[n00b] computer sound cards just as good as amps?
Nov 14, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #16 of 23

Quote:
I believe the E7 has an internal rechargeable battery (that charges through USB or when docked on the E9) that if I remember correctly lasts 80 hours. It can be used portably as an amp with an iPod or both DAC/amp with a laptop on its own without the E9 (obviously far less powerful this way).

The E7+E9 is a completely transparent/neutral combo. This means they will improve the audio signal and performance without adding any coloration. Your headphones will sound "better" and not different. Tube amps are for those who like color, or "different" sound coming from their headphones. What I'm saying is, the FiiO will stay faithful to the original sound signature of your headphones and will drive them to their fullest (600 ohm Beyers are extremely loud at 50%, above will cause hearing damage, to give you an idea).

thanks a lot.

as for music production i havent yet learn if the option of tube amps for color vs no coloration has any balance in which provide a better benefit maybe in the future i would bring this back to mind unless i learn something about this along the way. although while making music, i do want certain sounds and beats to sound alive like something real natural.

Nov 14, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:
cutflow said:

nice!

how easy is it to setup the e9/e7 once out the box. anything i should know about when installing everything together

Literally:

- Unbox
- Power Cable to E9
- Dock E7 (Will need 5 mins or so to charge to power up the first time)
- USB from E9 to computer
- Headphones to E9 (6.35mm for full sized, 3.5mm for IEM's or if your full sized cans don't have an adapter. The 3.5mm jack has lowered volume to protect IEM's from blowing out, along with your hearing)

And finally, musical bliss.

Nov 14, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:
thanks a lot.

as for music production i havent yet learn if the option of tube amps for color vs no coloration has any balance in which provide a better benefit maybe in the future i would bring this back to mind unless i learn something about this along the way. although while making music, i do want certain sounds and beats to sound alive like something real natural.

For music production this is definitely for you. You do not want to produce tracks with coloration already added; because as soon you change sources and playback on a different setup the balance will not be what you had intended it to sound. Produce using a neutral rig, then see how the color enhances it afterwords.

Nov 14, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #19 of 23

Quote:
Quote:
thanks a lot.

For music production this is definitely for you. You do not want to produce tracks with coloration already added; because as soon you change sources and playback on a different setup the balance will not be what you had intended it to sound. Produce using a neutral rig, then see how the color enhances it afterwords.

thanks a lot for the instructions for setup

and for this one. i dont think i have any more questions but to get the e9/e7 and start slowly collecting sets and keep learning on how to make music. i feel set and more secure now after this thread. thanks all who posted

Nov 14, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #21 of 23
I'm using a Line6 ux2 '24 96 dac / sound source'

Using it with Stax 2050ll & my Grado sr325is

Its amazingly crystal clear sounding. I've compared it too 'budget so called headphone amps- the line6 kills them in every way. I also have a home 'onkyo receiver' I 've used the headphone out as an amp but its horrible sounding compared to the ux2

Anyway the line6 ux2 works great for me without spending a ton of money on high end tube amps........ Headphone amps at a low cost to my ears are VERY inferior to the line6  dac/headphone out that I use.

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #23 of 23
My Xonar STX has been able to power every headphone I've owned with ease. It also has amazing DAC's. It's stellar.
It's really not like most soundcards out there as it is specific for it's use as an 'audiophile' headphone-centric DAC/Amp. You may come close with the Juli@, but I've never heard that.
You'll be more flexible with an outboard DAC/Amp, but unless it's USB, you're sound quality will still be dependent on your soundcard.

shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back