My newest cans vs. my favorite cans: Edition 8 vs. DT990
Jul 26, 2010 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

TheWuss

Reviewer at Headphone.Guru
[size=10pt]I’ve been a proud owner of the 600 ohm DT990 since February of this year.  What started as an impulse buy (thanks, B&H Photo!) has slowly become an overzealous relationship, as these cans have crept slowly to the top of my "heard" of headphones, past the K702, DT880, and others.  What the DT990 do for my ears, when listening to rock music, no other headphones I’ve heard can do.  And that is, among other things, reproduce low frequency sounds with amazing quality (albeit at a somewhat elevated quantity), and satisfying impact.[/size]

[size=10pt]So, my birthday passed recently, and I had the opportunity to purchase a couple high-end phones:  the Edition 8, and the T1.  As I’ve only had a few hours’ head time with the T1, I will reserve comment.  Besides, a three-way showdown would be beyond my meager skills as listener and writer.[/size]

[size=10pt]So, I received the Edition 8, and was sharing the news with some fellow head-fiers when I was spurred on by David.M to compare them with the DT990.  You see, David.M and I are part of a very small group of head-fiers who love the DT990.  And, we’re always bumping into each other when we see them mentioned from thread to thread.[/size]

[size=10pt]David was curious how his and my favorite cans might stack up to a much-revered $1,500 "luxury item".[/size]

[size=10pt]Well, I was very curious as well, but more than a little hesitant to lay my amateurish thoughts out there.  So, I PM’d him my initial findings, testing the waters to see if I might be able to pull this off.  Turns out, I couldn’t resist sharing with you guys. 
biggrin.gif
[/size]

[size=10pt]What follows is not an attempt to debunk any myths, nor to position the DT990 as a David (no pun intended, David) to the Edition 8's Goliath.  I'm simply sharing some admittedly humble musings with you folks.  Some of you may find the comparison strange, even pointless.  Others may disagree with my findings.  But, regardless, spare me no amount of criticism.  You may not change my mind about the DT990, but I welcome any suggestions for improving my penmanship or logic.  I'm fairly new to this hobby, but would like to share my thoughts with you guys in the future!  [/size]

[size=10pt]DT990 build quality / comfort[/size]

[size=10pt]My findings have generally been that Beyer makes well-built cans.  And comfortable ones, too.  The 770/880/990 series is just a really comfortable series of headphones.  The soft velour ear pads, light weight, low clamping force, and single-sided cable make for a headphone that practically disappears when worn.  [/size][size=10pt]The only problems I’ve had with the series is that the adjustment mechanism is a little finicky, and sometimes clicks/pops when the ear cups are jostled.[/size]

[size=10pt]Ed. 8 build quality / comfort[/size]

[size=10pt]Much has been said about the Ethiopian sheep skin, the ruthenium, and so forth.  Well, truth is, they look and feel as good as the marketing material would have you believe.  The joints are nearly seamless, the materials finely fitted and finished, imparting a nice feel when touched and held.  The comfort is also pretty good.  Not quite on par with the Beyers, but nice.  My only nit to pick here is that the ear cups are just a tad small, and folks with larger ears than mine may find them a claustrophobic fit.  On a related note, the isolation is quite impressive.  This is possibly the result of those smallish ear cups, combined with the right amount of clamping force and a smooth leather that seals against the skin.  Yes, the Edition 8 keeps sound out to an impressive degree, better than other closed headphones I’ve heard.[/size]

[size=10pt]DT990 bass[/size]

[size=10pt]What can I say here?  You’ll either love the DT990’s bass response, or you’ll recoil in horror.  I’m aware, fellow head-fiers, that this headphone zooms past “warm” doing 95 MPH, and gets right to the city limits of “basshead” by the time it’s done.  However, what I’ve learned in these past months is that some of my favorite music benefits from this added bass and impact, and is just plain more fun through these cans.  With the DT990 on my head, I stop caring whether or not Paul McCartney’s bass is more prominent than it should be.  Instead, it just grooves.  In The Who's "The Punk and the Godfather," Entwistle's bass is solid, meaty, and has growl.  Keith Moon's kick drum and floor toms have real weight.  While listening to the rather anemic CD masters of Zeppelin, John Paul Jones is no longer an apparition, he's now a venerable, commanding force.[/size]

[size=10pt]Ed. 8 bass[/size]

[size=10pt]Granted, the Edition 8 have a lot more burning in to do before I can cast a final verdict regarding the bass.  But, it seems that these will shape up to be good in this department.  Not mind-blowing, but good.  I think the closed design, coupled with a somewhat elevated mid-bass, makes for a fun listening experience.  However, when low frequency notes are called for, the headphones tend to roll them off gently below 60Hz or so.  Listening to Ryan Adams' "Amy", the floor tom and deep bass notes lack the expansive rumble of the DT990; this is not so objectionable, considering they are portable, closed headphones with smallish ear cups.  The texture and overall presentation of the bass is quite nice.[/size]

[size=10pt]DT990 midrange[/size]

[size=10pt]Here is where the DT990 goes wrong for most people.  The midrange is recessed.  To my ears, this recessed midrange is neither severe, nor is it “veiled”; but it is instead a simple decrease in volume.  Also, on a positive note, the bass never seems to overshadow or muddy up the lower mids as is the case with a lot of other bass-heavy cans.  Despite the fact that singers seem to be standing a foot or so behind the other musicians, the midrange is still rendered quite well.  For example, on Alice in Chains' "Nutshell", from their Unplugged album, Layne Staley could use a touch more volume, but his vocal is otherwise realistic and satisfying[/size][size=10pt].[/size]

[size=10pt]Ed. 8 midrange[/size]

[size=10pt]Here is where the Edition 8 goes right.  While its bass may not reach 20Hz at an impressive -2 dB (or whatever it is the DT990 measures), the Edition 8 midrange is, to my ears, nearly peerless.  That is, I haven’t heard a midrange that sounds this luxuriant (Once again, T1 discounted, as I haven’t spent enough time with it).  I realize while listening to the Edition 8 that the midrange isn’t 100% faithful, and that the headphones are pulling some sort of trick on my ears.  I’m not certain what the trick is, but I don’t mind, as it is positively spellbinding, effortless; it's detailed, but without any edginess.  The Edition 8 seem to be a skosh forward in the mids as well, particularly when compared with the DT990, but as the quality is so fine, it's a welcome coloration.[/size]

[size=10pt]DT990 treble[/size]

[size=10pt]The DT990’s treble gets a passing grade.  It’s neither objectionable, nor great.  There is an artifact somewhere up there, possibly the result of a 7-10kHz spike, that sometimes renders cymbals and other sounds a bit thin.  Take, for example, Ry Cooder's Bop Till You Drop album.  As an early digital production, cymbals sound just that - digital.  However, this is well and truly more apparent on the DT990 than any of my other cans, and listening to this record can be a bit of a chore with them.  Some listeners have found the DT990’s treble to be too abundant.  And this is where I disagree.  To my ears, it is the necessary quantity of treble to balance out the bass.  Whether that is logical or not, the end result is a recessed midrange.  The treble does have really nice extension, though, and aside from that occasional thin quality, is rather resolving.[/size]

[size=10pt]Ed. 8 treble[/size]

[size=10pt]The Edition 8 seem to have a very fine, slightly rolled-off treble, perhaps with just an added touch of sizzle and sparkle.  Not sure how this is achieved, but so far I haven’t heard any quantity or quality of treble that my ears have objected to.  That last bit of air or ambience is missing, perhaps.  And I know that the closed design and small ear cups are to blame, but the headphones compensate for this nicely with their sound signature.  For example, "I Know Ur Girlfriend Hates Me" by Norwegian singer Annie sounds ace on the Edition 8, but is virtually a headache on other cans, with its super-compressed and bright, modern production.[/size]

[size=10pt]DT990 imaging / sound stage[/size]

[size=10pt]Here is another place where the DT990, to my ears, earn their keep.  One might object to the frequency response of these headphones, but there's no denying they image like gangbusters, throwing a sound stage that is full, stable, and immensely enjoyable.  To my ears, the DT990 surpass other headphones I’ve heard in this department.  While the K702, for example, may distribute sounds to the far left and right, they can sound distant, uninvolving.  The DT990 create a field of sound that is more even, and does not diminish the power and dynamics of the music.[/size]

[size=10pt]Ed. 8 imaging / sound stage[/size]

[size=10pt]It’s been my experience, and possibly a huge amount of placebo, that sound stage is the last thing to fall into place during break-in.  But, so far the Edition 8 seem to be offering a very impressive experience considering their closed design.  So, while this may not be a fair match – open headphone vs. closed headphone – the S-Logic is supposed to remedy that; and I guess that it does, to a degree.  One shouldn’t expect HD800 imaging from the Edition 8.  You won’t get it.  But what you will get is a closed headphone that doesn’t sound congested or small.[/size]

[size=10pt]DT990 overall[/size]

[size=10pt]The DT990, to me, possess something that continues to win my ears’ affections.  Granted, they are somewhat like a seasoning.  They "bring the heat" with certain music, but don't work as well with other music.  My choice of tunes happens to be 80% rock, so the added punch is not only welcome, it's damn fun.  These cans are also amp and source-dependant, which can be a big drawback.  But, I've found a combo that makes them sing, to my ears.  Crazy thing is, I'm still leaving a lot on the table in the way of amplification...  [/size]

[size=10pt]I'm certain that many headphones will come and go in my collection.  But, as the DT990 were the first headphones I ever loved listening to, I think they'll always have a place in my heart and within my reach.[/size]

[size=10pt]Ed. 8 overall[/size]

[size=10pt]The Edition 8 are a mighty impressive set of cans.  But, I won’t be the first to say that they are a little overpriced at $1500.  But, while their sound may not be commensurate with their price, one must also consider the lamb skin, ruthenium, and workmanship; unfortunately those aren't a la carte.  The Edition 8 are really fun and surprisingly balanced at the same time.  And so far, I haven’t heard them do anything wrong.  Another nice quality is their sensitivity - they sound pretty good from an iPod, iPad, or just about any source and amp I've used them with.[size=x-small]  I can tell already they are going to get plenty of head time.[/size][/size]

[size=10pt]So, there you have it.  Those are my thoughts on the DT990 and Edition 8.  Gear used was the Stagedac as the source, and the KICAS Caliente and Woo Audio WA6 as amps.  I also listened to the Edition 8 on my iPod, iPad, and ibasso D4.  [/size]

[size=10pt]If you made it this far, thanks for your time, and I hope you enjoyed reading![/size]

-The Wuss

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #2 of 38
I had a opportunity to listen to DT990 600 Ohm at recent Seattle meet. After listening to T1 and Edition8 for some time now, the DT990 sounded little too boomy and reminded me of DT 770 PRO80 I used to have. Only drawback with Edition8 is the small size. If Ultrasone made them full size, Edition8 would be on the very top of headphone world with rest of the legends.

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 38
that was a very nice read indeed. very enjoyable and well written 
smile.gif

i would agree on the points raised for the dt990, except for one thing: the cymbals sounding thin. i don't know if it's just me, but i find the cymbals on the dt990 well-emphasized, and with very good decay, and opposite of thin sounding compared to the dt880 and the senn hd650. sometimes i wear them just to flesh out the cymbals in a particular track 
smile.gif

or maybe you wanted to say it was thin sounding compared to the edition 8?

after reading this though, i love the dt990 more. thank you!

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 38

Quote:
that was a very nice read indeed. very enjoyable and well written 
smile.gif

i would agree on the points raised for the dt990, except for one thing: the cymbals sounding thin. i don't know if it's just me, but i find the cymbals on the dt990 well-emphasized, and with very good decay, and opposite of thin sounding compared to the dt880 and the senn hd650. sometimes i wear them just to flesh out the cymbals in a particular track 
smile.gif

or maybe you wanted to say it was thin sounding compared to the edition 8?

after reading this though, i love the dt990 more. thank you!

thanks, man!

regarding the treble, it is pretty hard to describe.  and only sounds that way on some recordings. 
for some reason, tho, "thin" is the only word that works for me.  haha.
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #5 of 38
I personally have no problem paying extra for luxury goods, I know some other members are strict with their SQ/$ ratio but I'm shopping for consumer goods after all, not a strict professional tool for work. A little vanity is ok by me *shrug*  

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 38

Quote:
I personally have no problem paying extra for luxury goods, I know some other members are strict with their SQ/$ ratio but I'm shopping for consumer goods after all, not a strict professional tool for work. A little vanity is ok by me *shrug*  

yeah.  for me, there's an optimal balance. 
on the one hand, there's the superlux hd668b, that is priced cheap but supposedly sounds awesome.
and on the other hand there's the edition 8, that is priced as a foregone conclusion.  it can only stir up a little debate...

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #7 of 38
Had a great time reading your comparison. I'm looking forward to trying out the DT990/600 relatively soon myself. The only thing I would add is the gear used as it could change. Great writeup!

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #8 of 38

Quote:
Had a great time reading your comparison. I'm looking forward to trying out the DT990/600 relatively soon myself. The only thing I would add is the gear used as it could change. Great writeup!

dang.  i didn't think about that...  will edit to include gear.  thx!

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #9 of 38
ahhhhhhh.... So the battle between David vs Goliath fiercely rages on with an undecided winner. I love it
evil_smiley.gif

Yes, i agree, this is a FANTASTIC review/comparison
biggrin.gif
.   So TheWuss and I have exchanged quite a few pm's these past couple of days, and he was reluctant to post his thoughts on the Edition 8 and how well they fair off vs the mid tier DT990/600's. But he soon understood that this is head-fi, and every single opinion counts 
beerchug.gif

And of course(with the 600ohm beyers) as the level the amp rises, so does the sound quality, right chinesekiwi, right Skylab, right fishk13
wink.gif
, right beyerdynamic users - worldwide?
bigsmile_face.gif

I'm with maruzen on the take of the DT990's cymbals. In my opinion, they never sound thin to me, they are just about right  and have a nice subliminal essence to the strings- that is never harsh and never dry. . But of course MMV depending on the source and songs used.

It brings a tear to my eye that more appraisal is going towards the DT990's nowadays,  It simply does everything tight and right once you feed them the juice that's needed to make them sing.

good read, good read.

Moral Of The Story: Hi-Fi headphones doesn't  necessary trump mid-fi, it's the way the cards are played and what featurette a certain headphone possesses to make them unique and special. But I'm sure most people here knew that already
smily_headphones1.gif

Great read Wuss, great read. You have 'officially' made it to the top without anyone's help. Good work
beerchug.gif

paRocky.jpg

team beyerdynamic)))) represent !

CHEA CHEA

CHEA CHEA.

Now hurry up with that avatar already Zombie_X  ; )

Jul 26, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #11 of 38
Very enjoyable read! Thank you, TheWuss.

I don't have any experience with the DT990, but I do really enjoy the sound of my Edition 8. So much so that I'm not terribly eager to part with it. Even though I think I ultimately will given that I preferred the LCD-2 from my audition at CanJam.

Jul 27, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #12 of 38
Enough of off topic great review... I agree about your theory about first love. Never get rid of your DT 990 or you will just repurchase it later on :wink:
You see tons of head fiers kling on their early loves :)
Do the DT 990 have the same bass reflex bass as the T1 btw?

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #14 of 38
Nicely written and well done, TheWuss.  I enjoyed reading this.  While I sold them after getting the T1, I think the DT990/600 are really under-rated headphones.  I owned them for years, and always enjoyed them.

I agree with your comments and findings in the main.  I also think that, in some respects, the Edition 8 could be considered over-priced, in that I think the less expensive Beyer T1 sounds better, as does the even less expensive LCD-2.  On the other hand, the Edition 8, as you pointed out, is a closed can with outstanding isolation.  In that regard, I think the Edition 8 has no peer - it is the best sounding current-production closed headphone, IMHO, and on top of that isolates very, very well.  So in some respects, I consider the Edition 8 to be "priceless"
biggrin.gif

Anyway, great stuff, TheWuss.

Jul 27, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #15 of 38

Quote:
Nicely written and well done, TheWuss.  I enjoyed reading this.  While I sold them after getting the T1, I think the DT990/600 are really under-rated headphones.  I owned them for years, and always enjoyed them.

I agree with your comments and findings in the main.  I also think that, in some respects, the Edition 8 could be considered over-priced, in that I think the less expensive Beyer T1 sounds better, as does the even less expensive LCD-2.  On the other hand, the Edition 8, as you pointed out, is a closed can with outstanding isolation.  In that regard, I think the Edition 8 has no peer - it is the best sounding current-production closed headphone, IMHO, and on top of that isolates very, very well.  So in some respects, I consider the Edition 8 to be "priceless"
biggrin.gif

Anyway, great stuff, TheWuss.

thanks, skylab.
it was fun to write.
and, yes, late at night when i don't want to disturb the wife, the edition 8 are going to be THE headphones to reach for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back