Mytek Brooklyn Thread
Jul 19, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #586 of 818
Is there anyone here who has used the MM phono preamp on the DAC+ and later upgraded to a standalone phono preamp? Any comments on the “goodness” of the built-in MM preamp?

I'm using the MM phono preamp of the DAC+ with Lyra Helikon and a step up transformers. It sounds great, better and quieter than Musical Surroundings Phonomena (older first generation) I tried.
The MC sounds bad though.

Jul 19, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #587 of 818
Thanks for the great datapoint. I’m running a Rega Ania MC with a step-up into the Mytek DAC+ in MM mode and was wondering whether a standalone would make a difference. The Phenomena II+ (in MM mode, keeping the step-up) was what I was considering. Were you running the Phenomena in MM or MC?

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #588 of 818
Thanks for the great datapoint. I’m running a Rega Ania MC with a step-up into the Mytek DAC+ in MM mode and was wondering whether a standalone would make a difference. The Phenomena II+ (in MM mode, keeping the step-up) was what I was considering. Were you running the Phenomena in MM or MC?
I tried the Phonomena I with the wall wart. Phonomona II+ suppose to be an upgrade to that and has a better power source.
With the same MC cartridge and SUT to MM both on Phonomena I and Brooklyn DAC+ the Brooklyn was quieter. I don't remember the exact differences in sound quality beside that, but I'm using the Brooklyn as my MM phono pre since.
With the same MC cartridge without the SUT and both Phonomena I and DAC+ on MC mode. The Phonomena sounded much better than the Brooklyn. The Brooklyn MC pre sucks.
But the MM mode with SUT sounds great.

Sep 3, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #590 of 818
Is there any chance Mytek Control App will get fixed screen resolution issue? It would be quite useful but so far it is not usable unfortunately. I am interested in this since I am considering strongly Brooklyn Bridge as my second setup.

Sep 3, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #591 of 818
Is there any chance Mytek Control App will get fixed screen resolution issue? It would be quite useful but so far it is not usable unfortunately. I am interested in this since I am considering strongly Brooklyn Bridge as my second setup.

The control app is embarassingly bad. Personally I have no use for it.

The hardware and UI on the device are beautiful though.

Sep 3, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #593 of 818
Another thing I am wondering what are your feelings regarding MQA filter. I am not asking about MQA support itself and MQA quality (I do not want to start whole MQA war). Instead how do you like MQA filter set: enabled or disabled? I am yet to make up my mind, but so far I think I lean a bit towards liking MQA filter to be enabled on non MQA content too.

Sep 3, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #594 of 818
Comparing to other apps I've seen so far it is not the worst one and it works out of the box. Could be a lot better on the other hand.

Really? What apps are worse?

Another thing I am wondering what are your feelings regarding MQA filter. I am not asking about MQA support itself and MQA quality (I do not want to start whole MQA war). Instead how do you like MQA filter set: enabled or disabled? I am yet to make up my mind, but so far I think I lean a bit towards liking MQA filter to be enabled on non MQA content too.

Not sure I understand. I don't think there are any MQA filters. If you have MQA mode on, you get MQA and have no selectable filter options. If you turn MQA off then you don't get MQA but you can select from a few filters.

I bought the Brooklyn DAC+ specifically for MQA. So I leave MQA on and enjoy the high quality sound of the music. I don't worry about filters for non-MQA music, I have other DACs for that.

Sep 3, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #595 of 818
Technically speaking, it appears that MQA requires the use of the "Minimum Phase" filter, and disables other options. Therefore, this same filter is also used for non-MQA content. See the bottom of p.17 in the manual: https://mytekdigital.com/download_library/manuals/Brooklyn_DAC+_manual.pdf

[EDIT - further digging suggests it is the slow-rolloff minimum phase filter.]

If MQA is disabled in the settings, then other filters are available as options.

I've not heard differences to the point where I really prefer one filter over another, and since I listen to MQA content on occasion, I leave MQA enabled (and thus am using the Minimum Phase filter at all times.)

ed

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #596 of 818
Really? What apps are worse?

This one worked right after installing it without any tweaking etc. All features worked like described in manual. The UI is a nightmare but the app works with hardware.

Other combination of software/hardware does not work at all or after some tweaking. Chord Poly (just tested and turned out it does not work out of the box in my case) is one example. With iFi I have a problem when connecting iUSB, iGalvanic and iDac2 using my docking station. It never connects correctly. Just 2 examples from my own expirence.

In case of Mytek all I had to do was download drivers + control app, install them and all worked out of the box.

Sep 3, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #597 of 818
I didn't know Poly had a desktop app.

I've never seen an uglier or less useful desktop app than the one for the Brooklyn. The RME software experience has been much more pleasant for me than Mytek. But I'm very happy with the device and don't plan to change the firmware so I don't run the Mytek app at all.

Sep 3, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #598 of 818
I didn't know Poly had a desktop app.

It does not. However it is an example of how hw/sf connection can go wrong.

I've never seen an uglier or less useful desktop app than the one for the Brooklyn. The RME software experience has been much more pleasant for me than Mytek. But I'm very happy with the device and don't plan to change the firmware so I don't run the Mytek app at all.

You can tell it was written by guys who are desiging electronics for life and not end user software solutions. Looking at Mytek supplier chain it should not be a surprise. However you have a point here: with firmware update exception there is no need to run it (unless there is another way to do it from usb drive for example). Otherwise you can have all the joy of dac and never see the ugly screen :wink:

At the endnof day it is SQ that counts + overall functionality of a device. Not the desktop app.

Sep 4, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #600 of 818
I recommend avoiding Roon. So there are several viewpoints on that :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back