NAD M3 & phones
Jul 30, 2011 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

zj3002

New Head-Fier
I have an NAD M3 and to connect headphones I will use an RCA-to-headphone "Y-cable" plugged into a line level output of the M3. My question is whether this NAD will effectively power headphones that are in the 600 ohm category or do I have to use a lesser headphone? For that matter, would I do better getting a dedicated headphone amp and not even consider using the M3? Here is a link to specs on the M3...http://mycaramplifiers.com/nad-m3-amp-review-specs-269.html
Many thanks!

Jul 30, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 4
Please, Don't treat your NAD M3 like that!  It was a design decision that it will not power headphones, so the fix is to buy a headphone amp. Since you have an M3, I can't imagine the $100-200 for a headphone amp will be a deal breaker.

The RCA line outs are designed to provide a low-level signal into a preamp. This is not designed for speakers or headphones.

The amp provides peaks of current to power speakers and your headphones are like little speakers, so need a little amp. + The results will not be satisfying with 600 ohm headphones.
Have fun helping your local economy with this little purchase!

Jul 31, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 4
I have an NAD M3 and to connect headphones I will use an RCA-to-headphone "Y-cable" plugged into a line level output of the M3. My question is whether this NAD will effectively power headphones that are in the 600 ohm category or do I have to use a lesser headphone? For that matter, would I do better getting a dedicated headphone amp and not even consider using the M3? Here is a link to specs on the M3...http://mycaramplifiers.com/nad-m3-amp-review-specs-269.html
Many thanks!

A line level out supposed to be able to provide any amount of current, which is what a pair of headphones would need. Besides, a small headphone amplifier isn't expensive compared to the M3

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #4 of 4
Thank you both for the replies. What about this: I run RCA's from that Output of the M3 to the RCA Input of say, Little Dot 3 or 4 headphone amp. That way I can use all the sources (turntable, laptop, CD player, etc.) via the M3. Am I on target here? Also, as to headphones, I haven't determined that as yet. Any suggestions in the $500 +/- category?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back