My thoughts on the new sennheiser 595
Mar 12, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #241 of 258
gsferrari, could you please comment on the 595s unamped sound and compare them to the "unamped king", Grado (or whatever comes to mind)?
I really, really want to like mine .. as soon as they arrive.. which will hopefully be next week *sigh*

-Taurui

Mar 12, 2004 at 1:06 AM Post #242 of 258
Obviously, this thread isn't about HD280. But, since you are talking about Unamped Kings, can you tell me something?

I was auditioning three phones, AKG K240 studio, Sony 7506 classic studio and HD280pro. It was hooked up to the TASCAM rackmount cd player. All I have to say that the hp's were breathtaking, they had a power to them that told me that all commercial audio had NO MIDRANGE, the power and cleanliness was miraculous.
Question, do you think this rackmount (standalone) was using a high volt jack? The power seemed incredible, full and lively sound. I might want thd hd595 over the hd580, something inbetween Upfront sound of hd280 and distant sound of hd580.
Also the AKG 600 ohm phone was only slightly less loud than the other 2, I wonder if this rackmount was amped well or not. OR if these phones simply benefit with NO AMP in the first place.

Mar 12, 2004 at 1:16 AM Post #243 of 258
Well, your impression might come from:

- The AKG 240S really need an amp to sound good. Also, could it be you were auditioning the 240M? The studio headphones have an impedance of 55 ohm.

- The Sony 7506 sucks.

- The HD280 is famous for it being detailed and having a very good unamped sound.

Now please back to topic. If my opinion sucks or you didn't find your question being answered thoroughly, open a new thread.
This one has enough spammage already, I just want infos about the new Sennheiser phones. Thank you.

-Taurui

Mar 12, 2004 at 1:22 AM Post #244 of 258
Update :-
======

the grainy sound is probably due to my source. I wouldnt jump to a conclusion right now. These headphones are probably complimented by good sources and amps - if you have a portable system and want to introduce this headphone into the circle -it will sound good but you wont be too impressed.

This headphone CANNOT perform without an amp. It works but it sounds very thin and feeble on the Bass and midrange. It doesnt work well with the MG Head amplifier...not enough slam - the HD-580 had better SLAM and I am regretting the decision to sell those...maybe its time for the HD-650
tongue.gif

I'll post a more detailed report once I get my source (tomorrow perhaps) and the Headroom MAX, Grace Design 901...That will be the best test for the cans...

The HD-595 is a fairly open and spacious sounding headphone. The Soundstage is precise without being too far wide open. Like all sennheiser headphones it is fairly high impedance so the driver doesnt move around as much as the grados...less air is moved in the operation which is the reason for the "distant" sound of the older senns...this one is a little better.

The mids tend to sound a little hollow...like listening to a song through a pvc pipe about 5 feet long...a wind instrument like sound...could be my source...

Aah! All this is moot without evaluating the headphone in a good system set-up.

Friends - dont make any hasty decisions - wait for the detailed report before you decide FOR or AGAINST the headphones.

the problem with audio is - when you hear something really good, even something slightly less impressive sounds like crap...

cheers!!

Mar 12, 2004 at 2:51 AM Post #245 of 258
Taurui --

I'll really be looking forward to your impressions. A comparison with the CD780s will make a nice benchmark for me personally and will offer another point of view from which to review these (rather than as compared to the older Senns). I truly hope you like them better than the CD780s (though I do love my CD780s!) -- that will give me something new to look forward to in the headphone world. I hope you'll give us detailed impressions.
smily_headphones1.gif

On a related note, as the early reviews are starting to come in, it seems perhaps the HD555 sound might be more to some people's tastes than the HD595 sound... it'll be interesting to see how that shakes out.

Quote:

Originally posted by Taurui
gsferrari, could you please comment on the 595s unamped sound and compare them to the "unamped king", Grado (or whatever comes to mind)?
I really, really want to like mine .. as soon as they arrive.. which will hopefully be next week *sigh*-Taurui

Mar 12, 2004 at 2:57 AM Post #246 of 258
I dont think the 555 are different from the 595 at all. The 595 is just better made, leather headband, chrome ring around the grill and stuff like that...

The sound should be about the same save for the psychological influence of the knowledge that the 555 is cheaper and should therefore sound worse
tongue.gif

These are good headphones - no doubt just not worth $250.00 IMHO

Mar 12, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #247 of 258
Quote:

Originally posted by gsferrari

the problem with audio is - when you hear something really good, even something slightly less impressive sounds like crap...

Amen
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2004 at 5:45 AM Post #249 of 258
From the looks of gsferrari's review, he's implying that the HD595s are "open, spacious" sounding - but they're also more finicky with amps and sources. Crappy sources and crap amps will bring out the worst in those 595s, despite being "easier" to drive than the 580s. The 580s are more forgiving, despite their lower efficiency.

Mar 12, 2004 at 5:50 AM Post #250 of 258
Its a different kind of "spaciousness"

The 580 seems to have a more frontal presentation...sounds coming from far in front. This is not true of the HD-595 which seems more "correct" sounding...I dont have the 580 with me and its not safe to talk from memory
wink.gif

For me the openness has a lot to do with how the headphones feels as well. I cannot for the life of me tell (after say 20 minutes) that the headphones are on my head - in this case my brain is telling me that the sound is coming from wherever it REALLY should be coming...

If I could feel the headphones then I would know that its not really a true spaciousness...its purely psychological for me...the 595's are feather like on the head

Mar 12, 2004 at 9:08 AM Post #251 of 258
Looks like you're half-right or maybe 3/4 right. Headroom just put of a bunch of new FR graphs in the headroom forum of head-fi, to include the HD555 and the HD595.

The FR curves are pretty similar, though if you take it at face value the the HD555 will have a little more mid-bass, a little less bass extension, and a shade more midrange but a shade less high frequency content. This could correspond to the extra warmth people seem to be hearing in the HD555. Or I could be over-reaching. Take your pick, I dunno.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by gsferrari
I dont think the 555 are different from the 595 at all. The 595 is just better made, leather headband, chrome ring around the grill and stuff like that...

The sound should be about the same save for the psychological influence of the knowledge that the 555 is cheaper and should therefore sound worse
tongue.gif

Mar 12, 2004 at 11:41 AM Post #252 of 258
Here are some general impressions of HD555 after about 40 hours of burn in. Equipment used is MG Head OTL amp, with an onkyo cd player and MSB Link II DAC, with magwires cables.

midrange: This is the strength of the cans imo. The midrange sounds pretty neutral to me, with a slight bit of grain. In comparison to the HD580, the upper midrange is lifted and sounds a lot more forward. The lower midrange is not as warm but still has a lush character. This headphone does very well with vocals.

Bass: The bass sounds pretty neutral to me. I don't detect a bass hump like the HD580. The bass sounds tight, punchy, fast, without any boom or overwhelming the rest of the music. I'm pretty satisfied with the bass.

Highs: similar to the HD580, maybe a little more prominent. But still have that recessed, rolled off character.

Soundstage: This is the weak point of the cans. The soundstage sounds noticably narrower and instruments can tend to sound jumbled. Soundstage depth doesn't sound like its reproduced properly. I'll need to do more listening here.

Overall I'm satisfied with their performance. For $150 I think they are a great deal. They do some things better than HD580 but some things worse too. HD555's are more forward, exciting cans but can sound grainy and lose soundstage detail. HD580's are more refined, smoother, but more laid back. I think the HD580's are better for jazz, classical, and acoustic, but the HD555 is better for anything else. If I had to pick one phone I'd probably take the HD555.

Gsferrari I'm sorry you don't like the HD595
frown.gif
. Maybe you should get the 555 instead? $100 less, and sound very similar, at least from what Jan Meier said.

Mar 12, 2004 at 2:32 PM Post #253 of 258
Quote:

Soundstage: This is the weak point of the cans. The soundstage sounds noticably narrower and instruments can tend to sound jumbled. Soundstage depth doesn't sound like its reproduced properly. I'll need to do more listening here.

I hope some others will chime in about this, since soundstage seems to be one of the big marketing points of this phone, with the angled drivers and all. It would be a major factor in my buying them.

Mar 12, 2004 at 3:27 PM Post #255 of 258
I just received the Old Groovalizer, the DT531 and so far I love them, I really love everything about them and I want to have kids with them.
The Senns will have to really excel, given that they're twice the price.
I really look forward to them, but this will be a tough battle
smily_headphones1.gif

-Taurui

Users who are viewing this thread

Back