MYSPHERE 3.1-UNIQUE in SOUND&DESIGN&BUILD QUALITY
Jun 7, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #1,336 of 1,394
I have been going through a few of the amplifiers from SAEQ (Serbian Audio Equipment) helmed by Dragan Domanovic. They are perhaps still a well kept secret except for those of us who have heard their impressive amplifiers for RAAL Requisite ribbon HPs, like the HSA-1c, the VM1a. Jaben Singapore, which is also the AD for MySphere in Singapore, brought in the SEAQ amplifiers for ribbon HPs as well as their normal amplifiers. Wilson very kindly asked me to give the range a listen for my impressions. :)

This is the SAEQ Morpheus. I spent yesterday evening listening to the MySphere 3.2 on the Morpheus. Excellent combination.

I am surprised that the Morpheus is so competitively priced. In terms of specifications, I think it holds its own vis-a-vis the rest of the range. What I will say about the sound signature of the Morpheus is this: it is similar to the flagship Hyperion Ge in that it is tuned to be more focused on an organic and slightly “sweeter” portrayal of the music.

Because of that, the MS 3.2 sounds very rich and there is excellent depth of soundstage (in addition to the wide soundstage of course). There is excellent note weight. There is a nice rumble in the QQ Music tracks I enjoy listening. In the style of the period drama music soundtracks.

You can see that I only have it at around 6/24 on -5 dB attenuation. What I do enjoy about the Morpheus is the possibility to have direct drive with no attenuation and then attenuation of -5 dB and -10 dB. YMMV but at this point of the volume pot, i find it to be at its sweet spot. There is excellent density and sound saturation.

The Morpheus is definitely something to try if you have happen to pass by Jaben SG. :)

I have also been listening to the flagship amplifier from the SAEQ team: the Hyperion Ge. The interesting thing about the Hyperion Ge is that it uses Germanium transistors which were discontinued from common use in the 1970s because of the costs involved. What do you get in return for the additional cost? An intoxicating and opulent mix of big soundstage, great note weight, a sheen of romance, whilst still remaining transparent and detailed. The stand out feature for me is the staggering sound saturation. Very rarely have I felt as much cocooned in the sound field of the MS 3.2.

The Ge is also great with the classic hard to drive planars like the Susvara, Abyss and HE-6. With plenty of power to spare. And yet my easy to drive headphones like the Fostex TH900 and ES-R10 sound excellent off it too. It is also a speaker amp to boot. That sort of explains why it is so powerful. :)

There are not many reviews of the Ge. But this one is excellent: https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/am...ws/saeq-hyperion-ge-and-raal-requisite-ca-1a/

I have been floating in the warm embrace of the Ge since I brought it back from Jaben Singapore for further listening. Big thanks to Wilson! :)

IMG_7158.jpeg
IMG_6881.jpeg
IMG_6880.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #1,337 of 1,394
Hi everyone

could you please report your experiences of pairing the Mysphere 3.2 with OTL amplifiers? On paper it seems to be ok, but how is it in actual listening?

An opportunity arise to purchase this model (used) in this version, however I am not a SS sound fan.

Jun 10, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #1,338 of 1,394
Hallo, es ist ziemlich schwierig, die Kombination von MySphere 3 mit Röhrenverstärkern allein aufgrund der Kommentare von Benutzern zu beurteilen.
Dies liegt daran, dass sich Röhrenverstärker je nach Modell aufgrund der Ausgangsimpedanz stark unterscheiden. Es gibt so viele Typen, mit und ohne Ausgangstransformatoren, verschiedene Spulenwicklungen.
Auch Benutzer verwenden nicht nur das MYSPHERE 3.1, sondern auch das 3.2.
All dies führte zu ganz unterschiedlichen Auftritten und Eindrücken.
Es würde mich jedoch sehr freuen, von Ihnen allen zu lesen. Bitte geben Sie aber auch den Verstärkertyp und die MYSPHERE-Version an.
Yours Heinz

Jun 10, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #1,339 of 1,394
Hallo, es ist ziemlich schwierig, die Kombination von MySphere 3 mit Röhrenverstärkern allein aufgrund der Kommentare von Benutzern zu beurteilen.
Dies liegt daran, dass sich Röhrenverstärker je nach Modell aufgrund der Ausgangsimpedanz stark unterscheiden. Es gibt so viele Typen, mit und ohne Ausgangstransformatoren, verschiedene Spulenwicklungen.
Auch Benutzer verwenden nicht nur das MYSPHERE 3.1, sondern auch das 3.2.
All dies führte zu ganz unterschiedlichen Auftritten und Eindrücken.
Es würde mich jedoch sehr freuen, von Ihnen allen zu lesen. Bitte geben Sie aber auch den Verstärkertyp und die MYSPHERE-Version an.
Yours Heinz
Hallo Herr Renner,

thank you for the reply on your rest day and I understand all the care you propose regarding possible answers from users. That's why I tried to restrict as much as possible the scope of answers characterizing the specific context: Mysphere 3.2 paired with OTL tube amplifiers.

I am having a very hard time choosing amplification for this true successor of the K1000, my all time favorite "headphone". The Mysphere 3.2 with my Audiopax (non OTL) tube monos was extremely disappointing, it sounds at the level of an HD600, which is completely impossible under normal conditions. I live in Brazil, a country where imports cost 100% of the value paid for the product, which is an impediment to trying out various amplifiers. So the help of the community is particularly important.

Jun 10, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #1,340 of 1,394
What should I look for in an OTL amplifier in terms of technical specifications?

All of this is still very confusing to me. It is known that 3.2 goes well with SS amplifiers that have low output impedance, but this same 110ohms version is indicated for OTL tube amplifiers, whose output impedance is (necessarily?) high.

Please help me complete the fantastic quartet of true ear-speakers! AKG K1000, Stax Sigma and Raal SR1a look forward to the company of their brother.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #1,341 of 1,394
Otl-Verstärker verwenden per Definition keine Ausgangstransformatoren.
Wenn die Ausgangsimpedanz dieser Verstärker unter 10 Ohm liegt, wird der MYSPHERE 3.2 empfohlen.
Das Problem besteht jedoch darin, dass Hersteller genau die Ausgangsimpedanz ihrer Produkte veröffentlichen.
Ich hoffe, dass dies ein wenig mehr über die Komplexität dieses Punktes erklärt.
best regards Heinz

Jun 13, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #1,342 of 1,394
Hallo Herr Renner,

thank you for the reply on your rest day and I understand all the care you propose regarding possible answers from users. That's why I tried to restrict as much as possible the scope of answers characterizing the specific context: Mysphere 3.2 paired with OTL tube amplifiers.

I am having a very hard time choosing amplification for this true successor of the K1000, my all time favorite "headphone". The Mysphere 3.2 with my Audiopax (non OTL) tube monos was extremely disappointing, it sounds at the level of an HD600, which is completely impossible under normal conditions. I live in Brazil, a country where imports cost 100% of the value paid for the product, which is an impediment to trying out various amplifiers. So the help of the community is particularly important.
The Mysphere is an extremely capable headphone, running it with EQ further unfolds it’s full potential with more music styles.

This is on par with e.g. the Raal SR-1a, another “hover ear” ‘phone, which is delivered with a “baffle step compensation” EQ to counter act an unavoidable physicality related boost around ca. 2 kHz (see below).

The old AKG K-1000 had this EQ built in too, in passive form using a coil, a cap and a resistor.

Therefore I highly suggest the RME ADI-2 DAC FS, a DAC with very powerful headphones amp, that offers comprehensive DSP functions including a fully parametric 7-band equalizer.

Even an On-The-Go solution exists:
The Qudelix 5K is capable enough to drive Mysphere, and again has a fully parametric 10-band EQ built in.
Qudelix 5K eats a lot much more costly portables for breakfast.

I do use both devices with great satisfaction.
I even have an OTL tube amp, designed for the K-1000, but the RME is the much better solution.
IMO Mysphere doesn’t need tubes to shine.

Regarding the mentioned “Baffle Step”-effect:
For every transducer the efficiency raises in the range where the 1/2 wavelength approaches it’s physical dimensions.
It’s a result of increase of acoustic load, or the air cannot elude around the baffle once the air pressure changes fast enough, at higher frequencies.

The Mysphere‘s (favorably) has smaller physical dimensions and a more squared acoustically-effective shape than the other two ‘phones mentioned.

Sidenote: plus, Mysphere has more of a premium design - making it look almost like a gem, see the picture of the girl wearing it, some postings above.
An AKG K-1000 or Raal SR-1a wouldn’t have the slightest chance to look that good in comparison.

At the same time these Mysphere’s dimensional features makes the “baffle step” frequency response irregularity more pronounced than on the other ‘phones mentioned.

This is Crinacle’s Mysphere measurement which clearly shows the typical shape of the effect (marked by me).
1C39CA34-5205-4C4A-B70E-40D173F6BA8E.jpeg

Here you can find a proposal for an elaborate EQ setting based on long time use of Mysphere:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mys...und-design-build-quality.819658/post-16796657
Here is my take on an equalizer setting for the Mysphere 3.2.

It was created over a period of three months.

I started with some measurements.
Through a lot of little tweaks and version comparisons by ear, with all kinds of music, I ended up with the setting below.
Made for the RME ADI-2 (DAC or Pro), but can be used on other systems too.
For me RME ADI-2 Pro / DAC and Mysphere is a dream-team.

Important to know:

My listening levels are between -30 and -40 dBr with ADI-2 Pro’s Auto Reference Level on.
The resulting Peak Voltage level is about -8 dBu = 300 mV = 0.9 mW, with typical pop music track.
With more dynamic mixes the figures are -2 dBu = 600 mV = 3.5 mW Peak.
The resulting Sound Pressure Level is in the range of 65 dB LEQ, measured at ear entrance.

So this setting is made to be used at ear-healthy, moderate loudness levels.
Vocals in the music are at about peoples normal talking level.

I use the Bass- (B-) Pads, but due to some distance to the ear there is only neglectable bass-boost, compared with removed pads.

I position the Mysphere 3.2‘s driver’s center a little bit higher than my ear entrance.
The drivers are angled by 28° (Cut a plastic card as angle measure).
I can just put my little finger between the drivers and the edge of my pinnae.
By shifting the drivers up and down one can change that signature quite some, up = lighter-, down = fuller sound signature.
Similar applies to the driver’s angling.
In my multiple measurements I found, the midrange sound signature is quite consistent with various positions.

The EQ uses a 27 Hz Hi-Pass (low cut) Filter with high Q.
This boosts the bass and removes sub-lows that can overdrive [not exactly, read one post below for an explanation] Mysphere without producing sound level.
The Treble Shelve Band is not used (Gain = 0 dB), frequency and Q are pre-set to adjust treble to taste.
Band 5 and Treble Band settings can be swapped if one needs more detailed tweaks.

RME ADI-2EQ forMysphere 3.2w. B-Pad
BandGain dBF HzQShape
B/Bass+6.01100.7B-shelf
1n.a.271.6HP-Filter
2-7.52.3k1.7Peak
3+6.02.7k2.8Peak
4-3.54.9k2.9Peak
5+6,04.2k1.2Hi-shelf
T/Treble0.04.2k0.8Hi-shelfadjust to taste

green: Mysphere 3.2 Raw,
orange: RME ADI-2 Pro EQ,
blue: Reference

The result:
Mysphere 3.2 Raw, EQed with RME ADI-2 Pro,
blue: Reference

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #1,343 of 1,394
I thought I would share an alternative amplifier that drives the MS 3.2 very capably. This is the SAEQ PDA-1b. Lots of options in terms of attenuation. Both at input as well as output.

You know you have a winner with the MS 3.2 when you have excellent density of sound, along with the great soundstage. :)

IMG_7696.jpeg
IMG_7657.jpeg

Jul 21, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #1,344 of 1,394
Yes, but I have the B-Cushions about 1 cm distant from my ears.
I wonder how most people here use their Myspheres in terms of the distance between the ear and the sound frame.

Two people I personally knew who owned them rarely used the Mysphere in a fully closed mode when the soundframes touch the ears. And so do I myself.

That is kind peculiar since, as far as I understand, the headphones were created, tuned, etc. to sound best fully closed.

Personally, I feel that the fully closed mode kind of doesn't make much sense. This way Mysphere sounds just like another pair of very good headphones. It doesn't capitalize to the full extent on the very rare, almost unique, construction without any pads (not even mentioning, that I noticed that many people hate when any part of headphones (pads, a baffle plate, etc.) touches their ears). When the soundframes are fully open, on the other hand, the sound is very open, wide, the soundstage is huge. No pair of normal headphones can sound this big, extensive. No the Senneiser HD800, no anything. But unfortunately, it is easy to hear that tuning of the headphones isn't intended for this kind of use, even without mentioning that the small driver isn't able to produce enough bass this way.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #1,345 of 1,394
But unfortunately, it is easy to hear that tuning of the headphones isn't intended for this kind of use, even without mentioning that the small driver isn't able to produce enough bass this way.
that's the technical/design contradiction that all ear speaker lovers have to live with. I have accepted them as they are. Among the four successful models (considering the Stax Sigma variants as part of the group, although it doesn't fall entirely under that category), AKG K1000 is the only one that does well when set at 30/40 degrees of openness.

I don't understand why no manufacturer of headphones that use planar drivers has offered us an ear speaker model, when it seems to me that this technology would have the potential to considerably mitigate this inherent design problem. The ear speaker design is so fascinating and attractive that we even have an electrostatic attempt, which is obviously "insanity".

Hello Hifiman!!!

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #1,347 of 1,394
Easy to answer:
Planar drivers does have by far too less membrane excursion! But this is needed when the driver has to move air without any cushion around.
Thank you for reducing my technical ignorance, Herr Renner. As a professor, I am always ready to learn.

Jul 24, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #1,348 of 1,394
Easy to answer:
Planar drivers does have by far too less membrane excursion! But this is needed when the driver has to move air without any cushion around.
I can only second this from my experience with the original Abyss: having it play music while not on my head, one could hear distortion from the membrane going wild. It needed the resistance of the closed volume between ear, driver and pad to become stable. Not that its sound blew me away then either though :wink:

Jul 24, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #1,349 of 1,394
A small great discovery... 100% of my listening is devoted to classical repertoire from the European musical tradition (but created by composers from all over the world) and something from the venerable Indian classical music tradition. In recent years, almost all of that time has been taken up by the AKG K1000 and Raal SR1a, headphones that exhibit bright tendencies which I have been able to bring under control via other links in my system (tube amps, warm cables, and so on). When I read that the K1000 would have a true successor, I was extremely excited, the mySphere was on my radar even before it was released, because, in my opinion, NOTHING beats the spatial coherence made possible by the ear-speaker models, I do not mean width or depth of the soundstage, but, I repeat, spatial coherence, an expression impossible to decompose into logically inferior concepts, but that is not necessary, anyone who listens to acoustic music through ear-speakers knows what I am referring to.

I recently acquired the mySphere 3.2 from a friend who has made the transition to a stratospheric (price and quality) speaker system and I didn't like what I was listening at all... muffled, poor dynamic contrast, coherent sound distribution in space ok as is typical of these models, but very modest depth and width. Ok, I thought, I need a proper amp, my Audiopax monoblocks tube amplifiers with output transformers don't do the job well... while I was researching a suitable amp (OTL tube, as solid state amps never please me), I decided to perform a test, I removed the pads and listened to one of my favorite works with the naked drivers.... and then mySphere said right next to my ears "hello Sandro, that's me!". Incredible! Everything I expected from it was there, wide soundstage, explosive dynamics, perfect tone, slightly bright, just the way I like it. I don't need a new amp, I now just need a pair of the "transparent" sound frame cushions, for my favorite music genre and to get the kind of sound I really love, like the one provided by the K1000 and Raal SR1a, the "standard" sound frame cushions are completely inadequate. The impact of these pads on how the mysphere will sound is much more profound than this kind of change causes in other headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back