My Grado HF-1 sounds very good but... (photos)
Oct 13, 2005 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

Elephas

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm very impressed and happy with the way my Grado HF-1 sounds.

However, I'm somewhat disappointed with the appearance of my HF-1. The plastic area below the label "Grado" is not smooth and appears to be scuffed. It is a cosmetic issue that doesn't affect the sound, but it does bother me a bit.

I also have an Alessandro MS1, and it does not look as bad as my HF-1. Its plastic under the label "Grado" is only slightly scuffed. I experienced another type of problem with it when the right side detached from the headband at the plastic "R" and fell off. The local audio shop glued it back on.

I like the sound of the MS1 and HF-1 enough to keep and use them. I consider them to be the best values in terms of price to sound quality ratio among the headphones I have. I just wish they have better build quality.

Note: I'm using the word "scuffed" to describe the way the plastic looks and feels. I can't think of a better word at the moment.

HF-1scuff1.jpg

HF-1scuff2.jpg

HF-1scuff4.jpg

HF-1scuff3.jpg

AlessandroMS1.jpg

MS1broken.jpg

Oct 13, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #3 of 63
My HF-1s and SR225s have this same scuff. Maybe the cups are made and stored on a long plastic bar (I'm not explaining this very well) and cut off as and when needed?

Oct 13, 2005 at 1:50 PM Post #4 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
My HF-1s and SR225s have this same scuff. Maybe the cups are made and stored on a long plastic bar (I'm not explaining this very well) and cut off as and when needed?

Back during the first round of commenting about this, someone suggested that it could also be the result of the mould they use for the cups getting old and leaving more excess plastic at the injection point (not sure what the proper term is, but it's in the same vein as slag when welding).

Either way, my HF-1s bear similar marks, though I probably wouldn't have picked up on it anytime soon if it hadn't already been brought up here.
But then, I also tend to favour function over form, so cosmetics aren't [usually!] a big issue for me.

Oct 13, 2005 at 1:51 PM Post #6 of 63
Quote:

Yeah, it's the way they are moulded (like an airfix kit) that they have to be cut off the sprue. Looks like the ones the OP recieved were cut from the sprue a little heavy handedly. Could try gently filing the roughness away with a needle file or similar if it bothers you.

Oct 13, 2005 at 1:57 PM Post #7 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav
Yeah, it's the way they are moulded (like an airfix kit) that they have to be cut off the sprue. Looks like the ones the OP recieved were cut from the sprue a little heavy handedly. Could try gently filing the roughness away with a needle file or similar if it bothers you.

That's what I meant, exactly like airfix
wink.gif
On both of mine there's no plastic sticking out, some of the cup is actually missing to this "scuff". I couldn't care less though, it's not as if I can see it when they're on my head
tongue.gif

Oct 13, 2005 at 2:23 PM Post #8 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav
Could try gently filing the roughness away with a needle file or similar if it bothers you.

I've filed this under "Hey, why didn't I think of that?"

I took a metal nail file (didn't know what a "needle file" is) and filed away some plastic. It may not be as obvious from the photos, but it looks a bit better now. Thanks, Rav.

Post-filing:

HF-1filed.jpg

Oct 13, 2005 at 2:53 PM Post #9 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas
I've filed this under "Hey, why didn't I think of that?"

I took a metal nail file (didn't know what a "needle file" is) and filed away some plastic. It may not be as obvious from the photos, but it looks a bit better now. Thanks, Rav.

Hehe, no problem ... a needle file is like a very long and thin metal file, they come in varying shapes (round, square, hybrid etc).

Oct 13, 2005 at 3:26 PM Post #11 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by C38368
Back during the first round of commenting about this, someone suggested that it could also be the result of the mould they use for the cups getting old and leaving more excess plastic at the injection point (not sure what the proper term is, but it's in the same vein as slag when welding).

It must be something like this because I've just looked closely at my HF-1's and they have the same problem (or non-problem, depending on how you look at it).

Oct 13, 2005 at 3:44 PM Post #12 of 63
a little light grit sand paper and brasso would fix this in a second guys.

Don't worry so much, looks like a minor thing, and atleast it's only a mark in plastic, alot easier to repair then say the wood.

If my pair has this problem i'll try to use my camera to take pics, and repair them and take pics as well. I have some experience like this from fixing the crystal on my rolex, and doing auto detailing work.

Oct 13, 2005 at 4:57 PM Post #13 of 63
But regarless of material, it shouldn't be seen on a $200 headphone which is produced by people that i'm sure know how to master this very well. I guess i will be pissed when i get my HF-1 sometime
icon10.gif
- no, just kidding, but it does look a little rushed.
Atleast it doesn't affect the sound.

Oct 13, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #14 of 63
yeah just see it as a high-level modelling project hehe - injection molding plastic cases like that are old hat to we model-building freaks, and the fact that it shows up on these cans is just par for the course. old school tooling rules!
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 13, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #15 of 63
Quote:

That's what I meant, exactly like airfix
wink.gif
On both of mine there's no plastic sticking out, some of the cup is actually missing to this "scuff". I couldn't care less though, it's not as if I can see it when they're on my head
tongue.gif

Ah AIRFIX. Those were the days. I think I used to pay $1 to $2 for HO scale tanks and planes. I did a better job of cutting parts off the sprue than what these pictures look like. $200 for that? Glad I spent the extra $100 with Alessandro for the MS-2's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back