My new K702 and how it differs from my burnt-in K701.
Feb 18, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #91 of 153
donunus, you should definitely try the 702. Even better with another cable. But you know, the differences between the 701 and 702 are about at max 30% with the recable, so there is no guarantee that it will satisfy you, especially after your experience with the 701.

In terms of natural sound, they are not flat, but they can maybe be perceived as balanced. The upper mids are more forward than many other hps. It's kind of strange when I compare them to my other hps; if I make a quick switch, I can feel something missing from the upper mids and this can be seen as a weakness. This may also be one of the strengths of the 702 with female vocals.

Another thing I wanted to say, is that there is some kind of evolution with the listener. We might start out as bassheads, but as we age, we mellow out and our ears begin to appreciate the more subtle nuances in the headphone experience. It's happened to me the same as everyone else here. My basshead experience was with some Sennheisers and Ultrasones. Let's keep it fun. Afterall, we're here for the experience.

So if you ask me, buy all the headphones that you want to try and just have fun with it. But there is no guarantee here, okay?

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #92 of 153
Guys, realize even AKG admitted that the difference between K701 and K702 are color choices and detached cable?

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #93 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, realize even AKG admitted that the difference between K701 and K702 are color choices and detached cable?

That's exactly what I heard as well...zero sonic differences, but the K702s look nicer and the detachable cable is a nice to have, but I like the K701 stand...so it's a wash!

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #94 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come on guys, it was fun and I kinda miss olblueyez. He had started to moderate his zest for hating the 701s and went after members directly. Not unlike what's happening to donunus and he was much more polite. You have to respect a worthy debater and donunus is a master debater.
biggrin.gif

To those who say tubes don't apply to the 701s are stereotyping budget tube amps with all tube amps. Try them on a tube amp with mucho power supply and you will see why some of us like tube amps with them. If you want to stay under a grand, stick with solid state/hybrid. You want to have a quality amp built with the highest performance in mind, you will pay for it. Just be real smart about what you buy. Don't get dragged into a FOTM for convenience or stuck on a waiting list for months to years.

If master debater = bullSh*t artist - then yeah I agree. Donunus is a masterbater erm I mean masterdebater.

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #95 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you compared K702s with late production K701s perhaps there would not be any differences.

The differences would be there if you compared the K702s with early production K701s. I suspect AKG made changes to the K701 along the way.

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #96 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdogzthmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have yet to hear a K701 and I am interested to see if it differs from my K702 (SN:07276).

When did you get your K702's? Mine are a little over a month old and the SN is 02680!! I ordered mine from ALO Audio... likely aging stock.

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #97 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When did you get your K702's? Mine are a little over a month old and the SN is 02680!! I ordered mine from ALO Audio... likely aging stock.

lol, I have mine over a year, SN/ 05279.

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #98 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, I have mine over a year, SN/ 05279.

Maybe they number them in reverse order.
frown.gif

I'm having a heck of a time here with them.
tongue.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #99 of 153
myn are sn: 08599, bought them a few months ago...
edit: 702s that is

Feb 18, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #100 of 153
I am stuck up with a horde of assignments @ office and promise to be back with further comments asap. Btw, my alo sxc cable shipped and I am waiting for it eagerly!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #102 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another thing I wanted to say, is that there is some kind of evolution with the listener. We might start out as bassheads, but as we age, we mellow out and our ears begin to appreciate the more subtle nuances in the headphone experience. It's happened to me the same as everyone else here. My basshead experience was with some Sennheisers and Ultrasones. Let's keep it fun. Afterall, we're here for the experience.

So if you ask me, buy all the headphones that you want to try and just have fun with it. But there is no guarantee here, okay?

As far as evolving, my taste in sound signature has stopped evolving by the time I joined headfi. My tastes have been the same since the late 90s actually. Early 90s I was into car audio and it was the time where I was still evolving in my sonic tastes. As for music it is different, I am still evolving everyday.

So far as buying all the headphones to try them hehehe thats what Ive been doing. If i get something that at least sounds like a $5000 Harbeth paired with great electronics and a well treated room, I will stop looking to buy a better pair for a while. The sickness of it all
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #103 of 153
^ settle down, your just making yourself look bad by instigating all of this. im not one to get upset but this isn't UFC-fi.org. this site harbors everybodys opinions, and we all know not everybody is the same. since the human auditory memory isnt great its all pretty much opinion based on what we remember hearing. so be happy with what you like and if ur upset about being misled to a bad purchase well you should know after about 10 min on here that there is a risk.

Edit: thanks for revising ur post

Feb 18, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #105 of 153
the k70x really seems like an ultra controversial pair of cans..
Tons of lovers for it, and tons of haters for it.

I don't know about what you guys think, but EVEN the MANUFACTURER, AKG, expose and reveal the "truth" that in their production cycle, they did not change anything on the k702 from the k701, apart from the colour scheme and detachable cables and some aesthetic design, why are you guys still fighting over it ?

We all know that there are many factors in affecting the sound produced by the drivers of our headphone.
Even a mere 50 hours of music playing can affect sound by a marginal difference.
What about the difference in age of the comparing k701 and k702 ?
Even at the first moment of released, the drivers, although stated to be the same, might differs to a certain extent, like being stored in a different temperature room, like during different seasons, who knows ?

There are just so many factors that lead to that "difference" that the op heard with regards to his k701 and k702.
Like he use his k701 much more and longer than the k702, which may also bring about that difference.
Thats why sometimes, different cans of the same model have different burn in time, who knows, our ears are not mechanical, not like it can detect the instantaneous moment when the drivers are "burn in" ?

No offense, but I just found the previous 3 pages of "debating" quite redundant and just building hostility between members.

[edit] Who knows, if the OP had two k701, but with similar issues, would he create this thread ?
No, he would just pass it out as difference in burn in time, as the models are the same, unlike k702 and k701, which are also the same with k701 and k701.

Peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back