My HD-600's don't ROCK
Mar 22, 2004 at 10:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

NightWoundsTime

A nice hunk of young man
Ok so after a little while with my setup (see below), I am really impressed with the detail these phones convey, and find myself gravitating towards lighter acoustic/classical/jazz music because the details are so much nicer. What I notice though is that I'm not happy with any "louder" music in my setup. Distorted guitars sound just wrong. I use Foobar and I've played with every setting I can find to try and change the sound. Basically with any rock music I find that bass doesn't boom and treble is very recessed. So where is the problem in my setup? I'm thinking possibly the Monster interconnect, or the sound card. Or is not-rocking a signature of hi-fi? Perish the thought
confused.gif

Mar 22, 2004 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 63
Sennheiser HD580/600/650 has been noted by many, many people as not the most optimal headphone for rock-oriented music..

You're just echoing the sentiments of many others here, there's not all that much wrong with your set-up.

Mar 22, 2004 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 63
Yes, your HD 600's are exposing just how craptastic your particular ROCK recordings really are!
very_evil_smiley.gif

(This means, the engineers really rolled off the bass and the treble in the actual recording or mastering - so that they'll be listenable on cheap, really craptacular equipment. And had they left the bass and treble intact, those recordings will distort badly at even moderately low volume on such equipment.)

Mar 22, 2004 at 10:57 PM Post #5 of 63
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
Yes, your HD 600's are exposing just how craptastic your particular ROCK recordings really are!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Heh I'd thought of that too. Wouldn't fit the rock aesthetic to be too clean in their recording process. These aren't like meathead metal recordings though. I'm talking about even things like Elvis Costello's "When I was Cruel", which I'd heard was a "raw" recording, and now I see why.

So what cans really rock? I know I've seen a couple times that Grado 225's are great rock cans... but what are the characteristics that make them good? I'm guessing lots of bass & not too accurate sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2004 at 11:11 PM Post #7 of 63
Grado

SR-225 or RS-1 to be precise.
They don't have overpowering bass at all. In fact, some people complained about lack of bass (without an amp).
What makes them shine is the midrange, detail, highs, extension and whatever you may call it, but they can really make guitars sound unbelievably great.
Note that this is just from auditioning those two ... but I'm certainly not alone with that statement.

Mar 22, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #8 of 63
Rocking is a feature of Hi-Fi... Although it requires a systematic approach on the whole. My ATH-D1000 rocks very well. So does the ATH-W2002. Even the DT880 rocks somewhat when you plug the RKV into the back of it. Many recommended "Hi-Fi" set-ups emphasise the detail to an unnecessary level, becoming brittle and uninvolving in the process. Hello ER-4S owners everywhere
evil_smiley.gif

But it's true that for reliable
DSC00057s.jpg
factor the flatpadded RS-1 are hard to go wrong with.

Mar 22, 2004 at 11:34 PM Post #9 of 63
I agree with the guys. I had grados (ms1 and sr-325) and they ruled for rock. You would become engrossed with the music in a euphoric way, granted your ears would probably give way after an hour or two. Soundstage does take a big hit though. If you plan on getting them, get the sr-225s, considered to be the best value in the line. Liquiddddddddddddd Midrange. YMMV

BTW (off-topic) taurui, if you dislike naruto fanboys (your sig) you must loathe the dedicated cosplayers.
biggrin.gif
(I'm not one, I just like the anime/manga)
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 22, 2004 at 11:41 PM Post #10 of 63
HA HA!
Which twit told you to buy the HD-600s for rock?
Although, based on your description, you may not like the ultimate rock phone, the Grado SR-325s. The bass is not going to boom no matter what, it is just they are really tight.

Mar 22, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #11 of 63
I think it all depends on musical tastes. You really can't point and say the HD600s aren't good for rock because they ARE good for rock just that it doesn't appeal to as many rockers as it does to classical or jazz listeners.

As you have suggested, rock and hip hop club type music listeners generally prefer boomier bass. But that is neither natural or musical. It's simply attenuating the lower frequencies. The HD600 aims for more of a seamless liquid sound. With that in mind, if bass and more bass is what you're after you should look at DJ type phones.

Mar 23, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #13 of 63
Quote:

Originally posted by kartik
HA HA!
Which twit told you to buy the HD-600s for rock?
Although, based on your description, you may not like the ultimate rock phone, the Grado SR-325s. The bass is not going to boom no matter what, it is just they are really tight.

heh... nobody really told me anything about the 600's. I didn't come around here till I'd bought them. They just came up on the net as one of the best phones around and I was sick of buying crap. So far I absolutely love them despite their shortcomings. I can live without the bass but if I can get guitars to sound alright I'll be happy.

Going to a meet this sunday where I'll get to hear RS-1's, 325's and a ton of other stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2004 at 1:14 AM Post #14 of 63
Quote:

I'm thinking possibly the Monster interconnect, or the sound card.

hummm... yes?

I had the HD600 and used them with many metal and rock CDs, and they so indeed rock! However, if your system doesn't rock, the HD600 never will. Remember you must think of the system as the whole, don't blame the headphones for the weak links in your system.

Mar 23, 2004 at 1:17 AM Post #15 of 63
Quote:

Originally posted by NightWoundsTime
Going to a meet this sunday where I'll get to hear RS-1's, 325's and a ton of other stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Make sure to bring your HD600's with you can plug them into different amps and listen to your favorite rock CDs, then you will hear what they can do and you will understand
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back