My Grado HF-1 sounds very good but... (photos)
Oct 13, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #16 of 63
I wouldn't be happy if I had HF-1's that looked like that. I don't even care that the earpiece moldings looks all scratched up on the inside after I take off the bowls off my 225's, but to see the scuff mark that noticeable on the outside is not excusable.

Oct 13, 2005 at 5:34 PM Post #17 of 63
My SR80's have no problems. Good thing I didn't order the HF-1's. I would have been disapointed in build quality. I am sure they sound great though. Now where are those RS1's
rs1smile.gif

-Alex-

Oct 13, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #18 of 63
grado's construction quality or lack of is an old topic but it really is disappointing that the plastic housing is not finished better on such an expensive set of headphones. considering that there's better looking construction and plastics coming out of china makes it even more disappointing. that being said, at least grado has spent time on the more important aspect of these cans, the sound.

Oct 13, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #19 of 63
I don't know guys, if my HF-1's look like that they might be sent back. You have to draw the line somewhere. Injection molding has been around a long time- if it is obviously a problem can't he just stick the sprue's on the inside to hide them, or heck, have one of his employees clean the molds once in a while?

I cannot honestly say I see a huge difference from your pre and post-filing to fix the problem, and do I really want to start using 'brasso', files, and sandpaper to fix 200$ headphones out of the box?!? Sure you do that on a $2 model, but a finished product?!

I never had a problem ordering due to the glue because it's hidden, but that looks like you dropped the headphones and they took some serious damage. "Love it or leave it" or "atleast it doesn't affect the sound" might be the response, but when do you draw the line and actualy leave it?
confused.gif

Sorry to be the Devil's advocate here, but this just seems too much.... How many people actually have this problem? I know my sr-60's have a tiny bit like the ms-1's pictured but that is fine with me....

Oct 13, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #20 of 63
I have owned my grado sr125's for over 5-6 years and I've just noticed the "scuff" marks like the ones on your ms1's. yes they are minor and acceptable I guess.

BUT to have the MAJOR SCUFF that look like your HF-1's, I would definitely sent those **** back ASAP! That's totally unacceptable for even a $4 headphone, let alone a $200 one!!!!!!!!!!!
rolleyes.gif

I'll keep an eye on my HF-1's when they arrive....

Oct 13, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #21 of 63
double post

Oct 13, 2005 at 6:49 PM Post #22 of 63
It's a given, if grado was a high volume producer, he could have different equipment and have a better finished product. If he spent more time having these assembled, he could have done a better job with the equipment he had available. The $175 headphones he makes for headfi alone, that sound better than the SR325is, and that have custom wood driver housings could be done better. But at some point, it would be too big a distraction from his primary business, and he could choose not to do it. And then, instead of getting $175 limited edition phones, we could have $500 not-limited edition phones that are finished to a higher standard, say SR425s.

Oct 13, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #23 of 63
Grado did $10,000,000 in sales last year alone, according to Zanth's interview with John, and is expected to top that number by 20% this year. He is a high volume producer...and it seems like his business model hasn't caught up with his sales. Probably the same few dudes building these things day in and day out in New York (Grado only has 17 employees), and when sales go up and Grado is forced to churn out more units without adding to the assembly staff, quality is going to suffer. The HF-1 seems like pretty amply evidence of this to me.

Oct 13, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #24 of 63
Note that the closeup photos make the scuff marks look worse than they really are. When I look at it under normal lighting it is not that noticeable.

Many other members are waiting to receive their HF-1s. I posted this thread to show the cosmetic flaws on my pair so others will be aware of a potential issue with theirs.

The way the HF-1 sounds makes me forget any perceived flaws in its appearance. I think it may sound similar to the RS-1 to someone who has never heard a Grado, and it's possible they may even prefer the HF-1. I will ask some headphone-newb friends to do the Pepsi challenge between the two.

Yes, I'm saying it doesn't sound that much worse than my RS-1 and is just as enjoyable to listen to.

The HF-1 saga continues.
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2005 at 8:00 PM Post #25 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
Note that the closeup photos make the scuff marks look worse than they really are. When I look at it under normal lighting it is not that noticeable.

Many other members are waiting to receive their HF-1s. I posted this thread to show the cosmetic flaws on my pair so others will be aware of a potential issue with theirs.

The way the HF-1 sounds makes me forget any perceived flaws in its appearance. I think it may sound similar to the RS-1 to someone who has never heard a Grado, and it's possible they may even prefer the HF-1. I will ask some headphone-newb friends to do the Pepsi challenge between the two.

Yes, I'm saying it doesn't sound that much worse than my RS-1 and is just as enjoyable to listen to.

The HF-1 saga continues.
biggrin.gif

That definatley is a bold thing to say,

i'm refraining from saying anything, i'm listening to my third song with them, i am reminded of the RS1 a bit ; ).

One thing i did do, is swap on my broken in bowls, and i do have a new pair of flats here i might give a shot later on. I wanna appreciate them with bowls though first heh.

Oct 13, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #26 of 63
mine have the same marks. but honestly, i didnt even notice them until you pointed them out. they are on the bottom of the headhpone, and dont show unless you put them down facing away from you.

i actually kind of like it. makes it feel more like a custom, handmade job than say the way sennheiser cans look. (please dont start a vs. war here
wink.gif
)

Oct 13, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #27 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils
i actually kind of like it. makes it feel more like a custom, handmade job than say the way sennheiser cans look. (please dont start a vs. war here
wink.gif
)

I feel much the same way, TBH. They've got this sort of air about them, kinda like an old car: you know it's imperfect, but that almost makes it that much more perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back