you want to compare the DAC performances before selling the M51?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back