Mytek Stereo 192 DSD DAC/Preamp/Amplifier Thread
Sep 3, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #16 of 351
Quote:

Well for one, in general anything that comes from overseas is just "automatically" more expensive (e.g. ALO Audio Rx Mk3 is $650 vs $920 in Japan). I've imported stuff directly before and it's not always import taxes (which usually is minimal). So I guess labour, bricks 'n mortar.

Secondly, specifically for the Mytek, I believe the distributor has specifically asked Mytek Digital to produce Japan-specific models for the 115V -> 100V PSU. SQ-wise, he told me that the local Japanese ones sound "warmer/involving". I have heard only the Japanese version and it is warm-sounding, but never heard the 115V version as a comparison. But not worth the $1400 price difference.

If mini 115V -> 100V stepdown converters exist, this could be cheap option. Then only have to worry if the 60Hz -> 50Hz difference matters or not.

Thats actually really interesting, that it gained warmth due to the PSU change. As of right now, I would never call the American version warm but neutral sounding all-over the spectrum. Did you decide on which one you are going to buy?

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #17 of 351
Quote:
Thats actually really interesting, that it gained warmth due to the PSU change. As of right now, I would never call the American version warm but neutral sounding all-over the spectrum. Did you decide on which one you are going to buy?

I purchased the Fostex HP-A8 last Friday. But I haven't decided if this is the end of my quest yet. It's now gone through a 70 hr burn-in and another 30 hrs to go before I give it a detailed listen.

Sep 5, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #18 of 351
Quote:

I purchased the Fostex HP-A8 last Friday. But I haven't decided if this is the end of my quest yet. It's now gone through a 70 hr burn-in and another 30 hrs to go before I give it a detailed listen.

Well I guess I am lucky because, I am settled with the Mytek for my DAC quest. It is truly a shame that the PSU convert added so much cost, I would love to welcome you the Mytek club
tongue.gif

Sep 20, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #19 of 351
Quote:
Well I guess I am lucky because, I am settled with the Mytek for my DAC quest. It is truly a shame that the PSU convert added so much cost, I would love to welcome you the Mytek club
tongue.gif

Thanks for a great review! I'm a huge fan of this DAC. Great punch in the lower region, fantastic realism / holography higher up. Connected to a Mac Mini using USB, Audirvana Plus integrated with iTunes as library, iPad remote. Great sound, superb usability.

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #20 of 351
Quote:

Thanks for a great review! I'm a huge fan of this DAC. Great punch in the lower region, fantastic realism / holography higher up. Connected to a Mac Mini using USB, Audirvana Plus integrated with iTunes as library, iPad remote. Great sound, superb usability.

Great setup and photo! Thanks for the post, what SACDs are you enjoying with the Mytek?

Sep 21, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #21 of 351
Quote:
tongue.gif

Hi,  How you describe the sonic signature of the DAC? Have you considered the W4S DAC 2 or Yulong D18 prior to settling on this model? I am in the market for a Sabre ESS 9018 DAC and I am considering the few models discussed in the forum such as W4S DAC 2, Yulong D18, Anedio D2 and Mytek.

Sep 21, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #23 of 351
Quote:
As usual, not a word about amplification part, is it so bad?

My quick impressions mentioned on post #11 was using the amp portion of the Mytek (as well as the Eximus DP1). No I would not have described it as bad. I just felt it was warmer than the other DACs I've experienced (Benchmark DAC1 Pre, Fostex HP-A8, April Music Eximus DP1). I was looking a DAC/Amp for my TH-900.

As a clarification, when I say it's warm, it's not a negative thing but rather positive - rich, involving, and musical. As opposed to the Eximus where I found it was clear/transparent, detailed, yet smooth.

Sep 21, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #24 of 351
Quote:

My quick impressions mentioned on post #11 was using the amp portion of the Mytek (as well as the Eximus DP1). No I would not have described it as bad. I just felt it was warmer than the other DACs I've experienced (Benchmark DAC1 Pre, Fostex HP-A8, April Music Eximus DP1). I was looking a DAC/Amp for my TH-900.

As a clarification, when I say it's warm, it's not a negative thing but rather positive - rich, involving, and musical. As opposed to the Eximus where I found it was clear/transparent, detailed, yet smooth.

Thanks for the answer. It's strange, on another forum one of the owner of Mytek complained about too analitical sound through it's amplifier. Tastes differ, really

Sep 22, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #25 of 351
Is this a good DAC for PC based DSD system?

Sep 22, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #27 of 351
Quote:
I use it 100% of the time with my laptop, streaming DSD, etc. I also use professionally for mastering purposes and mixing. You can't go wrong with this DAC, packed with its functionality its really awesome.

Do you compare DSD stream with DSD to PCM on foobar in the same machine? Which software do you use?

Sep 22, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #28 of 351
Quote:
Do you compare DSD stream with DSD to PCM on foobar in the same machine? Which software do you use?

I am using Foobar with the Mytek supplied driver + native DSD streaming through the ASIO driver. The DSD vs PCM subject is an expansive one, for me the DSD has so many advantages over PCM and the sound quality shows it. Do you have the chance to try out a Mytek DAC around your area?

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #29 of 351
Quote:
I am using Foobar with the Mytek supplied driver + native DSD streaming through the ASIO driver. The DSD vs PCM subject is an expansive one, for me the DSD has so many advantages over PCM and the sound quality shows it. Do you have the chance to try out a Mytek DAC around your area?

Duke, your providing the info. is appreciated. I have contacted a local dealer for audition this week. I read somewhere the Mytek tends to be a little too warm. I am not sure if it is matching well with tube amplifiers that I tuned mostly for EMM and Benchmark. Its abality to support DSD via USB still attracts me the most. I am also looking at EMM DAC2X but too expensive for my current target. Any other options for DSD DAC like the Mytek and DAC2X? It will be used to connect to a PC always.

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #30 of 351
Quote:
Duke, your providing the info. is appreciated. I have contacted a local dealer for audition this week. I read somewhere the Mytek tends to be a little too warm. I am not sure if it is matching well with tube amplifiers that I tuned mostly for EMM and Benchmark. Its abality to support DSD via USB still attracts me the most. I am also looking at EMM DAC2X but too expensive for my current target. Any other options for DSD DAC like the Mytek and DAC2X? It will be used to connect to a PC always.

There aren't too many options, but there is one lesser known DAC that has DSD capability:
http://sonore.us/index2.html - Sonore DSD Dac

It's cheaper somewhat, but lacks many features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back