Mytek Brooklyn Thread
Oct 28, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #526 of 818
Has anyone used the Brooklyn + in balanced mode via a 4p xlr to dual 6.35mm adapter?

Would do so run the risk at all of damaging the unit? (That is, not sure if it was intended just to be operated in this way.)

I ask because I have a balanced Norne Draug 3 headphone cable and I was going to try to use it in this way.

Thanks in advance!

Oct 28, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #527 of 818
Has anyone used the Brooklyn + in balanced mode via a 4p xlr to dual 6.35mm adapter?

Would do so run the risk at all of damaging the unit? (That is, not sure if it was intended just to be operated in this way.)

I ask because I have a balanced Norne Draug 3 headphone cable and I was going to try to use it in this way.

Thanks in advance!
I haven’t tried it, but that’s how it works. With the correct wiring with two 1/4” connectors to a 4 pin XLR it functions in balanced. You can get the adapter on eBay for like $45 made for this DAC specifically

Dec 1, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #531 of 818
You do need an LPS with the DAC+. You will hear the difference. I economized and went with the Sbooster BOTW P&P ECO 12V - 13.2V for under $400 and the difference in SQ is worth the expense. The Uptone JS-2 LPS seems to be considered the best LPS for the Brooklyn but costs $925. How much better than the Sbooster is the JS-2? Would be interesting to hear from someone who has listened to both.

I'm reading through this thread as I save my pennies for the DAC+. One of my other hobbies is amateur radio and there are tons of used linear power supplies available with more power than the DAC could ever need. The only downside is they're big, heavy, and ugly. But for a hundred bucks you could solve all your problems.

Edit: ignore, I see somebody used an Astron... yeah, that's what I'm talking about!

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #532 of 818
At what ohm is the 6watts of power for the amp? The Brooklyn dac or dac+.

I know for sure the 6W is on the DAC+, no idea what the power rating is on the DAC

The thing is that, to get that power rating, you have to use a special power adapter that combines the two headphone outputs into a single one, it is quite the tricky thing

Dec 3, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #533 of 818
I know for sure the 6W is on the DAC+, no idea what the power rating is on the DAC

The thing is that, to get that power rating, you have to use a special power adapter that combines the two headphone outputs into a single one, it is quite the tricky thing
Yes, for the left and right channel.

Dec 3, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #534 of 818
Is there individual volume control possible if you and another person are both listening to headphones off the Brooklyn DAC+?

Dec 4, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #535 of 818
Is there individual volume control possible if you and another person are both listening to headphones off the Brooklyn DAC+?
No individual volume control for each jack, the DAC+ is designed to drive one pair of headphones at a time, and the phase inverts between either jack using SE. Left jack connects unbalanced phones in absolute phase. Right jack connects unbalanced phones in absolute out of phase.

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #536 of 818
No individual volume control for each jack, the DAC+ is designed to drive one pair of headphones at a time, and the phase inverts between either jack using SE. Left jack connects unbalanced phones in absolute phase. Right jack connects unbalanced phones in absolute out of phase.
So, either jack can be used and both will sound equally good? Or just one? Which and why?

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #537 of 818

Ah, thanks for the explanation :)

Dec 4, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #538 of 818
So, either jack can be used and both will sound equally good? Or just one? Which and why?
Using SE phones you can invert phase switching from one jack to the other. Or you can buy the adapter Mytek sells to use a balanced headphone cable. You can browse the Brooklyn DAC+ user manual here.

Dec 4, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #540 of 818
Thank you, but that was not the answer to the question. May I have an answer please?

Sorry I thought I already did. Using SE phones if you are listening on the normal left jack and a track sounds out of phase to you switch to the right jack. The DAC+ is not designed to drive two SE phones at the same time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back