My loved K701's has to go. What should I get instead? T1?
Sep 1, 2010 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

jzono1

Head-Fier
I have a headache problem, which gets worse with prolonged daily use of my K701's. Other than that one issue I like the sound qualities of the K701. Ideally I'd like a tad stronger low-range, but I don't want headphones with drasticly different sound compared to my K701's.

Budgetwise I'm open to all reasonable suggestions up to and including Beyerdynamic T1's and Sennheiser HD800's.

I love the looks of the T1. Sound-wise the usual descriptions tend to be the sound I'm after.I like good, detailed sound without much coloration at all. I want treble resolution without it being annoying. I want bass that is there, sharply defined and neither too thin or too fat.

I think I should look closely at Beyerdynamic headphones, since they seem to be great at comfort. Also, it's the brand that got me interested in great sound. I know how a pair of 100€ Beyers sound(DT331). I can only imagine how great the T1 is.

Sep 1, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #2 of 19
are the headaches from comfort/fit issues?
(i.e., the bumps on the headband?)

i have the T1, and it is a full yard stick ahead of the K702.  but i guess it could be described in the same way.
accurate, somewhat fast, detailed, revealing, etc.

the T1 seems to fit the billing you've laid out there. 

Sep 1, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #3 of 19
Yeah, it's somehow related to the 8 bumps and the top-heavy pressure from the cans.

As a footnote. I wear glasses, and the K701 isn't very compitable with that. Anything massive and they focus the K701's pressure.

Sep 1, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 19
You seem intent on buying the T1, but I'll still share my story. Went from K701 to HD800 (I also wear glasses, but never had a problem with them) and couldn't be happier. The HD800's signature is somewhat close to the K701 but better in every way.

And, boy, are they confortable
dt880smile.png

Sep 1, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #5 of 19
I don't like the looks of the HD800 - even though they're a few notches above the rest of the Sennheisers at it. And for me, looks are important.

It's like when I bought my monitor. Could've gone for the Dell 30" at a noticeably better price and equal performance, but went with the Apple 30" just for the perfect looks.

Sep 1, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #6 of 19
If you really want to go with the T1, I don't see what other headphone is out there besides the HD800 which you dislike...I don't blame you for that. The HD800 is intensively big and can get very annoying at times; at least I know when I auditioned it a few times, it felt very awkward and heavy, I didn't feel like I would be able to wear it for long hours at all. You can keep asking around, but I can tell your mind is set on the T1, and it's right for your budget right? I say go for it. If I could afford a headphone within that budget, I'll be upright and honest with you, I wouldn't look to anything past the T1. Very chic and an industrialized look (a beyerdynamic style), modern, and excellent sound quality according to most of people who have auditioned it and own it.

Enjoy your new headphone!
beerchug.gif

Sep 1, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #7 of 19
I had a headache problem with my beloved AKG K701 too (from the bumps on the headband).

I can recommend the HD800 as a great substition for the akg701. The HD800 are the most comfortable headphones I know, they almost disappear on my head. The look is not an issue for me. Most of the time, they are on my head and I do not see them.

I do not have any experience with the T1.

Sep 1, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #8 of 19
I had the same problem with the K701 as well, the bumps on top would irritate my head after awhile of listening. Never heard the HD800's, but I know the W5000's were the ultimate upgrade for me coming from my beloved AKG's. And check out the W5000's looks, if that is also important for you, you cannot go wrong, they ooze class, one of the sexiest cans I had the pleasure of owning! I will stop being a fanboy, but it's so hard lol... 
biggrin.gif
 good luck, 

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #9 of 19
Wait, you think the T1 looks *better* than the HD800?  I'll never understand the tastes on this forum. 

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #10 of 19
The T1 is a super headphone. Very detailed and had unbelievable transparency and very balanced and neutral. I sold my 701 about 2 weeks after getting the T1. I also have the D7000 which is different so they are still with me. If you like Beyer sounds buy these.

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #11 of 19
How much would be a fair price for a pair of nicely treated 19 month old K701's with 41 months of "reklamasjonsrett" remaining? (Almost like a warranty, only it's mandated by law here in Norway, covers manufacturing defects for 5 years.)

I do agree that the W5000's look good. But I basicly need open or semi-open headphones, since I need to hear some ambient sounds for various reasons - need to hear it if there's a customer at the door, or if one of the dogs makes noise downstairs.

I can't find the T1 in any stores in a 150 mile radius, so it looks like I'll just have to order a pair and see if I like them. (Yay for 14 day free returns.)

Do they need much of an amp? I'm currently using a cheap-ish DAC from ebay, it gives a strong & nice signal. Drives my K701's good - better than the XM4 I sold - should it be enough untill I can afford proper amping?

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #12 of 19
Maybe worth wait till end of week to see what's akg up to as well on their big announcement of new products at German show.

Yes, T1 does need decent amp as it is harder to push than say 701.

Sep 1, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
Apparently not unfortunately according to couple of reports I heard. So probably best to look elsewhere for that - there are strong suggestions that it favours decent tube amp.

Count me there! I LOVE the HA-160 with the K-702 but dislike it with the T1. The T1 has veiled bass, upper mid depression and a shrunk soundstage on the HA-160.

Why not the SPL Auditor with the T1? Huge current swing @ High impedance...

Quote:
I have a headache problem, which gets worse with prolonged daily use of my K701's. Other than that one issue I like the sound qualities of the K701. Ideally I'd like a tad stronger low-range, but I don't want headphones with drasticly different sound compared to my K701's.

Budgetwise I'm open to all reasonable suggestions up to and including Beyerdynamic T1's and Sennheiser HD800's.

I love the looks of the T1. Sound-wise the usual descriptions tend to be the sound I'm after.I like good, detailed sound without much coloration at all. I want treble resolution without it being annoying. I want bass that is there, sharply defined and neither too thin or too fat.

I think I should look closely at Beyerdynamic headphones, since they seem to be great at comfort. Also, it's the brand that got me interested in great sound. I know how a pair of 100€ Beyers sound(DT331). I can only imagine how great the T1 is.

To my ears, the T1 isn't much of an upgrade over the Burson HA-160 - AKG K-702 duo, if at all.

The K-702, in spite of its flaws, is more accurate and neutral overall than the T1.

Resolution of the two phones is very very similar on good classical recordings and the K-702 just has a fabulous soundstage on the Burson.

Get the K-702 & Burson HA-160... awesome VFM and the K-702 sits more comfortably on my head than the K-701.

Never heard the HD-800/K-1000/K-501 so cannot comment on those at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back