My thoughts on the new sennheiser 595
Mar 11, 2004 at 7:40 AM Post #226 of 258
i'm confused about how you all seem to see some sort of green tint in the pics of the 595's???
i am looking at many pictures of the HD650 and W1000 from the Internet, and they are both accurate in color on my computer screen...very accurate...they exactly like they do in person. to me, all i see on the 595's is a silver maybe even a little tint of gold. i even messed around with the color calibration and not only did it distort the pics of the W1000's and HD650's, but it never turned up anything even remotely close to green on the 595's...unless i adjusted the tint towards green.
LOU, do the 595's have a greenish tint at all??? also, one of the pics someone attached to a post (i think an official Senn 595 picture from their website) wasn't in the least bit greenish in tint at all. it looks silver to me.

i think maybe the bright red background in gsferrari's pics have something to do with why some of you are seeing a greenish tint.

i just looked up all the possible pics with a google search, of the 595's and none of them show a greenish tint.

so what's up? what is the real color of these otherwise beautiful Senns?

Mar 11, 2004 at 7:45 AM Post #227 of 258
zeplin: Don't wonder - that very slight greenish tint is there even in reality.
wink.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Mar 11, 2004 at 7:54 AM Post #228 of 258
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
These are without a doubt the very best headphones that I have ever owned. And this is right out of the box.

ROTFLMAO. LOU!!! Man, I've missed you. Welcome back.

Mar 11, 2004 at 7:54 AM Post #229 of 258
Quote:

Originally posted by zeplin
i think maybe the bright red background in gsferrari's pics have something to do with why some of you are seeing a greenish tint.

I believe it's auto white balance of the digital camera. With red background covering like 80% of the screen, the camera would think the light source is too red and try to compensate by shifting color to green side.

Mar 11, 2004 at 7:55 AM Post #230 of 258
I agree. Our minds are so used to something, whenever something is NEW excitement takes over. I really hope that these phones are better, cause better is good if its in the same price brackets.
I really want to know which holds more "analytical" detail and also warmth so important to piano.
I want hd580 or hd555/595. Bang for the buck.

LTUCC I thank you very much for placing this mini 1st impression, regardless what i said. I have been searching long andhard for this. I really appreciate it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by gsferrari

You should be a little cautious before you evaluate headphones...wait till they burn in and wait till your ears get used to them.

No offense but - first impressions posts should be avoided. I can understand the excitement over a new purchase but lets be realistic here. I am as excited as you are....and I havent even received them yet
tongue.gif

Mar 11, 2004 at 8:03 AM Post #231 of 258
lini,
thanx for the clarification. WOW, so it is really a greenish tint! is it as hard to see in person as it is on a picture over the Internet? i find that kind of weird that Senn would throw in colors let alone a greenish color with their headphone design. with the exception of the HD600, most Senns, if not all are either grey, black, or silver. i guess trying something new isn't all that bad. if they are truely greenish in tint, i think i would like that...along with the different signature sound (according to LOU), the greenish tint is a welcomed change. gives them a little more life, imo.

Mar 11, 2004 at 8:13 AM Post #232 of 258
Please if someone can pretty please!
Test some music by
Bach: toccata and Fugue. the lower bass on the organs and the intensity puts most equipment to shame.
Test acoustic guitar, piano
Rock.

I want to know how they stack up for classical music. And i want to know if these hd555/595 is as articulate without being too dry.
I need studio quality linear sound

Thanks!
600smile.gif

Mar 11, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #233 of 258
Yes, I am almost in the club, my 595s are coming in the mail form JandR

lol, just bought SR-60 last week as my first pair of good headphones, one week later I already had a up-grade that consists of a amp and HD-595
rolleyes.gif

Mar 11, 2004 at 6:25 PM Post #234 of 258
Quote:

Originally posted by jerry1130
Yes, I am almost in the club, my 595s are coming in the mail form JandR

lol, just bought SR-60 last week as my first pair of good headphones, one week later I already had a up-grade that consists of a amp and HD-595
rolleyes.gif

And watch your wallet get thinner by the minute
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 11, 2004 at 6:25 PM Post #235 of 258
Quote:

Originally posted by vrao81
HD555's are in the house!!

Build quality is excellent and the box looks awesome. Straight out of the box they sounded dark and closed in. After about 5 hours of burn in, these sound GREAT! They are fast, lively, exciting, forward, open, clear, yet warm and lush. They retain all the benefits of the Senn HD580 without the laid back, veiled sound of those cans. In fact switching back to the HD580 I am surprised at how dull and boring those cans are! Now I hear the veil that everyone keeps talking about
tongue.gif
. HD555's are totally in a different league. I am using an MG Head OTL and the synergy between the two is AWESOME!

I will let them burn in more before I post detailed impressions. But initial impressions are very favorable. I think this will be the best headphone purchase I've ever made.
biggrin.gif

Vrao! I find you here too! yay!!
Damned 3dss forum members get around
mad.gif
lol
biggrin.gif

Please tell us the detail in sound quality, can it be considered for studio work, does it have a balanced presenatation for bass punch/tightness with some boom.

ALL USERS
What is the weakness of the hd555 compared to hd580? Does hd580 have something that the hd555 doesn't? thanks pal!

Mar 11, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #236 of 258
Ok I think 80 hours of break in is enough...for now
tongue.gif

So far here are some comments :-
=======================

1] Comfort
---------------

these are very light headphones...you wont notice them on your head. the headband is uber luxurious...leather/imitation leather is plush and classy looking. The earpieces fit around the ear well and are closer to the ear than the HD-580 which is a good thing. These headphones are VERY light against the head...they dont apply pressure like the HD-580/600...If you leave them on your head the chances are that you will forget they are there...fantastic for comfort and long hours of listening.

2] Design
--------------

The cable looks thicker but that doesnt necessarily mean that its better than the older Senn cables. The left earpiece receives the cable and I like this one sided arrangement. the cable terminates in a 1/4" plug which is great if you have a decent amplifier...the 1/4 - 1/8 convertor is also well designed but its like trying to attach a mint amp TO the cables and not the other way around
eek.gif

The angled drivers have a nice effect...brings you closer to the sound to almost Grado levels...gone are the old senn imaging quirks...you are part of the music now...not a distant observer or a fan who sits outside the hall because he coundnt get tickets to go into the concert
tongue.gif

LOTS of plastic...this headphone is almost 90% plastic...makes it light but doesnt give it a durable feel...its not bad...but not as solid to the touch as say the HD-600 etc.

3] Sound :-
----------------

not my kind of headphone...maybe its the source and maybe its the amp so I wont be harsh in my judgement yet. I am waiting on a source and a half decent to excellent amp (both arriving sometime next week) but so far the sound has been uninvolving with thin lifeless bass and overemphasized mids and treble. Its likeable but not loveable
rolleyes.gif

There is NOTICEABLE lack of resolution in the sound compared to the HD-580/600/650 - this is a virtue of articulation or fluidity of the sound. The notes in the other senns seem to FLOW independant of each other...here, with the HD-595 they seem strung together...I dont like it this way...

Graininess is rather obvious if you have listened to higher end Grados and Senn 580/600/650 (which are still better than this headphone as far as current performance affords me to judge).

I will evaluate the headphones once again with the better source/amp combo - I am sure it will improve by leaps and bounds...hmmm...it has to or else its going on the chopping block for sale
very_evil_smiley.gif

But all that said - these are by far the most comfortable pair of headphones my head has had the previlege of wearing
cool.gif

These are above average headphones...probably not worth $250.00 to me but they may be worth more to some
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #237 of 258
Gsferrari, that (UBER vocabulary) just set me off, the whole time reading your reviews, I could only hear Dr. Evil in my head describing those Sennheisers
biggrin.gif

I appreciate this review. So you playing these HP's with those Mint amp, or Cmoy? I presume I must have an amp then, I really want something that has detail but space in its presenation, but in the front row. I hope with the amp it changes matters.

Mar 12, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #238 of 258
Well, we waited. And here we are. With this review. This tide turning, upset in the 9th inning review !
smily_headphones1.gif
Good one though. So gs, what I'm wondering is, would you relate the grany ness and the lack of resolution/fluidity to the new models "up front" characteristics ? Also, what cans would you put them on par with for comparisons sake ? Looking foward to the second review.

EDIT: OH...AND DIBBS ON THE CANS IF YOU PUT THEM ON THE "CHOPPING BLOCK !!!"

Mar 12, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #239 of 258
Mine have arrived in Tulsa, gotta pick them up from the post office in the morning, dang missed deliveries. Well, from what GS describes mine may very well be for sale as well, but let's not look to far ahead. I will say, if I am not impressed, they will be fore sale, just as quick as they were bought. I will post initial impressions tomorrow and follow up as burn in comes around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back