My six-year-old daughter flawlessly passed a blind test between a silver-plated wire and a copper one
Nov 28, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #107 of 424
Come on, man, relax. I guess the other user is speaking in general or impersonal.

Really, some people see ghosts everywhere.
Ole’
Correct, of course yes. No trolls here. having thought about it is symptomatic. It is an indication of how little consideration one has of the experiences of others. And then the Trolls are brought into play. Hai Hai: I am a real person, who has experienced a lot, and who feels (like my daughter and the daughters of others) the difference between cables. And I want to add that I also hear the difference between the cartridges (I'm a convinced analogist) between the DACs, between the amplifiers and so on. I would be lying if I said otherwise or if I said it was suggestion. It is not. And, as I said in the tread, I am absolutely aware that it depends on measurable and quantifiable physical and electrical parameters. But what does it matter? These parameters do not influence what I choose as "best" for me (Imho-imho as I never tire of repeating to those who don't want to hear). Having said this, I do not allow myself to judge those who think differently and those who believe that an electric wire carries the signal exactly like a specific cable, without difference, or that a car of a certain type is the same as another because it takes us from point A to point B. De gustibus non disputandum est, it was said and still is said in Rome - Italy - (I don't know how it is translated in Spain).

Nov 28, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #108 of 424
Whatever you like is fine for you, but here in sound science, we talk about fidelity. What you like isn't measurable. Sound fidelity is. What you like doesn't apply to anyone else. Sound fidelity does.

Nov 28, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #110 of 424
Whatever you like is fine for you, but here in sound science, we talk about fidelity. What you like isn't measurable. Sound fidelity is. What you like doesn't apply to anyone else. Sound fidelity does.

exactly what I said at the beginning of the thread. This is not the right place to talk about sensations and listening experience. It is no coincidence that I mentioned an art or philosophy forum in my previous posts. We talk about different things. In my heyday the discussion was between "he who listens" and "he who measures" and no one ever got to the bottom of it.

How can you compare driving a Ferrari to a smart car with cables made from different materials that can only deliver a signal irrespective of what metal is used?
in fact there is no difference. Both cars take me from point A to point B. As both cables carry the signal from A to B. no difference. Whoever sees them (the differences) is dreaming: it is an illusion.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #111 of 424
That doesn't have anything to do with the wire, DAC, amp or headphones. It has to do with you. A lot of high end audio reviews do refer to this kind of stuff though. I call those "Solipsistic Reviewers". Their reviews only apply to one person at one particular point in time. It's not really necessary to even post them for other people to read.

This is one of the funniest posts I've ever read on this forum. Pure delusional arrogance.

Nov 28, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #112 of 424
For a long time I did not believe cables changed the sound. Then I bought a really cheap third party cable and it made everything sound terrible. I do believe cables have an influence on the sound just as adapters have.

Nov 28, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #115 of 424
It's perfectly possible for poorly manufactured or designed cables to degrade sound. It's just that a $1000 fancy schmancy cable that is properly made and designed isn't going to sound any better than an Amazons Basics one.

Nov 28, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #116 of 424
Cables would make no difference if they were superconductors.

The point was you had to buy a cheap nasty cable to observe a difference.

Do you hear a difference between two good quality cables of reputable brand ?

I certainly don't, I wish I did as it would justify my obsession to have nice looking 'upgrade' cables on everything.

Nov 28, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #117 of 424
One of the reasons audiophiles tend to spend money on things that make no difference is what I call the "just in case" syndrome. "I can't hear any difference between lossless or high data rate lossy, but I'll only use lossy just in case." "I've never heard a difference between cables, but I spent so much on my DAC, I think I should have expensive cables too just in case." "There's nothing in the measurements of this DAC to make me think there is any chance of hearing an improvement, but it does have a noise floor that is -5dB lower than the other brand, so I'll get it just in case." They double down on everything knowing full well there aren't any benefits for doing so.

A related tendency is due to OCD. These people ramp it up incrementally. "I know I don't hear frequencies above 20kHz, but maybe I might be missing something important if my headphones don't go up to 30kHz." "Now that I have headphones that go up to 30kHz, I really should have 24/96 HD audio to listen to that goes up that high." "Perhaps I'm missing something in the sound. I'd feel better with 32/192 ." Doubts and worry make the goalposts creep upwards.

If you have a basic idea of how audio works, you know where the dividing line lies and you don't have to worry or double down just in case.

LisaShayBrown's doppelgänger just made an appearance!

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #118 of 424
How can you compare driving a Ferrari to a smart car with cables made from different materials that can only deliver a signal irrespective of what metal is used?
I know, I was rolling in laughter after reading that one!

Nov 28, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #120 of 424
I also have a problem with the way the title is worded. Other titles could include:

My six-year-old daughter flawlessly passed a Rorschach test.

My six-year-old daughter flawlessly pulled out the ace of spades after the magician asked her to pick a card, any card, then shuffled the deck, and asked her to draw from the top.

My six-year-old daughter flawlessly wrote a story about the adventures of a Bumble Bee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back