My Personal Skylab Meet
Nov 18, 2010 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dminches

1000+ Head-Fier
I just got back to my hotel room after spending a couple hours at my own personal meet at our own Mr. Hughes' home.  Rob is quite the host.

We started with the big stuff, listen to his full audio set, including his (sigh) B&W speakers.  Of course, the source was his VPI.

Then we moved onto the real stuff, the infamous headphone collection.  I must say, it is a sight to see, pairs upon pairs of can hanging nicely on their stands waiting to be chosen for listening.

Using his WA6 as the amp, I listened to, in this order, the LCD-2s, Denon AH-D7000, JVC DX-1000, Beyerdnamic T1 and then the LCD-2s.  While each pair had their own special characteristic and enjoyment, the LCD-s were by most natural sounding of the bunch.  Their are an acquired "wear", but once you get passed that, the sound is beautiful.  It is the closest I have every come to not thinking I had 2 speakers on my ears.  I must give honorable mention to the JVCs.  While they did not have the detail in the mids and highs that the T1 does, they have a very nice low end and a very nice soundstage.

Finally, I did get a "tour" of his tube closet.  Sweet pickings there.

Nov 18, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 7
Very generous of Rob to meet with you and share his collecton! He's a great guy and I wish i had had more time to talk with him at CanJam.

Have you decided to pick up the LCD2 or any other toys after the audition?

Nov 18, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 7
I really can't see getting anything other than the LCD2. They sounded that good.  I have to figure out what amp to get.  I will probably decide between the WA6 and the WA6 SE.

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 7
I am curious as to how well the WA6 drove the HE-6. 

Thanks for sharing your experience. 

Nov 18, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 7
David it was fun meeting you in person, finally! (David and I know each other from another board).  Glad to share my audio stuff with a buddy
biggrin.gif

We did not listen to the HE-6.  So many headphones, so little time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back