Mar 25, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #61 of 63
Quote:

Satisfied?
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
biggrin.gif

I see you are...
smily_headphones1.gif

FWIW, I don't tell lies to protect my image. I'm as imperfect as my headphones.

Mar 25, 2004 at 8:33 PM Post #62 of 63
Headphone listening is very subjective, even more so than speaker listening. There's not so much objective right or wrong, just personal perception. I for one seem to be somewhat tolerant as to sonic balance, so I can adapt myself to a rather bright presentation like from the DT 880 as well as to a rather dark presentation like from the HD 600. Now both cans aren't said to be overly suitable for rock, and to a certain degree I agree. Nevertheless I have preferred them to Grados (SR-225 and SR-325) which to my ears simply don't sound right, although rock music sounds interesting with them.

AS Zeplin has pointed out, the HD 650 is a different beast compared to the HD 600, especially when it comes to rock. Despite its somewhat similar sonic balance it sounds clearly faster and much more fascinating with this genre. This applies even more to electronic music -- to my ears this is where the HD 650 excels the most, beside classical, of course. I can't reproduce the opinion that it is slow in transient speed; to me this seems to be a rather naive approach to the matter, equating transient speed with a lot of treble energy. The HD 650 is fast as hell, but admittedly it's not bright. Astonishing enough that it's that transparent and detailed -- IMO a really mature proof for its high accuracy. But to really be able to appreciate these qualities you need electronics which let you hear them and not just ostensible effects.

peacesign.gif

Mar 25, 2004 at 8:34 PM Post #63 of 63
Aren't we kinda back to the headphones sounding like headphones versus headphones sounding like speakers debate? I think the Senns come closer to the latter, and therefore the Sonys are more artificial sounding to me, but I know others are using a different scale. I like both phones quite a bit, and if things were different (amp requirement, open v. closed, etc.), I'd probably be using CD3Ks right now, but it seems like members here are using different scales for what is natural or artificial sounding. Charts, emotional response/slam, traditional listening environments/speakers, etc, are all different characters to judge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back