Mytek Brooklyn Thread
Feb 3, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #106 of 690

captblaze

Headphoneus Supremus
the original Brooklyn had approx. 200 hours. I have music playing in my office constantly so my desktop rig gets a work out. I have my Yggy also and am trying to decide if I should do the analog board upgrade. I don't have a use case that would make it a have to do it now proposition. Months later and I will stand by my statement regarding the 2 Brooklyn's. To my ear the Brooklyn + wins out of the original. Once I get Yggy updated I will have a chance to compare it against the + again and see if there is any I can notice

Feb 3, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #107 of 690

Left Channel

1000+ Head-Fier
"Distortion Compensation"? What's that?

Recent ESS DAC chips are designed to compensate for the total harmonic distortion (THD) caused by the chips' analog outputs. As I understand it (and I understand very little of this), newer generations of these chips have improved abilities to null these problems out to at least the second and third harmonics. The latest generation allows developers to design a way for users to manually turn some or all of this on or off, but in the Brooklyn/Brooklyn+ I don't think there's any way for end users to play with this.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #108 of 690

thegabe

Head-Fier
Did you adjust the gain with jumpers before giving up on it? I've read that will address the hiss issue.

I was not the only person reporting hiss with sensitive headphones on the original Brooklyn DAC. My new Brooklyn DAC+ is significantly better in this regard. I still prefer one of my external amps when I'm home, but the integrated headphone amp is great when I'm on the move.

Feb 4, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #110 of 690

NickedWicked

100+ Head-Fier
Exploring Tidal a bit with the Brooklyn+ and I have to say I'm rather impressed by the extra detail you get with master files and MQA on, sad their library is so small though, can't shake the feel of fuzziness despite the extra depth and texture with MQA. I think it's down to the power supply but not really interested in adding another 600$ for a linear power supply me thinks.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #111 of 690

exdmd

500+ Head-Fier
Exploring Tidal a bit with the Brooklyn+ and I have to say I'm rather impressed by the extra detail you get with master files and MQA on, sad their library is so small though, can't shake the feel of fuzziness despite the extra depth and texture with MQA. I think it's down to the power supply but not really interested in adding another 600$ for a linear power supply me thinks.

You do need an LPS with the DAC+. You will hear the difference. I economized and went with the Sbooster BOTW P&P ECO 12V - 13.2V for under $400 and the difference in SQ is worth the expense. The Uptone JS-2 LPS seems to be considered the best LPS for the Brooklyn but costs $925. How much better than the Sbooster is the JS-2? Would be interesting to hear from someone who has listened to both.

Feb 4, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #112 of 690

thegabe

Head-Fier
I also went with the sbooster. I think it sounds a bit better but only marginally. I would say it was worth it for the price but I would be surprised if throwing any more money at a more expensive lps would get you much more.

Feb 4, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #113 of 690

bobfa

New Head-Fier
I also went with the sbooster. I think it sounds a bit better but only marginally. I would say it was worth it for the price but I would be surprised if throwing any more money at a more expensive lps would get you much more.
I have not heard the booster but I have the JS-2 that the second rail is running my MacMini and the combo is darn impressive. I would not go back. The improvement on the DAC+ was welcome but the improvement to the system cleaning up the power to the Mac mini is nothing short of a miracle!

I am testing a SOTM SMS-200 Ultra stack in between vs USB direct to the Mac. I have not done an USB cleanup as of yet only a Transparent Audio HP USB cable. I have a ISO Regen on the way and I am trying to get a SOTM TXusb ultra..

RJF

Will see if USB cleaned up direct to the Mac vs the network SMS200 link stuff works better.

Feb 5, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #114 of 690

NickedWicked

100+ Head-Fier
You do need an LPS with the DAC+. You will hear the difference. I economized and went with the Sbooster BOTW P&P ECO 12V - 13.2V for under $400 and the difference in SQ is worth the expense. The Uptone JS-2 LPS seems to be considered the best LPS for the Brooklyn but costs $925. How much better than the Sbooster is the JS-2? Would be interesting to hear from someone who has listened to both.
Thanks! Might look into the Uptone since it doesn't have to be used for the Brooklyn+ only, very worthwhile investment to get the absolute maximum out of your gear.

Feb 5, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #115 of 690

watchdog507

100+ Head-Fier
Thanks! Might look into the Uptone since it doesn't have to be used for the Brooklyn+ only, very worthwhile investment to get the absolute maximum out of your gear.

I no longer have a Brooklyn but when I did I borrowed one of the HDPlex Linear Power Supplies. I had a hard time discerning any changes. The outboard, linear power supply won't hurt. But it may not make a dramatic change. If you do go the HDPlex route you can use the myriad of connectors in the future. So it won't be a toss away.

https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-fanless-200w-linear-power-supply-for-pc-audio-and-ce-device.html

Feb 6, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #116 of 690

Mojo777

100+ Head-Fier
The sbooster, specifically set to 13.2v, made for a nice improvement with the Dac+

Feb 8, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #119 of 690

thegabe

Head-Fier
Just unboxed my new ifi Pro iCAN tonight and hooked it up to my DAC+. All three modes are fantastic, but specifically tube mode paired with my Utopias is sublime. Wow, just wow. I think I'm going to stick with this setup for a while.

Now I have to listen to everything I've ever heard all over again.

Feb 8, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #120 of 690

Mikesp1

New Head-Fier
I am extremely happy with the new Mytek Brooklyn dac+.
Very transparant and almost Lp wise sound.

On the other hand, the Mytek in combination with a Musical Fidelity M6i is a little bright on my Klipsch Palladium towers.
So today I tried a Synthesis Roma 69DC tube dac. Wow, this is a magical warm sounding combination. Less transparant but full bodied and just musical!
The headphone amp in the Roma 69DC is sublime with Klipsch HP-3 headphones.

Synthesis-Roma-69DC-tube-dac.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread