Mytek Brooklyn Thread
May 24, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #181 of 818
I just got word from Mytek that they've confirmed the bug and are working on a fix.

I received a similar message from Mytek support. Good they were able to replicate the problem. I will keep listening my high-res PCM tracks with MQA enabled until the fix it.

It has been a month and no sign of an updated firmware. given how the upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2 was a bit botched, I am wondering about whether or not Mytek will sort this one out.

I could be wrong, but it was less than 2 weeks to fix the last screw up, and this....:alarm_clock:

May 24, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #182 of 818
It has been a month and no sign of an updated firmware. given how the upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2 was a bit botched, I am wondering about whether or not Mytek will sort this one out.

I could be wrong, but it was less than 2 weeks to fix the last screw up, and this....:alarm_clock:

I got a message from them last Thursday stating they were still working on it.

May 24, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #183 of 818
I got a message from them last Thursday stating they were still working on it.

thanks for the info.. I am beginning to wonder whether or not they are stretched thin on resources (human) the last update was botched pretty badly and I wish I could roll back. since going to 1.21 playing DSD files causes the DAC to disappear from the windows sound control panel although it plays the files just fine. it is a hassle, because it causes issues with playback through my Sonarworks software.

Hopefully the extra time they are taking pays off this time

Jun 7, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #184 of 818
Does anyone have impressions of the DAC+ compared to the Liberty? Trying to decide if it is worth the expense for the Brooklyn alone rather than the lower model and an extra pair of headphones like a pair of SDR HD800 or a pair of Eikon to supplement my Atticus and HD650. Will be using a balanced headphone amp and also have a balanced power amp with a TT but dont have to have use the DAC w/ speakers or vinyl. Could be nice however.

I like the screen, higher end chips and filters (briefly had an S2 Digital with the mobile 9038 chips with filters) on the + but Love the lower price on the liberty since it’s over double for the upgrade.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #185 of 818
Does anyone have impressions of the DAC+ compared to the Liberty? Trying to decide if it is worth the expense for the Brooklyn alone rather than the lower model and an extra pair of headphones like a pair of SDR HD800 or a pair of Eikon to supplement my Atticus and HD650. Will be using a balanced headphone amp and also have a balanced power amp with a TT but dont have to have use the DAC w/ speakers or vinyl. Could be nice however.

I like the screen, higher end chips and filters (briefly had an S2 Digital with the mobile 9038 chips with filters) on the + but Love the lower price on the liberty since it’s over double for the upgrade.

I listened to the Liberty briefly at CanJam. From what I remember, the Liberty and original Brooklyn are close in sound...at least to me. I also listened to (and bought the DAC+) because I thought it sounded more resolving the the Liberty and original Brooklyn. I don't think either of them are slouches by any means, but I think you'd be happy with the Liberty.

Jun 7, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #186 of 818
I listened to the Liberty briefly at CanJam. From what I remember, the Liberty and original Brooklyn are close in sound...at least to me. I also listened to (and bought the DAC+) because I thought it sounded more resolving the the Liberty and original Brooklyn. I don't think either of them are slouches by any means, but I think you'd be happy with the Liberty.

The potential for a slightly more resolving presentation is intruiging too. Something to think about before making the purchase.

I saw one user with a DAC+ say it bested their Bifrost MB, which is what’s I’m running along with an ifi micro BL. The best Micro detail within red book and high res files possible could be worth it more than another pair of ~$1k headphones, plus the extra features for my 2.0 systems.

Thanks for the reply.

Edit: Anybody else compared the two?

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #188 of 818
Made the plunge and will find out how the DAC+ is in about a week.
Hope you like it! I'd also like to add: My comparison at CanJam was with a single ended connection. The DAC+ was great. At home I A/Bed single ended vs balanced. Balanced definitely sounded like a wider soundstage...not necessary better, but I think I prefer it.

Jun 23, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #189 of 818
That is a nasty glitch with 24/192 FLAC. [edit:: (24/352, 24/176, and 24/88 are unaffected)] new discovery for me here... 96 or 192 pop

The popping sound will not go away whether MQA is enabled or disabled. (I need to double check that though. edit: nope, still does it with MQA on with 4 or 8 channel setting) Any filter. Wasapi event or push, asio, I still need to try direct sound though. (Didn’t work) Setting to 8 channels did nothing. 1.21 firmware shipped with my DAC+

Just got it two days ago and it’s great otherwise but this glitch needs a fix. Tidal has the album in 24/192 MQA and it works fine. The copy I have is fine on other DACs.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #191 of 818
High res PCM sample rates at multiples of 44.1 do not pop at 88.2, 176.4, or 352.8

a 192KHz copy of a test track pops, but the 96KHz version does not. This is via asio on foobar2000

I found this problem more than two months ago (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mytek-brooklyn-thread.839214/page-11#post-14188437) but I heard the crackling noise with PCM 88.2 and 96 too.
Mytek acknowledged the problem and said it started working on a fix. Two months are passed but no fix is available.
I am starting getting worried they do not know how to fix it.
The same tracks play flawlessly on my $199 portable DAC (IFi Nano iDSD Black Label)
This is unacceptable in a $2000+ DAC!

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #192 of 818
I found this problem more than two months ago (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mytek-brooklyn-thread.839214/page-11#post-14188437) but I heard the crackling noise with PCM 88.2 and 96 too.
Mytek acknowledged the problem and said it started working on a fix. Two months are passed but no fix is available.
I am starting getting worried they do not know how to fix it.
This is unacceptable in a DAC of this cost.

Yep... I had been keeping up with the thread before my purchase and was doing some testing today with various sample rate files from 2L.no

Wondering about a fix too, but it doesn’t impact my use since most of my stuff is via Tidal.

Figured I’d share my findings. My unit was preinstalled with 1.21 firmware if that matters.

It’s interesting that 88.2, 96, 176.4, 352.8 dont pop on my particular Brooklyn.

Jun 27, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #193 of 818
Im considering checking the Brooklyn out for possible purchase. Is this "popping" a one-time thing when a track goes from 44.1 to 24/192 for example,or does it make this noise thru out the file?

Jun 27, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #194 of 818
Im considering checking the Brooklyn out for possible purchase. Is this "popping" a one-time thing when a track goes from 44.1 to 24/192 for example,or does it make this noise thru out the file?
The whole 192 FLAC file has frequent random popping that it doesn’t have on my other DAC.

Tidal is fine with MQA and all other sample rates locally with flac or WAV (haven’t tried 48 or 384 though) work fine for me

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #195 of 818
Thanks,guess I will give this DAC a pass and focus on another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back