My new K702 and how it differs from my burnt-in K701.
Feb 15, 2010 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 153

bhanja_trinanjan

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I had always wanted to re-cable my K701; so when I saw the K702 go for a huge discount, I grabbed a new one from Headroom.

Initial listening tells me that the K702 is indeed voiced a little differently from my K701.

The old K701 sounds more open and has more treble sparkle (a clear effect of burn-in)… but it seems to have more of the slight disconnect between the mid-range, upper mid-range and treble. The slight de-emphasis and over-emphasis of certain frequencies in the upper mid-range and lower treble seems more pronounced on the K701.

In contrast, the K702 sounds warmer and more relaxed and does not have much of a spike in the lower treble. It sounds more even tonally than the K701 to my ears.

Surprising? I am still doing A-B-A comparisons…

I am enjoying my K702 a bit more and I am certain that the SXC CRYO cable (bought yesterday, on the way) will improve it even more!

Did AKG quietly change something in the recent production batches of the K702?

I also heard a plethora of high-end stand-mount speakers over the weekend… and the K702 rules them all!
k701smile.gif

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #2 of 153
I recently acquired a K702, and expected to hear excessive "treble energy" that is often attributed to the K701/702 series. To my surprise, I'm not finding any excessive treble or harshness at all, even straight out of the box. These are very good phones, and at $262 a real bargain.

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 153
As I liked the K701 as it was, I'm happy to hear the newest K702s are proving just a little better. I always thought they were the same headphone, just a different color. It's nice to be wrong.

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #6 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaycalgary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice to hear comparisons. How many hours are on the K702 so far?

~ 25...

Not keeping track though... just burning them on my head...

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently acquired a K702, and expected to hear excessive "treble energy" that is often attributed to the K701/702 series. To my surprise, I'm not finding any excessive treble or harshness at all, even straight out of the box. These are very good phones, and at $262 a real bargain.

Right! There is ZERO treble harshness on this new pair... can't say the same about my old K701.

k701smile.gif

Feb 15, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #8 of 153
Well it would be nice to think that there was a revision made that there is an improvement in sound on an already great headphone. It will be nice to hear a comparison in the future when they are both mechanically broken in. I have had my new pair of K702 for about a week now and run pink noise through them every night. My 1st pair of K702 were sent in for repair. The mechanical break in of these headphones should be considered a fact. The older pair were more open with more bass. The new pair were harsh in the treble. It is just wishful thinking that the drivers from the K701 are different from the K702 so far.

Feb 15, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 153
While I cannot prove it, I suspect that there was a change done to the K701s sometime over it's life.

I have auditioned two early production pairs (s/n 1xxxx) and it didn't sound like mine which is (s/n 29xxx). Mine sounds more like your description of your K702s and that is the way it sounded right out of the box.

Feb 15, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #10 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhanja_trinanjan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right! There is ZERO treble harshness on this new pair... can't say the same about my old K701.

k701smile.gif

Very interesting. I genuinely thought they were pretty much the same cans. What you prefer about the K702's is what I'd prefer about any can so it seems that I made the correct decision to get the K702's.

I'll be looking out for your impressions with the cable upgrade. I find the cable upgrade change to be more discernible when you switch back to the stocks after using the upgrades for a while, rather than when you switch from the stocks to the new ones.

Feb 15, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #11 of 153
Good to hear. Keep us posted.

Feb 15, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #12 of 153
Quote:

The old K701 sounds more open and has more treble sparkle (a clear effect of burn-in)… but it seems to have more of the slight disconnect between the mid-range, upper mid-range and treble.

I´ve received a new pair of K701 last friday. Please tell me that the totally squashed mid range will raise after several hours of burn in... Right out of the box - mine which is (s/n 44xxx ) - sound like they´re evil V eq!
biggrin.gif

Please, keep us posted with your A-B comparisons

Feb 15, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #13 of 153
Congratulations! I hope the solo violin will sounds better now. It's known that AKG's change parts over the production time of many of their hps. These little changes can effect the sound. Here are some nice pictures that show differences: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/akg...ession-464147/ Also Headroom changed the graph between the K701 and the K702 and now the 702 graph is represent the K701 as well, but still this info is not so clear. It will be very interesting to follow this thread. Still no 702 icon.
k701smile.gif

Feb 15, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #14 of 153
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonshake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sound like they´re evil V eq!

Since when were the K702/K701 bassy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back