NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
May 15, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #196 of 1,623
I dont need to know cause I know HDMI have an issue with lip sync,  from the bluray to the Samsung panel it is out, going thru the Yamaha HT with a lip sync calibration brings it close, this is the issue with HD and HDMI, not bad for an interface that was supose to have resolved all the issues of RCA and digital interconnect but brought along some nasties that are unable to fix!

NAD is also having problems with HDMI and also USB issues when running Apple mac mini via lions, the current firmware 1.39 is suposed to resolve some of these issues but loading it creates others. I think this is going to take some time to fix via a few firmware issues.
angry_face.gif
  Im not using the M51 to do any of this so it doesnt affect me!
smile.gif

May 15, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #198 of 1,623
I'm using the M51 in our main TV system with an HDMI feed from our DirecTV box or from an Oppo dvd player. I haven't noticed any sync issues to this point.  I have had lockups and something in the chain - possibly the M51 - doesn't handle lo-def / standard-def resolutions, but at least it appears that sync problems are not an inherent problem.

On the USB front, there was some activity on the Squeezebox forum regarding the EDO for the touch, and it's confirmed for now that NAD is using an extended UAC 2.0 interface descriptor that the alsa system doesn't currently handle. So, it doesn't work for now. I don't know whether this will be a quick/easy fix, or whether it's something that will take some real work. 

May 16, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #201 of 1,623
Seeing voices, eh ? This will definitely excite the folk at NASA - it seems that you've entered a fourth dimension. Smelt any good Springsteen lately ? 

May 16, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #202 of 1,623
Quote:
Seeing voices, eh ? This will definitely excite the folk at NASA - it seems that you've entered a fourth dimension. Smelt any good Springsteen lately ? 

Really. You can just taste the hyperbole in that one! 
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #203 of 1,623
I noticed the lip synch on one of the Harry Potter BluRay movies. I couldn't find any audio adjustments on the Samsung player. If I was seeing voices that would be really cool, and the NAD M51 would  maybe be pre dipped in some kind of lysergic acid or maybe someone spilled some mushroom tea on it... by accident.. heh,

May 17, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #204 of 1,623
I've checked and my BDP has audio delay (I gather 120ms adjustment would be enough to sync video/audio) so I'd probably be covered if I had any delay issues. I've decided if I get this DAC (and it's looking likely if I can get it and pay £150 a month for 10 months) I'll use my current BDP (a Sony S760) purely for music DVDs/BDs as a 2.0 system via HDMI, currently with my Focal CMSs and then Linkwitz Plutos (v2.1) when they're finished, as well as obviously connecting to my Mac via optical at first but I'll try USB and maybe look at good USB to S/PDIF or AES/EBU if I feel it's worth it.

For HT, I'm a firm believer that great picture quality on a BDP doesn't cost much to obtain and I'll probably pic up another modern player to connect to a receiver for 5.1, as it seems better to keep 2.0 and 5.1 completely separate. Better buy a Harmony One remote as at this rate I'll have more remotes than fingers, and it would mean no worrying about the rather basic NAD remote failing and being unable to control the thing!

Talked myself into it, really...

May 17, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #206 of 1,623
I need a DAC for my desktop set up (I'm DAC-less atm, long story) - the DVD/BD stuff across the room on the TV is a bonus. The pre-amp part of the M51... nothing like it. Bar their M2 anyway. Digital hub and all that.

May 19, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #208 of 1,623
Quote:
I have been following this thread and hoping that those who has both M51 and Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 could share their experiences comparing the two. Thanks.

I've had them both. I got rid of the W4S.
It's a great DAC, just the NAD is better in most areas I can tell.

What do you want to know in specific?

May 20, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #209 of 1,623
I am trying to get completely into computer audio, so a Dac with digital volume control would be my target. Use it to connect to the mono blocks. As home auditioning is next to impossible, so I rely a lot on those with direct expericence to guide me. I try to get the Dac that I could live with for many years. Thanks for your kind advice. I have the benchmark Dac and found it a little clinical. Wonder if you have compare m51 with the benchmark Dac. Would love to hear your view. Thanks.

May 20, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #210 of 1,623
Hi guys,
to get a comparision as close to the M51 processing I decided to fit the EE min max plus with some LME 49720/LME 49710 and see whether it was worth keeping and or sell off.  To my surprise the EE mini max dac was so hard to distinguish to the M51.  It made me wonder that if I had the LME opamps in place and not the ADA 4610 brz I would have never had bought the M51.
blink.gif
  Oh well you live and learn.
eek.gif
  The EE min max dac plus was so close that I had to really close my eyes and do some really critical listening.
rolleyes.gif
  The EE is a lot easier to listen to with  its laid back nature but the microdetails are all there.  Voices are airy and  emphasised but has this glary glassy presentation.  The M51 is not laid back and is very forward in its nature, the microdetails are also there but the voices are wider and more realistic in its presentation.  The mids to low mids are to die for on the M51, cant live without it
o2smile.gif
. The EE mini max dac is a little reserve and less detail in the very bottom end, it comes across clear and loud with a lot of warm cuddly feelings. The M51 had the ability to separate sound components and present them in its natural sound signiture even in very complex passages, so the M51 wins.  The EE mini max plus is so close, if I were to walk into the room I believe I couldnt  tell which one is playing, but in an accidental twist I happen to set the setting on the remote and picked that the EE min max was on before I knew the remote was on a non select state. 
Before this excercise I was planning on letting go the EE min max plus, but after this excersise I decided to keep it, because this dac has thru the hole components unlike the M51 that are all SMD, very hard to modify!
mad.gif
  I reckon if I change some capacitors in the audio signal I can get this dac even closer to SQ compared to the M51
wink_face.gif

I also think that Im done with searching for the perfect dac, when you almost got an identical analog section ( the LME 47910 is very simular to the LME 49990) and things begin to sound that close I dont think that the digital conversion matters any more.  I have the LME 49990 but didnt use them  because they are not as stable as the LME 48720/10,  This will be my next step and I'll report back. 

This post is to share my findings and thoughts and hope it helps on your audiophile journey!
wink.gif
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back