My Windows XP is COMPLETELY fracked!
Mar 28, 2009 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

fraseyboy

Headphoneus Supremus
Well it all started when I decided to have a spontaneous LAN party. I was in some game (Unreal Tournament I think it was) when all of a sudden it froze up. I tried all the usual button combo's but to no avail. So I had no choice but to jam my finger on that button.

When I booted back into XP it was EXTREMELY slow on the loading screen. In fact, it didn't do anything. It hung on it forever until I got impatient and jammed the button again. It was a LAN party. There's no time for waiting at LAN parties.

So once again, I tried booting into XP. This time it got past the loading screen but it wished to chkdsk, so I let it. But even that failed. It got to 99% of stage 1 and froze for a long time. Once again I jammed my finger on the button.

When I finally DID get into XP, it was EXTREMELY slow. Like really slow. Really really slow. It took a long time to log in and when it finally did, it sat there doing nothing for a while. It got up to loading my firewall and a few other startup apps (took much longer than usual) then seemed to quit and do nothing. I couldn't click anything either. Maybe it would have loaded other things too. I didn't wait. I jammed my finger on the button.

So here I am in Ubuntu. Luckily a few of the typical LAN games work in Ubuntu under Wine so it wasn't a complete failure.

Anyone have any idea's why its so screwed up and how to fix it? Maybe something to do with the partition tables being corrupted or something?

Mar 28, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 73
Are you running Ubuntu off the same drive?

It sounds like my previous notebook where it was constantly fraking up and crashing. Booting was slow too. A couple of weeks later I got the click of death. Lucky for me I constantly back up my data.

Mar 28, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 73
It sounds like the hard drive is on it's last legs, I'd recommend backing up your most important data immediately. I've dealt with a notebook with a similar issue (all of a sudden it ran exceptionally slow) and swapping in a new hard drive brought it back to normal. Surprisingly the existing drive was less than 2 years old. It took an immense amount of time to get the data off the drive as it was running so slow.

Mar 28, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 73
I think everythings just being made crappier and crappier.
Soon everything will last 30 days and youll have to buy another one, with no warranty.

Mar 28, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #6 of 73
Apple, at a LAN party.. hehe

OP sounds like you got some corrupted files there, most likely a dodgy HD, tried using the XP disc to do a repair install? If not, you might have to reinstall from a backup if you have one.

Mar 28, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #7 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple

No problems in past 5 years.

Yeah because we all know hard drives and other components in Apple computers can never fail. Also you can play all the latest PC games on Apple computers within OSX.

Mar 28, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 73
Apple Mac gaming

20081017_zork_w.jpg

Try another hard drive, if you've got more than one HD in your computer go through each one checking them. One could be halting the system.

Mar 28, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #10 of 73
It's funny how people who complain about windows refuse to acknowledge that all macs in the past few years can boot into windows to play the latest games, if one wants to do so.

>shrug<

Whatever man. Keep on rocking microsoft, I just don't see why you stay with it if you realize what a bad O/S it is.

Mar 28, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #11 of 73
What has hardware failure got to do with the OS war?

If you want to discuss the virtues of Mac OSX vs Windows OS then you can start your own thread. But we are all here trying to help a fellow head-fi'er here, not make stupid witty comments.

Mar 28, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #13 of 73
Personally if it were me I would probably get tired of trying to troubleshoot the problem fairly quickly and end up doing a fresh format (probably with windows 7 beta
tongue.gif
), but that's just because I already have most of my stuff backed up and it wouldn't be a huge problem. For most people it's probably worth trying a lot of other stuff first, but it seems you can't even get into windows anyways.

Since you have an Ubuntu partition might it be possible to copy your important stuff from the windows partition to the ubuntu, then format just the windows part, and then move it all back over? I know this would be a pain and you couldn't save programs, but it might be a good option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apple Mac gaming

20081017_zork_w.jpg

I'm about as far as you can get from an Apple/Mac fan, but that's really not fair. For one the game that Fraseyboy was trying to play, Unreal Tournament, has a Mac release. And secondly most games run fairly well through boot camp.

Quote:

Whatever man. Keep on rocking microsoft, I just don't see why you stay with it if you realize what a bad O/S it is.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Not everyone is you, different people have different needs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What has hardware failure got to do with the OS war?

If you want to discuss the virtues of Mac OSX vs Windows OS then you can start your own thread. But we are all here trying to help a fellow head-fi'er here, not make stupid witty comments.

Exactly, QFT.

Mar 29, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #15 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you running Ubuntu off the same drive?

Yes. Running Ubuntu off the same drive. I have another drive I use for file storage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds like the hard drive is on it's last legs, I'd recommend backing up your most important data immediately. I've dealt with a notebook with a similar issue (all of a sudden it ran exceptionally slow) and swapping in a new hard drive brought it back to normal. Surprisingly the existing drive was less than 2 years old. It took an immense amount of time to get the data off the drive as it was running so slow.

How come it works completely fine in Ubuntu then? I think its something to do with just the Windows partition...

Quote:

Apple

No problems in past 5 years.

[size=xx-large]No.[/size]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do a CHKDSK. Depending on the size of your harddisk it will take some time though (hours)
With parameters CHKDSK [disk:] /p/r it will do a recover of the faulty areas.

I'll try that. It failed before but it might work if I leave it for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back