Mytek Brooklyn Thread
post-15343566
Post #541 of 585

grigorianvlad

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Website
grigorian.tech
Using SE phones you can invert phase switching from one jack to the other. Or you can buy the adapter Mytek sells to use a balanced headphone cable. You can browse the Brooklyn DAC+ user manual here.
Thank you, but that was not the answer to the question. May I have an answer please?

post-15343670
Post #542 of 585

exdmd

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Thank you, but that was not the answer to the question. May I have an answer please?
Sorry I thought I already did. Using SE phones if you are listening on the normal left jack and a track sounds out of phase to you switch to the right jack. The DAC+ is not designed to drive two SE phones at the same time.

Last edited:
post-15344877
Post #544 of 585

gimmeheadroom

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Website
www.head-fi.org
Sorry I thought I already did. Using SE phones if you are listening on the normal left jack and a track sounds out of phase to you switch to the right jack. The DAC+ is not designed to drive two SE phones at the same time.
I guess this will never happen on a commercial recording, so after I heard your answer I figured it was a bizarre way to support balanced and not require people to buy an adapter to run SE. It seems like kind of a weird setup to be honest. I'll look for some discussions to see if there is an explanation why they chose to do it this way.

post-15390685
Post #546 of 585

exdmd

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I guess this will never happen on a commercial recording, so after I heard your answer I figured it was a bizarre way to support balanced and not require people to buy an adapter to run SE. It seems like kind of a weird setup to be honest. I'll look for some discussions to see if there is an explanation why they chose to do it this way.
Probably just space. The Brooklyn DAC+ is pretty compact. The included headphone amp is not that great, about equal to a $99 Magni from Schiit. Don't buy a DAC+ expecting it to be a great AIO; you really need a separate headphone amp.

post-15390807
Post #547 of 585

gimmeheadroom

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Website
www.head-fi.org
Yeah I have several headamps and have another few on the radar. I just wanted to know what to expect. The power output seems reasonable for 300 ohm Sennheisers. I'll know soon enough :D

post-15390994
Post #548 of 585

grigorianvlad

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Website
grigorian.tech
I recently read that a Brooklyn DAC+ can also be used as an ADC. I cant see how that would be possible. Besides, there is a Brooklyn ADC Mytek makes, why would they kill their cash cow by combining both functionalities in single device?
The reason I am asking I got into digitizing my vinyl. The ADC board I'm using is a $30 Behringer U-Phono UFO202 . It takes analog signal off of the Gold Note PH-10 + PSU-10 phono preamp (never liked Brooklyn's phono preamp or even headphone amp for that matter) and outputs to a digital signal up to 48khz. That sounds fine, but then I started to look for ADC boards with a higher resolution, may be even DSD-capable. Those are expensive.
But then someone asked me why dont I use my Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ as an ADC device. The person insisted he used his own unit for that, but when I asked "how" he disappeared.
The fact thathe is MIA tells a lot, but I still thought I would like to ask this question.

post-15391030
Post #549 of 585

gimmeheadroom

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Website
www.head-fi.org
Yeah I had a question in my mind whether I could use the ADC as a DAC since it's cheaper. It took a bit of reading but the answer is no. I think they know how to sell hardware :D

On the topic of recording from the ADC, apparently DSD support did not come out in the first few firmware versions and I was not able to ever find a post that said they ever supported it. As far as recording from vinyl goes, you can probably do a pretty good job with a cheap USB audio interface, I have done it in the past with an Edirol UA5. I just bought a Behringer UMC202HD for like 65 euros which has both DAC and ADC. I haven't tried it for records but it should work. It is a good, cheap DAC and has their Midas mic preamps.

I can't see the point of trying to do needle drops to DSD. FLAC 16/44.1 ought to be plenty, and you can run up to 192 with the el-cheapo Behringer.

It would be cool to record your albums to DSD or MQA FLAC but do you really want to spend 4 or 5G per album when Redbook is all the headroom you need?

Anyway, TASCAM has some digital recorders including the DA-3000 (if I remembered the name right) that record to DSD but they're around 1000 euros.

Another option is the RME Pro which costs more than the ADI-2 DAC but can record DSD (but not MQA)

(edit to change SA-3000 to DA-3000)

Last edited:
Reactions: grigorianvlad
post-15391033
Post #550 of 585

exdmd

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I recently read that a Brooklyn DAC+ can also be used as an ADC. I cant see how that would be possible. Besides, there is a Brooklyn ADC Mytek makes, why would they kill their cash cow by combining both functionalities in single device?
The reason I am asking I got into digitizing my vinyl. The ADC board I'm using is a $30 Behringer U-Phono UFO202 . It takes analog signal off of the Gold Note PH-10 + PSU-10 phono preamp (never liked Brooklyn's phono preamp or even headphone amp for that matter) and outputs to a digital signal up to 48khz. That sounds fine, but then I started to look for ADC boards with a higher resolution, may be even DSD-capable. Those are expensive.
But then someone asked me why dont I use my Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ as an ADC device. The person insisted he used his own unit for that, but when I asked "how" he disappeared.
The fact thathe is MIA tells a lot, but I still thought I would like to ask this question.
Your friend may be confusing the Brooklyn DAC+ with the Brooklyn ADC.

Reactions: grigorianvlad
post-15391080
Post #551 of 585

OG10

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I was wondering whether to get rid of my Drop THX 789 and Valhalla 2 for an AIO ;P

Thanks for keeping this thread alive gents :)

I will be getting rid of my Rega Fono MM as this sounds much much better!

post-15391083
Post #552 of 585

grigorianvlad

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Website
grigorian.tech
I think they know how to sell hardware :D
That sums it up perfectly, thanks. The entire errand is futile. I am sure this DSD thing is a fad that wont last out the year (and it is December the 31st!) I am sure I won't be able to tell a difference between a 48khz/24bit and a 41kHz/16bit version of the same LP rip, so there is no need to upgrade the Behringer. But I still wouldn't mind wasting a hundred dollars or so on a higher resolution ADC board. But not more than that. May be some used KORG unit?

post-15391108
Post #553 of 585

gimmeheadroom

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Website
www.head-fi.org
Personally I like DSD a lot. SACD is exactly that, DSD64. They sound to me the way I always wanted CDs to sound. As far as commercial releases on DSD I agree it could die out.

I don't know what the middle ground is between USB or Firewire audio interfaces and dedicated recorders like from TASCAM. I really think the Behringer or a similar unit is perfect for needle drops.

post-15392577
Post #554 of 585

OG10

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is an app other than MConnect?
I find it awful.. and it crashes out of Tidal when I search for artists!

post-15407963
Post #555 of 585

bballgarnnet

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Looking for some insight here from those more experienced with the Brooklyn.
Is there a way to toggle between the XLR and RCA outputs?
Having to turn off my monitors every time time I want to listen to my headphone amp is quite the chore actually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)