My Windows XP is COMPLETELY fracked!
Apr 3, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #62 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Silly user more like. Windows only comes with a few codecs, mp3, wav. No divx/xvid, H264 or mpeg-II.

I am aware of that. I have installed the necessary codecs but I am still having issues with playing and converting things.

Apr 3, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #65 of 73
Quote:

What have you installed? Hopefully not K-Lite pack..

Ewww.

Apr 3, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #66 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did that. I slipstreamed SP3. But it still wanted me to download like 30 updates. I also made it unattended and put various tweaks on it.

Anyway, now I'm having problems with codecs and whatnot... Silly windows.

Pfff. You are talking about downloading 30 versus 230. Trust me including SP3 makes a big difference in that context
wink.gif

BTW, you get 5 bonus points for knowing about that already
biggrin.gif
L3000.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am aware of that. I have installed the necessary codecs but I am still having issues with playing and converting things.

Precise details plz! kthxbye

Apr 3, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #67 of 73
Quote:

What have you installed? Hopefully not K-Lite pack..

Of course not. I did install a codec pack though. At least its a slightly better one... The Combined Community Codec Pack. It's pretty much FFDShow.

Apr 3, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #68 of 73
Why do people even use codec packs? IME they aren't a very good idea... I can think of about 10 reasons not to use them -- some from experience, some just from what I know about other "all-in-one solutions". Why are you using one and (as asked above) what precisely are you using it for? This will help us help you.

Just get the ones you need - Divx, Realplayer Alternative, etc. etc.

And heck, if you're looking at playback specifically, I highly recommend Meda Player Classic. Best player ever, period, and supports almost all files types from what I recall. It doesn't even require an install - it's just an EXE file. Following somewhat closely is VLC.

SourceForge.net: guliverkli - Media Player Classic
VLC media player - Overview

EDIT: And here's a bunch of other playback/recording utils from the people who make MPC--
http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=82303

Apr 3, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #69 of 73
Quote:

Why do people even use codec packs?

Because people are idiots. K-Lite install dozens of codecs which all do the same thing. I know CCCC is different and trimmed down.

Actually you don't need xvid or divx codecs :)

Apr 3, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #70 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do people even use codec packs? IME they aren't a very good idea... I can think of about 10 reasons not to use them -- some from experience, some just from what I know about other "all-in-one solutions". Why are you using one and (as asked above) what precisely are you using it for? This will help us help you.

Just get the ones you need - Divx, Realplayer Alternative, etc. etc.

And heck, if you're looking at playback specifically, I highly recommend Meda Player Classic. Best player ever, period, and supports almost all files types from what I recall. It doesn't even require an install - it's just an EXE file. Following somewhat closely is VLC.

SourceForge.net: guliverkli - Media Player Classic
VLC media player - Overview

EDIT: And here's a bunch of other playback/recording utils from the people who make MPC--
SourceForge.net: guliverkli: Files

I use VLC and Media Player Classic already. And Realplayer Alternative. I'm not really having problems with playback (except PowerDVD doesn't seem to want to play MKV files but VLC works fine for that), I'm having problems with conversion. I was trying to convert MP4 to WMV and whatever I did it just produced a blank file.

Apr 3, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #71 of 73
Hahahahah, awesome! Apparently DiVX, Realplayer Alternative, Bink+Smacker Tools, QuickTime and Shockwave players (I hate tracking these down for playing .swf files, BTW) aren't even needed. I couldn't find a full list of filetypes supported by Media Player Classic online, so I nicely compiled it manually for you: (EDIT looks like you already use this app. D'oh! Either way I am pleasantly surprised... I had no idea it supported some of the ones I mentioned directly above. Frickin' sweet. This is where a Readme.txt file comes in handy... :p)

aif
aifc
aiff
au
snd
wav
cda
drc
dsm
dsv
dsa
dss
ac3
dts
vob
ifo
d2v
flv
fli
flc
flic
ivf
mka
mkv
mid
midi
rmi
mp3
mpa
mp2
m1a
m2a
mpg
mpeg
mpe
m1v
m2v
mpv2
mp2v
dat
ts
tp
tpr
pva
pss
m4a
aac
mp4
m4v
m4p
m4b
3gp
3gpp
3g2
3gp2
mpc
ogm
ogg
divx
vp6
asx
m3u
pls
wvx
wax
wmx
mpcpl
mov
qt
amr
ratdvd
ra
rm
ram
rmvb
rpm
rt
rp
smi
smil
roq
swf
smk
bik
avi
wma
wmv
wmp
wm
asf

Apr 3, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #72 of 73
I'm pretty sure you need codecs for MPC to play the file. For example when I play a .avi file ffdshow icon appears in task bar. I'm pretty sure if I uninstall ffdshow and try to play the same file I'll get no video.

Apr 4, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #73 of 73
MPC cinema has internal dshow filters so you don't have to install other direct show filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back