My Sony MDR-V6 review (EXTREMELY long!)
Feb 10, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #31 of 42
I don't mean to be contrary, --but it sounds like you reviewed any one of the large number of Chinese knock-offs of this extremely popular & well received headphone.  
This is probably one of the most counterfeited headphones of all time.  It is rampant!
As you know, -Consumer Reports check rated the MDR-V6 model in the late '90's.  That's when I was 1st exposed and I tested the phones in a very high-end audio store against others costing upwards to $300.  After owning dozens of phones previously, --the V6's got my vote that day in the store even though I could have easily afforded more pricey models.  In the early 21st century, my headphones got soaked with cola (long story) -- so I ordered another pair from E-bay and they sounded horrible.  It turned out that they were very authentic looking  Chinese knock-offs.  
After reordering from a vendor in NYC, --I got the real-deal back and I've got to tell you: The Chinese knockoffs sound like you describe (and I still have them).  The Sony's, on the other hand exhibit none of the harshness you described.  To date, --I have exchanged dialog with a large number of people who have been the victims of this rampant counterfeiting.  This model headphone is knocked off so much that there is even an eBay forum for catching the fakes!  
So ... with all due respect: Please test the genuine mccoy sometime.  
From my experience and the evidence I have on hand: I am absolutely positive that your review was of a knock-off pair of phones.  The real-deals sound waaaay too good to get such a poor rating.

Good day.

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #32 of 42
You do realize you are responding to a post that is from 2002... That dude is long gone. 
tongue.gif

Feb 10, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #33 of 42
Quote:
After reading your review, I immediately want to try a pair of Grado SR80 and see how it stands against my Sony MDR-7506.

I have great interest in the grados and I have to agree with you that the Sony is in fact not too dynamic.

Anyway, it was a great review, I agree with you to a certain degree because there are still many things that other people can see (including you) in the sony's that I've yet to experience myself.

Let me know how the Grado's do against the 7506s. So far, I have put them (7506s) against some of the more common closed headphones in the $200 range and I prefer the 7506s.

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #34 of 42
I thought he described them pretty well. They are pretty harsh to me.

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #35 of 42
you dont mind if i link this review to a video? if i ever get the chance to upload that video of course!

i will be happy to credit you as well!

Jun 13, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #36 of 42
  I don't mean to be contrary, --but it sounds like you reviewed any one of the large number of Chinese knock-offs of this extremely popular & well received headphone.  
This is probably one of the most counterfeited headphones of all time.  It is rampant!
As you know, -Consumer Reports check rated the MDR-V6 model in the late '90's.  That's when I was 1st exposed and I tested the phones in a very high-end audio store against others costing upwards to $300.  After owning dozens of phones previously, --the V6's got my vote that day in the store even though I could have easily afforded more pricey models.  In the early 21st century, my headphones got soaked with cola (long story) -- so I ordered another pair from E-bay and they sounded horrible.  It turned out that they were very authentic looking  Chinese knock-offs.  
After reordering from a vendor in NYC, --I got the real-deal back and I've got to tell you: The Chinese knockoffs sound like you describe (and I still have them).  The Sony's, on the other hand exhibit none of the harshness you described.  To date, --I have exchanged dialog with a large number of people who have been the victims of this rampant counterfeiting.  This model headphone is knocked off so much that there is even an eBay forum for catching the fakes!  
So ... with all due respect: Please test the genuine mccoy sometime.  
From my experience and the evidence I have on hand: I am absolutely positive that your review was of a knock-off pair of phones.  The real-deals sound waaaay too good to get such a poor rating.

Sorry for the revival, but I found this on google and feel like I need to contribute a reply to this...

I call some sort of BS. I have a genuine pair of MDR V6s (verified) and they sound just like in the review, with a few minor opinion differences. The high-mids shrill, to the point of fatigue after just under an hour. The sub bass is barely there in my opinion. The bass is there, and it is generally controlled, but above like 110hz-ish I feel it just is non existent and does not pack any punch.

When dealing with one instrument, you get a good amount clarity but once the mix starts getting populated, its crap. There is pretty much no ZERO soundstage. It focuses way too much on the high end (10k ish), so when I mix songs, I will get them to sound good in the V6's, but on other systems the is hardly any high end, go figure.

However plenty of reviews find it not durable, bad cable, bad pads, bad drivers. Ive had the opposite experience. Owned them for almost 2.5 years now, I dont take them out much but I do use them when I sweat, and treat them rough and have had no problems with the durability yet. I find them good for monitoring, for recording sessions and such, or for listening to small details in single instruments that dont require much low end or low-mids at all. Beyond that, I honestly dont have too much use for them. For $99, I wouldnt buy them again, but I cant say that I am mad at all. They will serve their purpose until they croak. 

It all boils down to opinion. Your opinion on the v6's is different than OPs, or mine. etc.

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #37 of 42
i know this is old, but would you mind doing this test with a pair of ath m50s? I am questioning the sound integrity of mine. I paid 65 , but feel like they are very clearly worth it. I want to see how you address their high and low points.

Aug 21, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #38 of 42
Im just wondering why the review of these seems to be so harsh, as they have been used for years in studios, and on radio, mixing, sound editing, etc. it seems very strange that such a commonly used headphone can have so much sibilance and sharpness?

Aug 28, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #39 of 42
I do hope i didn't get one of the knock offs either..

I purchased my headphones on amazon about 2 years ago.. At the time it was about 68 dollars.. 

This review seems to me very accurate as my headphones suffer from alot of sibilance and shrill highs.. 

Is there anyway to confirm that the headphones are genuine? 

Jan 11, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #41 of 42
Hello gloom. I realize this thread is very old but I could not help it. I believe you may have been too accustomed to the 'Sennheiser Sound' before listening to your Sony MDR-V6's. I may be incorrect but I want readers who stumble upon this review to consider this. I've had a few Sennheisers way back and I never liked them at all because of their particular sound signature and veil that you get with them. In other words, every Sennheiser I had (the HD580 included) sounded horrible and muffled to me. Many people have different opinions I know but every headphone I tried after going through my Sennheiser period sounded exactly as you described the Sony MDR-V6's to sound...and that is what happens when your ears are accustomed to a particular type of sound signature. It seemed as if my hearing was permanently ruined by Sennheiser until a couple of months rolled by then it got better. Mainly by listening to different headphones...mostly Audio-Technica and Sony.

I listened to each of the songs you included in your review (using very good equipment & sources) and I found them to be beautiful to my ears on my own MDR-V6's. To each his own – and every pair of ears are different, I know, but I intend readers who are researching a potential headphone purchase to consider this.

Apr 5, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #42 of 42
Testing a legit Sony MDRV6 right now. First thing is yes they sound very neutral in the midrange, similar to a DT770 but with more presence. I would even say a bit more detailed. It's more in your face. Midrange is so important. Emotion lives there. But they definitely don't have the same frequencies extention in the lows. Also less soundstage but I am not sure if that could be corrected with different pads. One thing that have surprised me is that they eat big power extremely well. They actually sound better out of my Lyr2 on HIGH OUTPUT. How cool is that. I thought I would use them with my smaller amp. Those are hungry little guys. One other thing I prefer outside of the neutrality in the midrange is that roundness and articulation. They just seem to deliver a muscular punch with ease and also there is a bit more sparkle with electric guitar. That being said, I would still consider them slightly behind the DT770 because of that limited sound range, and because on all those aspect discussed, the DT770 is very close or on par. Comfort I also give an edge to the DT770. Pillows against the ears while the Sony is a little fatiguing.

But with more soundstage and better extention, I would place them directly above the DT770. It is that simple.

I need to hear a CD900st now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back