Mytek Brooklyn Thread
Jan 29, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #346 of 818
fwiw i got it for 1700 new from the dealer.
That’s better than I got mine for.

I edited to say there is a non + Brooklyn for almost $1500 on audiogon without LPSU (edit, it actually has a small iFi psu.) Oh well. I’ve sold a ton of stuff for less than I should have too. It’s in the past though. Have a good one man.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #347 of 818
with that said the dealer was low balling me, insultingly so and i will prob not buy from them again as a result.

Jan 29, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #349 of 818
idk, if they sell $2200 DACs for $1700 maybe don’t burn bridges. Just don’t offer them anything since they lowball so hard.
thats how i feel about it, i am not going to burn the bridge but i have given up on hi fi. i am content with what i have for now. resale value for most things is not good as an investment. maybe my mcintosh or the utopias hold their value but i like them both so much i would not want to sell either.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #350 of 818
Have many of you tried a different LPS? I'm finding the Astron RS-20M and even my lithium battery pack to really make a noticeable difference in sound quality with my Liberty dac.

Certainly not organic and analog sounding like tube gear but for solid state ....its "good". If anyone ever finds an April Music Stello U3 usb to spdif convertor buy it for entertainment purposes. Much more analog sounding than other usb/spdif converters I've tested. I've used a Concero HD dac as a Usb/spdif converter and it sounded much different to my stello U3.

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #351 of 818
Have many of you tried a different LPS? I'm finding the Astron RS-20M and even my lithium battery pack to really make a noticeable difference in sound quality with my Liberty dac.

Certainly not organic and analog sounding like tube gear but for solid state ....its "good". If anyone ever finds an April Music Stello U3 usb to spdif convertor buy it for entertainment purposes. Much more analog sounding than other usb/spdif converters I've tested. I've used a Concero HD dac as a Usb/spdif converter and it sounded much different to my stello U3.

I’m using an old 3amp variable LPS from my dad’s work that was used to power normally battery powered gear for repair on the bench. It was pretty expensive back when it was new. I like it better than the Astron since the RS-20M hums too much on our power grid. This unit is silent. They are nonexistent to find online used so I’m not going to mention the model. But it’s better for my use case.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #352 of 818
I've tested my lithium battery vs Astron. I agree the battery in my case will not introduce any noise to the grid. My 2 channel audio setup sound great with either power source. I do have a full setup of Blue circle audio power conditioning that costs easy 2x the cost of a brooklyn + :)

The astron has a hum but for my 2 channel purposes even the lowest volumes I cannot hear it.

I guess any sub standard power conditioning may effect sound quality. Oddly many headfi people invest in such devices when using AC cords to desktop amps.

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #353 of 818
I've tested my lithium battery vs Astron. I agree the battery in my case will not introduce any noise to the grid. My 2 channel audio setup sound great with either power source. I do have a full setup of Blue circle audio power conditioning that costs easy 2x the cost of a brooklyn + :)

The astron has a hum but for my 2 channel purposes even the lowest volumes I cannot hear it.

I guess any sub standard power conditioning may effect sound quality. Oddly many headfi people invest in such devices when using AC cords to desktop amps.

The Brooklyn sounds fine/great at the speakers with the Astron, I just couldn’t stand the hum from the RS-20 LPSU itself. I should try it at another location with better AC power and see if the Astron PSU hums there too or not. It really is a ham radio power supply vs the more expensive DC bench supply, which was free to me, so I’ll take it. Set it and forget it basically.

Jan 30, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #356 of 818
linear power supply -----> www.sbooster.com

Thank you!

I wasn't sure if I was looking at the right thing :)

I noticed Brooklyn DAC+ also has a plug for a battery / power stabiliser and a friend who is really into circuits told me this would give it a better sound. I am curious if anyone ever got that one running.

Jan 30, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #357 of 818
LPS does make a difference. I've actually added pure dc with a lithium battery pack. The SQ does improve over the mediocre switching power supply in many headphone amps. The key difference is some manufacturers use alot of $$$ filtration in the units to clean out the ripple.

Jan 31, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #358 of 818
LPS does make a difference. I've actually added pure dc with a lithium battery pack. The SQ does improve over the mediocre switching power supply in many headphone amps. The key difference is some manufacturers use alot of $$$ filtration in the units to clean out the ripple.

Now I really want to try some LPS for my Brooklyn DAC+.

I was testing it last night, even comparing it to some higher-end portables I have, and MAN, I like what I'm hearing from Brooklyn DAC+.

It is also really easy to love with that cool and crisp little display it has.

Jan 31, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #360 of 818
I am selling mine for 1100 euro (first version though) a few month and nobody bought, so yes Mytek has bad resale value or I do not know, I will not low ball I think it is good deal.

That's interesting

I am listening to the Brooklyn+ version right now, and with headphones, it is simply outstanding. I see a HUGE difference when using midrange priced headphones, it really makes them shine and powers them without a hiccup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back