Mytek Brooklyn Thread
Nov 26, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #616 of 818
hi, any review about brooklyn bridge for headphones, and can it drive headphones such he1000 v1 with authority, I am surprised there is not much info for the the Bridge as a single one unit and using it for headphones

Nov 26, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #618 of 818
hi, any review about brooklyn bridge for headphones, and can it drive headphones such he1000 v1 with authority, I am surprised there is not much info for the the Bridge as a single one unit and using it for headphones
I'm using the Questyle 400i with my 1k v1 and it's fantastic!

Nov 26, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #619 of 818
I use it with focal Stellia and lcd-3 and lcd-4. It requires a lot of volume for lcd-4 but sounds great.
is there anyone who reviewed it as a dac amp for heapdhones

can you please tell me is it a warm sounding unit, or neutral, or does lean to a thin sound as a one unit do all, and do you feel you need more power to drive your lcd4 wiht authority, how about with lcd 3

Nov 26, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #620 of 818
I'm using the Questyle 400i with my 1k v1 and it's fantastic!
i just want to ask about its performance as a 1 unit do all for headphones such as hifiman and audeze lcd2 and up

Nov 26, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #621 of 818
is there anyone who reviewed it as a dac amp for heapdhones

can you please tell me is it a warm sounding unit, or neutral, or does lean to a thin sound as a one unit do all, and do you feel you need more power to drive your lcd4 wiht authority, how about with lcd 3
It is neutral. Lean but not thin. It can do bass with lcd-3 and 4 well. It drives 3 with authority. The 4 it does great at higher volumes.

looking for the guy that did big review of this. Trying to find it.

look @Dobrescu George and his opinions of dac+ on audiophile heaven. Same system as bridge just without streaming.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #622 of 818

@Sound Eq search for Brooklyn Dac+ reviews, Bridge is a Dac+ with added streaming capabilities as someone already noticed. Most reviews are unfortunately rather audiophile hype focused telling very little about this great streamer and dac. Here is my experience as a Mytek Brooklyn Bridge owner: the headamp section is fine, but if this would be your main system you will want to add separate amp eventually.

As far as dac section goes it is rather neutral, detailed but also is musical. In comparison to Hugo TT 2 and McIntosh MHA150 is is a bit less musical (MHA is more warm too) but both TT2 and MHA150 are almost double the price of Bridge while not providing half of its capabilities and the sound difference is not night and day. As a single box solution I feel that Mytek is great option and every section is at least good if not steal at this price range. The only other competitor I could name at similar price range is iFi iDac Pro, but in a long term you would like to add to it iCan Pro and as a streamer it does not display cover of an album for example. Not every one likes/needs tube add-on, so I would rather go with iCan Pro as an amp addon to Mytek than iDac Pro (while on paper it is technically more advanced in dac section comparing to Mytek). On the other hand if Mytek would add headphone amp to Mytek AMP+ like product I would probably go with that one to stack whole setup nicely.

Coming back to DAC+/Bridge headphone amp you have to take into account possible drawback if you want to use balance cable: you need a special adapter that Mytek sells at crazy price: https://mytekdigital.com/storeus/hifi/metropolis-cables/bal-head-adptr.html

Some 3rd party replacements adapters are available.

Nov 27, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #623 of 818
In all fairness, for people who like to buy fancy cables it is not expensive. It's well-made and it will avoid the problem of some 3rd party cable blowing up your expensive gear and then having to play the finger-pointing game. It's unlikely, but a non-zero probability.

Nov 27, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #624 of 818
In all fairness, for people who like to buy fancy cables it is not expensive. It's well-made and it will avoid the problem of some 3rd party cable blowing up your expensive gear and then having to play the finger-pointing game. It's unlikely, but a non-zero probability.

Very good point @gimmeheadroom. However in my book this should be included with Mytek Brooklyn DAC+/Bridge package, especially when is it a result of design decision of a device manufacturer.

For me this is potential drawback - one of very few - and definitively not an advantage. I can't recall at the moment any other manufacturer using similar solution. And the BOM list for the cable is probably more around 10 USD...

Nov 28, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #625 of 818
Very good point @gimmeheadroom. However in my book this should be included with Mytek Brooklyn DAC+/Bridge package, especially when is it a result of design decision of a device manufacturer.

For me this is potential drawback - one of very few - and definitively not an advantage. I can't recall at the moment any other manufacturer using similar solution. And the BOM list for the cable is probably more around 10 USD...
At the price, yeah, they could include it. But it is not a great headamp. I expect pretty much everybody who buys one is running it into a balanced amp using the XLR jacks on the back. I have the cable, I think I used it for 10 minutes.

Nov 29, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #626 of 818
At the price, yeah, they could include it. But it is not a great headamp. I expect pretty much everybody who buys one is running it into a balanced amp using the XLR jacks on the back. I have the cable, I think I used it for 10 minutes.

I'm not sure I agree with that - at least with my ears. I have a Feliks Elise, rolled with different tubes and it is a different flavor for sure but the Brooklyn's amp can hold its own - both with my Empyrean's and with my Elegia's.

Nov 30, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #628 of 818
Sure, if the headphones are easy to drive then it's no big deal. It doesn't do a good job with my 300 ohm Sennheisers and that's my yardstick for a good headamp.

It's not really a criticism, I love the Brooklyn. I just don't have much use for the amp part of most dacamps.

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #629 of 818
Sure, if the headphones are easy to drive then it's no big deal. It doesn't do a good job with my 300 ohm Sennheisers and that's my yardstick for a good headamp.

It's not really a criticism, I love the Brooklyn. I just don't have much use for the amp part of most dacamps.

Honestly though, I am wondering what something else would sound like. I've had my Brooklyn for a while now and it sounds great to me but upgraditus and general curiosity has me wondering if I should try out the Topping A90/D90 combo or something like a Pass HPA-1 + DAC combo to see if there is a world of difference.

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #630 of 818
Honestly though, I am wondering what something else would sound like. I've had my Brooklyn for a while now and it sounds great to me but upgraditus and general curiosity has me wondering if I should try out the Topping A90/D90 combo or something like a Pass HPA-1 + DAC combo to see if there is a world of difference.
They are cheap options so go ahead and try them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back