Mytek Brooklyn Thread
Dec 5, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #542 of 807
Sorry I thought I already did. Using SE phones if you are listening on the normal left jack and a track sounds out of phase to you switch to the right jack. The DAC+ is not designed to drive two SE phones at the same time.

I guess this will never happen on a commercial recording, so after I heard your answer I figured it was a bizarre way to support balanced and not require people to buy an adapter to run SE. It seems like kind of a weird setup to be honest. I'll look for some discussions to see if there is an explanation why they chose to do it this way.

Dec 31, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #544 of 807
I guess this will never happen on a commercial recording, so after I heard your answer I figured it was a bizarre way to support balanced and not require people to buy an adapter to run SE. It seems like kind of a weird setup to be honest. I'll look for some discussions to see if there is an explanation why they chose to do it this way.

Probably just space. The Brooklyn DAC+ is pretty compact. The included headphone amp is not that great, about equal to a $99 Magni from Schiit. Don't buy a DAC+ expecting it to be a great AIO; you really need a separate headphone amp.

Dec 31, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #545 of 807
Yeah I have several headamps and have another few on the radar. I just wanted to know what to expect. The power output seems reasonable for 300 ohm Sennheisers. I'll know soon enough :D

Dec 31, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #546 of 807
I recently read that a Brooklyn DAC+ can also be used as an ADC. I cant see how that would be possible. Besides, there is a Brooklyn ADC Mytek makes, why would they kill their cash cow by combining both functionalities in single device?
The reason I am asking I got into digitizing my vinyl. The ADC board I'm using is a $30 Behringer U-Phono UFO202 . It takes analog signal off of the Gold Note PH-10 + PSU-10 phono preamp (never liked Brooklyn's phono preamp or even headphone amp for that matter) and outputs to a digital signal up to 48khz. That sounds fine, but then I started to look for ADC boards with a higher resolution, may be even DSD-capable. Those are expensive.
But then someone asked me why dont I use my Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ as an ADC device. The person insisted he used his own unit for that, but when I asked "how" he disappeared.
The fact thathe is MIA tells a lot, but I still thought I would like to ask this question.

Dec 31, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #547 of 807
Yeah I had a question in my mind whether I could use the ADC as a DAC since it's cheaper. It took a bit of reading but the answer is no. I think they know how to sell hardware :D

On the topic of recording from the ADC, apparently DSD support did not come out in the first few firmware versions and I was not able to ever find a post that said they ever supported it. As far as recording from vinyl goes, you can probably do a pretty good job with a cheap USB audio interface, I have done it in the past with an Edirol UA5. I just bought a Behringer UMC202HD for like 65 euros which has both DAC and ADC. I haven't tried it for records but it should work. It is a good, cheap DAC and has their Midas mic preamps.

I can't see the point of trying to do needle drops to DSD. FLAC 16/44.1 ought to be plenty, and you can run up to 192 with the el-cheapo Behringer.

It would be cool to record your albums to DSD or MQA FLAC but do you really want to spend 4 or 5G per album when Redbook is all the headroom you need?

Anyway, TASCAM has some digital recorders including the DA-3000 (if I remembered the name right) that record to DSD but they're around 1000 euros.

Another option is the RME Pro which costs more than the ADI-2 DAC but can record DSD (but not MQA)

(edit to change SA-3000 to DA-3000)

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #548 of 807
I recently read that a Brooklyn DAC+ can also be used as an ADC. I cant see how that would be possible. Besides, there is a Brooklyn ADC Mytek makes, why would they kill their cash cow by combining both functionalities in single device?
The reason I am asking I got into digitizing my vinyl. The ADC board I'm using is a $30 Behringer U-Phono UFO202 . It takes analog signal off of the Gold Note PH-10 + PSU-10 phono preamp (never liked Brooklyn's phono preamp or even headphone amp for that matter) and outputs to a digital signal up to 48khz. That sounds fine, but then I started to look for ADC boards with a higher resolution, may be even DSD-capable. Those are expensive.
But then someone asked me why dont I use my Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ as an ADC device. The person insisted he used his own unit for that, but when I asked "how" he disappeared.
The fact thathe is MIA tells a lot, but I still thought I would like to ask this question.
Your friend may be confusing the Brooklyn DAC+ with the Brooklyn ADC.

Dec 31, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #550 of 807
I think they know how to sell hardware :D

That sums it up perfectly, thanks. The entire errand is futile. I am sure this DSD thing is a fad that wont last out the year (and it is December the 31st!) I am sure I won't be able to tell a difference between a 48khz/24bit and a 41kHz/16bit version of the same LP rip, so there is no need to upgrade the Behringer. But I still wouldn't mind wasting a hundred dollars or so on a higher resolution ADC board. But not more than that. May be some used KORG unit?

Dec 31, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #551 of 807
Personally I like DSD a lot. SACD is exactly that, DSD64. They sound to me the way I always wanted CDs to sound. As far as commercial releases on DSD I agree it could die out.

I don't know what the middle ground is between USB or Firewire audio interfaces and dedicated recorders like from TASCAM. I really think the Behringer or a similar unit is perfect for needle drops.

Jan 10, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #554 of 807
Looking for some insight here from those more experienced with the Brooklyn.
Is there a way to toggle between the XLR and RCA outputs?
Having to turn off my monitors every time time I want to listen to my headphone amp is quite the chore actually.

the only toggle I know of is for automatic switching between the internal headphone amp on the Brooklyn if headphone is plugged into the front and the main outputs, headphone only or outputs only. It outputs to both XLR and RCA at the same time, with option for analog or digital volume control or volume bypass output mode.

Feb 4, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #555 of 807
I bought a new DAC+ and the new Chord Qutest this week. In the process of comparing the two.
But there is an issue with the DAC+ volume attenuation jumpers. Mine was running a tad hot into my pre, so off the lid went to insert the 4 jumpers.
Left channel was fine, but the right channel has major issues, frequent ticking noise with the sound dipping with each tick, very quickly.
Tried it a few times, but no change, thought I might have a bad unit, so I emailed Mytek and got a swift 5 minute reply informing me that they found a bug, and the jumpers must be removed, and next week they will be releasing a firmware update that’ll add a gain control for each input on the control panel, the same way it’s done on the Manhattan II.

Did this ever happen btw? I don't see it on my menu anywhere so not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back