My HD-600's don't ROCK
Mar 23, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #16 of 63
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
hummm... yes?

I had the HD600 and used them with many metal and rock CDs, and they so indeed rock! However, if your system doesn't rock, the HD600 never will. Remember you must think of the system as the whole, don't blame the headphones for the weak links in your system.

Well considering you quoted my question about the rest of my system.... you lecturing me on thinking of my system as a whole..... eh whatever.

I wasn't really blaming the HD-600's... I only put that in the subject because I needed to pick a forum to post in. And a lot of people here seem to support that the hd-600's indeed are not rock phones. Yes I understand my setup isn't the most optimal thing in the world. I aim to go to this meet and find the happy medium of good sound on a low budget (I still feel like I'm pretty close to that now)

Mar 23, 2004 at 2:26 AM Post #17 of 63
The problem is that many high-fi phones don't accentuate the bass and need a lot of power to show the full range of dynamics in rock music. However with a little babying they may still rock.

I was recently struck by now much cleaning and tweaking my Stax 404 system improved performance on rock music. This included using a Maxell brush to clean the laser head of my cd player, using Progold on all contacts including power cables placing my ceramic filters at the CD player end of my cd-headphone amp interconnect. I also find that Herbies Grungebuster tends to give a cleaner more powerful bass line. The Stax systems also work best after a significant warm-up. Also watch how you plug your equipment into the wall, use good quality cables. I plug the Stax amp directly into the wall plug and do not use a multi-plug adapter with it.

Phones that have boomy bass give an impression of greater dynamics to music with a lot of bass already. Of course they can also give you a real headache and numb ears from auditory fatigue. Nevertheless if you can get every scrap of power applied to music reproduction, even non-boomy headphones will rock and you will be hearing something closer to what was monitored in the studio, than you would on boomy phones.

Mar 23, 2004 at 3:30 AM Post #18 of 63
Maybe hd600 dont exaggerate enough,and compare to others,it not so deep. If another headphone plays a bit more bass than true situation,you may like it.HD650 have deeper bass than 600.

Mar 23, 2004 at 4:08 AM Post #19 of 63
I think the HD600s do rock with enough power thrown at them. They are also one of the most easily EQ'ed phones. I don't doubt most would prefer the aggressive Grados though (said by a previous SR225 owner), just like most would prefer a similar mix at concerts. Part of the reason I don't attend many live shows anymore.
frown.gif

$99 for a pair of Alessandro MS1s, is certainly a nice cheap backup. Something I've considered more than once.

Mar 23, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #20 of 63
Although I rarely use my Senns (HD650/HD600) for rock music, but they are quite capable of playing them. Check your source, any lossy type source will have hardtime keeping up with wide dynamic/transient rock tracks. Just like couple of postings suggest, try non-lossy source for the rock (CD/SACD/DVD-A). I sort of gave up listening to anything under 192kps encoded mp3 for dynamic music (rock, classic, and metal).

If your source/interconnect/amp/headphone check out fine, then you may be experiencing anti-Senn'ism (don't like Senn sound). If that is the case, you may want to take the plunge, Grado phones are quite capable and suitable for rock, Audio Technica A900, A1000, W1000 are also good choice and so as Sony CD3000. Check them out! They ROCK!
-Mike

Mar 23, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #21 of 63
I think that's is SOOOOOOOOOO WRONG. My ER4S headphones reveal just how well recorded, mixed, and mastered most of my CD's and records are. You'd be surprised how much care most engineers put into their work and how much better their gear is to anything you are using. I think when people go on and on about how bad their albums are, it's actually a symptom of an inaccurate or idiosynchratic playback system. If that's a common complaint on the HD600, then it's not as great a headphone as most people say.

Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
Yes, your HD 600's are exposing just how craptastic your particular ROCK recordings really are!
very_evil_smiley.gif

(This means, the engineers really rolled off the bass and the treble in the actual recording or mastering - so that they'll be listenable on cheap, really craptacular equipment. And had they left the bass and treble intact, those recordings will distort badly at even moderately low volume on such equipment.)

Mar 23, 2004 at 4:51 AM Post #22 of 63
" If that's a common complaint on the HD600, then it's not as great a headphone as most people say."
Y,hd600 goes not good with pop,when it play girl'singing,it sound like the girl is 10 years older than real.

Mar 23, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #25 of 63
Quote:

Originally posted by santiao00
Y,hd600 goes not good with pop,when it play girl'singing,it sound like the girl is 10 years older than real.

LOL!!!.. I'm going to have to write this one down.. brilliant!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2004 at 6:01 AM Post #26 of 63
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
LOL!!!.. I'm going to have to write this one down.. brilliant!
smily_headphones1.gif

agreed, laughed my ass off when i read that.

Mar 23, 2004 at 8:34 AM Post #28 of 63
There are better choices for rock headphones, and the HD600s only truly sound great for rock on a balanced setup, which is well out of a decent price range for most.

Cheers,
Geek

Mar 23, 2004 at 1:15 PM Post #29 of 63
Quote:

Originally posted by santiao00
I think the only kind of music hd600 can play well is classical.

I assume you've listened to HD600s with many types of music, and using quality equipment. Otherwise, I have to say you are incorrect.

I do share the opinion that they aren't headbanger cans and won't sound upfront/"in your face" no matter what equipment is used -- however, they are incredibly good with pop music in general, ambient (extremely good), film soundtracks, jazz, folk and many others.

Even to say HD600s are only good with classical is a bit ridiculous, given the fact that other forms of music like film soundtracks, acoustic folk and "world music" are nearly identical to classical in the ways that they challenge a pair of headphones.

Mar 23, 2004 at 6:31 PM Post #30 of 63
Bad recordings do suck through the HD600. I've heard the ER4S on a pretty good setup (cosmic reference & MOH(R) w/attenuator through an oversampling CD source) and they do have a great midrange, but the highs are much more articulate, detailed, and natural on HD600s. The HD600s sound great on great recordings, but they sound like muddled crap on bad recordings and equpiment.

The HD600 is a $300 phone demanding a $4000 cdp / amp to hit 90% of their potential. You're at probably 60% in the sub $1k price range.

Cheers,
Geek

Users who are viewing this thread

Back