My review of Audio Technica ATH-CK9 and ATH-CK10
Nov 4, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #61 of 76
Where can I get a good deal on these?
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #62 of 76
I am also looking for a place that I can buy the CK10s from. Currently keenzo.com is the cheapest but I haven't heard back from audio technica about their warranty policy if I purchase it from keenzo. Anyone have experience buying these in the US? The warranty is kind of important since it is ~200 dollars to replace them.

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #63 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, I just sold my Denon C710. I would listen to the CK10 instead so might as well sell the Denon's. Very nice with foams, either Comply's or homemade from Hearos Xtreme plugs.

A bit of clarification on the build of the CK10. The housing is stainless steel with a rubber covering. Think of of stainless steel auto rim and a tire mounted on it. A plastic disc is fused to the Rubber covering. The only plastic is the back piece.

Just wanted to confirm that the CK10's are compatible with the Comply T-400 foam tips. The wibsite says their compatible with the CK1 and CK7, but the CK10 is not mentioned, so I just wanted to make sure before buying them.

Nov 5, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #64 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by C E Jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wanted to confirm that the CK10's are compatible with the Comply T-400 foam tips. The wibsite says their compatible with the CK1 and CK7, but the CK10 is not mentioned, so I just wanted to make sure before buying them.

I'm pretty sure the T-400 is too big. I would think the T-200 would be better.

Nov 6, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #66 of 76
I have the PFE right now and ponder a few questions :

How is the CK10 with the bass?
When I wear my PFE with the right tips(Shure black foam atm), I can really feel the texture of the music, and the bass impact. The quality is there, but not overpowering, so not really something for the full on basshead. I like impact, texture and tightness, but no bloat.

How is the CK10 with immersion?
When I wear my PFE it's like I become one with the music. The world disappears and I stop thinking and just start feeling. It's almost like daydreaming. A very peaceful state to be in.

How revealing are the CK10s? I have some vocal recordings with low bitrate(128k <) and I don't want them to sound worse than necessary.

Build quality:
Huge selling point for me. My PFE are, from my perspective, not tough enough to handle my day to day life and have already almost completely broken apart. The housing and the cable connected to the housing are the two main points.
Can you give your thoughts on how well the cable is connected to the housing, and the materials the housing is made of?
You mentioned that strain relief might be a problem. Could you elaborate a bit on that?

Lastly I wonder if there is any area where you find the PFE to excell or be equal to the CK10.

Nov 6, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #67 of 76
It will do everything that the PFE can do but better, unless you don't like the sound signature. Though I don't know how forgiving it is when it comes to low bitrate. More bass, very good detail, clarity, build quality.

Nov 6, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #69 of 76
Actually, I went from the PFE to the CK10. It was a small upgrade but worthwhile. Treble is very similar with both, but the CK10 has lusher mids, while the PFE's mids are more expansive. The bass on the CK10 is a little more weighty (a little less than black filters though), and they both reach very low. Soundstage is definitely better on the CK10, the PFE felt a little too small for me.

Of course with build quality, the CK10 blows everything away. Very nicely built ; )

Nov 6, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #70 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrashingshrimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I went from the PFE to the CK10. It was a small upgrade but worthwhile. Treble is very similar with both, but the CK10 has lusher mids, while the PFE's mids are more expansive. The bass on the CK10 is a little more weighty (a little less than black filters though), and they both reach very low. Soundstage is definitely better on the CK10, the PFE felt a little too small for me.

Of course with build quality, the CK10 blows everything away. Very nicely built ; )

I'm not sure what your conclusion is about the midrange. Are you saying that the mids are taking up more of the sound on the PFE than on the CK10, more intruding?
I don't really know if I understand what the word lush means, even after reading the definition of it. I think it's hard to understand it because I don't know what the opposite of lush is.

1·· full of juice.
"Lush fruits."
"Succulent roast beef."
2·· produced or growing in extreme abundance.
"Their riotous blooming."
3·· characterized by extravagance and profusion.
"A lavish buffet."
"A lucullan feast."

Lush - Very Rich/Full.

Lush (2) - A "lush" sound has a sense of warmth and fullness. Notes are more authoritative and have a sense of life about them. It is a sound free of any sibilance or brightness. It does not mean colored, however. It is an open and inviting sound enveloping the listener into its soundstage. (source: unkown headfier)

Is it sort of like a grandness to it where you really feel the texture of every instrument and music, and that each sound firmly imprints its presence and impact on you?

Getting way off course here...

I appreciate all feedback
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #71 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cipher7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the CK100 the next level above CK10?

Yes, to my ears anyway, and quite a big step forward.
After listening to the CK100s, CK10 sound thin, and also loses in the bass department. I remember Ck10s being slightly brighter than Ck100, as Ck100 is more of a mid-oriented earphones than highs.

CK100 is very transparent and airy, but also rich and smooth at the same time. Soundstage is deep and wide, creates a very natural listening experience. I wouldn't say they're the most immersive headphones though, as my IE8s do better in that regard.

Overall, to me, CK100 is the best universal IEMs.

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #72 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruXx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure what your conclusion is about the midrange. Are you saying that the mids are taking up more of the sound on the PFE than on the CK10, more intruding?
I don't really know if I understand what the word lush means, even after reading the definition of it. I think it's hard to understand it because I don't know what the opposite of lush is.

1·· full of juice.
"Lush fruits."
"Succulent roast beef."
2·· produced or growing in extreme abundance.
"Their riotous blooming."
3·· characterized by extravagance and profusion.
"A lavish buffet."
"A lucullan feast."

Lush - Very Rich/Full.

Lush (2) - A "lush" sound has a sense of warmth and fullness. Notes are more authoritative and have a sense of life about them. It is a sound free of any sibilance or brightness. It does not mean colored, however. It is an open and inviting sound enveloping the listener into its soundstage. (source: unkown headfier)

Is it sort of like a grandness to it where you really feel the texture of every instrument and music, and that each sound firmly imprints its presence and impact on you?

Getting way off course here...

I appreciate all feedback
smily_headphones1.gif

You got the gist of it. I felt the mids on the PFE to be a bit thin, but at least it had excellent instrument seperation and felt a bit wider, dunno why. The CK10's mids felt a little bit closer inside my head, but everything wasn't as thin. Vocals had a little more authority, guitars had more oomph in their sound. And they aren't so forward and peaky as the PFE as well.

Please note, the black filters are a different story.

Nov 7, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #73 of 76
It really sounds like the CK10 is the big brother of the PFE. Their audio signatures seem to be very compatible, and I do like my PFEs ^^.

Sound signature wise, it doesn't seem to me like it's worth the 60$ bonus over the PFE.
But when you count in the build quality, the value increases tenfold compared to it and is very much a great bang for your buck.

I was reading some impressions on the CK100, and although it is very tempting, the price is way out of my league.

The only other thing that I could possibly consider now is the UM3X, but that's for another thread :p

Nov 18, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #74 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrashingshrimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure the T-400 is too big. I would think the T-200 would be better.

Thanks Thrashingshrimp. Are you positive these will fit the CK10's, as they're not explicitly listed as compatible with these either? Are there any other foams anyone would recommend? Just want to be sure I buy the right ones. These phones sound amazing, by the way. Much better than the Shure SE210's I had to replace because the left side stopped working.
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #75 of 76
guys I have the CK-10s as well
when I went from sennheisers to CK10 I was confused as to where the bass was
now that my ears are used to it I cannot stand sennheiser bass anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Back