Mytek Brooklyn Thread
Feb 3, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #106 of 807
Did you adjust the gain with jumpers before giving up on it? I've read that will address the hiss issue.

I was not the only person reporting hiss with sensitive headphones on the original Brooklyn DAC. My new Brooklyn DAC+ is significantly better in this regard. I still prefer one of my external amps when I'm home, but the integrated headphone amp is great when I'm on the move.

Feb 4, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #108 of 807
Exploring Tidal a bit with the Brooklyn+ and I have to say I'm rather impressed by the extra detail you get with master files and MQA on, sad their library is so small though, can't shake the feel of fuzziness despite the extra depth and texture with MQA. I think it's down to the power supply but not really interested in adding another 600$ for a linear power supply me thinks.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #109 of 807
Exploring Tidal a bit with the Brooklyn+ and I have to say I'm rather impressed by the extra detail you get with master files and MQA on, sad their library is so small though, can't shake the feel of fuzziness despite the extra depth and texture with MQA. I think it's down to the power supply but not really interested in adding another 600$ for a linear power supply me thinks.

You do need an LPS with the DAC+. You will hear the difference. I economized and went with the Sbooster BOTW P&P ECO 12V - 13.2V for under $400 and the difference in SQ is worth the expense. The Uptone JS-2 LPS seems to be considered the best LPS for the Brooklyn but costs $925. How much better than the Sbooster is the JS-2? Would be interesting to hear from someone who has listened to both.

Feb 4, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #110 of 807
I also went with the sbooster. I think it sounds a bit better but only marginally. I would say it was worth it for the price but I would be surprised if throwing any more money at a more expensive lps would get you much more.

Feb 4, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #111 of 807
I also went with the sbooster. I think it sounds a bit better but only marginally. I would say it was worth it for the price but I would be surprised if throwing any more money at a more expensive lps would get you much more.
I have not heard the booster but I have the JS-2 that the second rail is running my MacMini and the combo is darn impressive. I would not go back. The improvement on the DAC+ was welcome but the improvement to the system cleaning up the power to the Mac mini is nothing short of a miracle!

I am testing a SOTM SMS-200 Ultra stack in between vs USB direct to the Mac. I have not done an USB cleanup as of yet only a Transparent Audio HP USB cable. I have a ISO Regen on the way and I am trying to get a SOTM TXusb ultra..

RJF

Will see if USB cleaned up direct to the Mac vs the network SMS200 link stuff works better.

Feb 5, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #112 of 807
You do need an LPS with the DAC+. You will hear the difference. I economized and went with the Sbooster BOTW P&P ECO 12V - 13.2V for under $400 and the difference in SQ is worth the expense. The Uptone JS-2 LPS seems to be considered the best LPS for the Brooklyn but costs $925. How much better than the Sbooster is the JS-2? Would be interesting to hear from someone who has listened to both.
Thanks! Might look into the Uptone since it doesn't have to be used for the Brooklyn+ only, very worthwhile investment to get the absolute maximum out of your gear.

Feb 5, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #113 of 807
Thanks! Might look into the Uptone since it doesn't have to be used for the Brooklyn+ only, very worthwhile investment to get the absolute maximum out of your gear.

I no longer have a Brooklyn but when I did I borrowed one of the HDPlex Linear Power Supplies. I had a hard time discerning any changes. The outboard, linear power supply won't hurt. But it may not make a dramatic change. If you do go the HDPlex route you can use the myriad of connectors in the future. So it won't be a toss away.

https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-fanless-200w-linear-power-supply-for-pc-audio-and-ce-device.html

Feb 8, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #117 of 807
Just unboxed my new ifi Pro iCAN tonight and hooked it up to my DAC+. All three modes are fantastic, but specifically tube mode paired with my Utopias is sublime. Wow, just wow. I think I'm going to stick with this setup for a while.

Now I have to listen to everything I've ever heard all over again.

Feb 8, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #118 of 807
I am extremely happy with the new Mytek Brooklyn dac+.
Very transparant and almost Lp wise sound.

On the other hand, the Mytek in combination with a Musical Fidelity M6i is a little bright on my Klipsch Palladium towers.
So today I tried a Synthesis Roma 69DC tube dac. Wow, this is a magical warm sounding combination. Less transparant but full bodied and just musical!
The headphone amp in the Roma 69DC is sublime with Klipsch HP-3 headphones.

Synthesis-Roma-69DC-tube-dac.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #119 of 807
I was at CanJam NYC this year and spent about 30 minutes listening to the Brooklyn DAC+. I was really impressed and paid for one right then and there and picked it up from Mytek's Brooklyn office a few days later. I'm still fairly new to the audiophile world so this was a substantial upgrade from what I was originally using, an Apogee Groove. What really impresses me about the B+ is how resolving it is. Using my benchmark set of tracks, I noticed new details that the Groove definitely didn't pick up. On top of that, something I didn't pick up on until a few hours of listening was that I was listening for a few hours! The sound wasn't fatiguing at all. With the Groove, I took regular breaks -- my ears just needed a rest.

I'm listening with a pair of Audeze LCD-XCs single-ended. I'm still burning my B+ in but still amazing so far. I had posted much earlier in the thread about concerns I had about the original Brooklyn, and I'm happy to say I haven't had a single issue. I'm looking into getting a headphone cable custom made that has dual 1/4" jacks 'baked' into it (I don't want the bulk/length of an adapter), an Sbooster (which seems to be out of stock everywhere at the moment), and a Curious cable. Going to take it one step at a time!

Overall I'm very happy with the the B+!

Mar 3, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #120 of 807
I have to agree with @Kerwin515 that the DAC+ is a good improvement over the DAC - especially in regards to the headphone amp. I gotta give a plug to Travis at Corpse Cables for my custom cables. He made me a balanced Mytek cable with his GraveDigger custom Cardas rubber cable that is hella flexible and sounds amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back