MYSPHERE 3.1-UNIQUE in SOUND&DESIGN&BUILD QUALITY
Dec 27, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #1,067 of 1,383
Hello,
No! this is not correct to say the impedance of headphones alone can be an proper indicator of amp/headphone match.
Especially the planar magnetic products does have a quite linear impedance curve - this means the resistance is almost the same at all frequencies.
Dynamic drivers are much different to that and additionally there is the matter of the electromotive force EMF.
Another example apart from the MYSPHERE are the FOCAL types with the strong 40mm drivers (UTOPIA, STELLIA and others). This drivers does also have a similar impedance curve and become influenced by the amps quite strong.
BR heinz
I think you mean to say Back-EMF, which happens at various physical resonance frequencies of the driver: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_characteristics_of_dynamic_loudspeakers#Resonance

Dec 28, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #1,069 of 1,383
@hrklg01
Would be interesting, worst case, how many % this Back-EMF can exceed the input the Mysphere was feed?
This could help to find out if an amplifier can handle the extra current/power requiered to drive the Mysphere without clipping.

E.g., how much short circuit current the Mysphere is able to generate when drive is reversed at Myspheres maximum mechanical velocity?
Due to Mysphere's internal resistance there must be a certain limit.
My estimate: the current flow could be doubled at max, related to what could be expected on a purely resistive load.

2nd important question for amplifier stability, what's the max. voltage/current phase angle under such circumstance?

Dec 28, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #1,070 of 1,383
@hrklg01
Would be interesting, worst case, how many % this Back-EMF can exceed the input the Mysphere was feed?
This could help to find out if an amplifier can handle the extra current/power requiered to drive the Mysphere without clipping.

E.g., how much short circuit current the Mysphere is able to generate when drive is reversed at Myspheres maximum mechanical velocity?
Due to Mysphere's internal resistance there must be a certain limit.
My estimate: the current flow could be doubled at max, related to what could be expected on a purely resistive load.

2nd important question for amplifier stability, what's the max. voltage/current phase angle under such circumstance?

Hello @KaiSc
All these are very good questions!
I try to measure those parameters when being back in office after the holidays!
Thank you rising it!
Br heinz

Jan 18, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #1,071 of 1,383
Not sure I am in the correct thread for this, but I just received my MS3.2 "cans"—big shout out to Alfred Kainz of High End Electronics in Apple Valley, CA for responding to my email yesterday morning and seeing that these got in my hands in one day—and am starting to put them through my track testing playlist. Listening on this chain right now: Roon Nucleus+—>Lumin A1—>HeadAmp GS-X mk2. Not at all sure I have these fitted as well as I should, and of course, they are brand new, but wow, these are impressive. I am first and foremost an electrostat guy, planar after that. My HD800 and Utopia cans simply aren't in my top tier, though I enjoy them both. But whether it's large choral/symphonic works, electronic, pop, rock, or female vocals, so far, this is one impressive headphone. Soundstage, resolution, tonal balance, speed, all good so far. I am also evaluating Meze Empyrean and HFM Susvara at the moment, and these are seriously captivating in comparison.

Jan 20, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #1,072 of 1,383
Thanks to the guys at Woo Audio, I was able to demo the MySphere 3.2s for a week and I really enjoyed them. I'm on the fence (the Raals and maybe Stax are still options) but I should probably just buy a pair of these (since an acquaintance also has an Apex Teton he'd let me "have"; I expect the pairing would yield a superior result: OTL amp plus 3.2 MySpheres).

I also liked these right out of the box, but I let them run continuously for four days; after 100 hours or so (I forget just when) yours should actually sound a lot better. And, (I think) Heinz also said it is possible to custom fit the headphones (headband), for those who wish to do so.
Concerning fit, though:
I ordered my demo pair purposely to arrive before a local headphone meet so several of us could try the new technology (and the MySpheres were universally liked). This is what I did; I found when getting new guys to try out the MySpheres it was good/best to unplug the cord from the headphones, open the wings/speakers, let them put the headphones on (over the top, and from behind), then I would adjust the up/down of the wings/speakers to a near optimum location and close them to about 30 degrees (? much of the way but not all the way), then I'd talk to the prospective listener for a few minutes about the headphones and what music they wanted to try, while they got used to the fit/feel of the "headband". After they listened and talked and fiddled for a few minutes they would get used to the fit/feel - then I'd plug in the headphone cable and let them listen to some music. The week I had the headphones I would also put on the headphones, sans cable, and wait a few minutes (wash the breakfast dishes, or something similar). Otherwise (the first few days) I thought as much about the fit as I did the music. Of course when it was time to send them back it was all "old hat", but for the most part wearing them for a few minutes before listening allowed for a better listening experience for me. Just my thoughts; YMMV!

Of course, let us know what you think in a week or two between the MySpheres and the other two options!

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #1,073 of 1,383
Just took out K1000 for the first time in a few months. All I can say is wow! For Schubert lieder it really is the best I've ever heard. Cheryl Studer could be standing in front of me.

Feb 14, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #1,075 of 1,383
Been Interested in these earspeakers for 2 years.
Have to save. Too bad they were not 3k rather than 4k, I think
I'd buy in a minute if they were 2995.00 or so. And so I wait.
True. Probably the same for me too. It's still in my longer term plans.

Feb 14, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #1,078 of 1,383
Planned is end of this month... End February 2020 ready to order...
Br heinz
FB_IMG_1581695567488.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back