My Fitz modded dual Darkvoices are here! Big Pics!
Apr 11, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #62 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come one... you know you want one of those purdy singlepower steppers. Anything else is just going to be second best.
very_evil_smiley.gif

As for your 'three conclusions', bang on with what I've been hearing of the K340's when fed from a balanced tube amp. Bass light... suuure.
340smile.gif

Someone asked how they do for rock. I believe Steve is talking classic rock... and I would have to agree that has never been the K340's strong point. Stuff that is 'weakly' mastered like The Doors needs some mad amplification to get it sounding as exciting as more recent discs. That said, current rock sounds quite nice on them... especially stuff with acoustic guitar.
wink.gif

The Single power stepper is a beauty to behold. If I can get a second mortgage on my house that's what we'll go with.
tongue.gif

And yes thanks for the clarification, classic rock is exactly what I meant. If you have a good recording though it can still be quite nice. Modern rock is a different story, it's usually mastered much better and can be very good w/K340's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fitz has kindly taken on a K340 resurrection and re-termination project for me. Balanced, here I come!
cool.gif

Congratulations on the K340's! Their in great hands!

Apr 12, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #64 of 86
TWO Darkvoices ! Nice work there Fitz and I loved reading in the other threads about the FM !

Apr 12, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #65 of 86
since the k340s seem to really get a nice kick from running balanced, i'm wondering how they work with the corda opera, which is supposed to convey most of the benefits of balancing from single ended phones via it's balanced ground scheme.

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #66 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
since the k340s seem to really get a nice kick from running balanced, i'm wondering how they work with the corda opera, which is supposed to convey most of the benefits of balancing from single ended phones via it's balanced ground scheme.

Yeah that's a good question. I don't know how powerful the Opera is either.

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #70 of 86
Congrads, swt, that's one helluva setup you got!!! I have been nearly following all your steps of upgrade (have you notices?!), from first getting the DV, then zapping the Zhaolu, now you have outdone me again!!! I can't really imagine what the K340s sound like with 4 times the power
eek.gif

On the matter of classic rock (or rock music in general), I don't think the sound signature of the K340s are good match after all. They just seem not upfront enough for me. Then again, I don't listen to rock music much
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:17 AM Post #71 of 86
I just confirmed the existance of the 6-gang Alps Black called RK24 instead of RK40. It comes with a motor and remote control, hehe. Costs $75.

The Quad RK50 is very expensive, though.

Apr 12, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #72 of 86
i don't know why but that avatar suits you cotdt^^;

oh by the way sweet61 could you post pictures of the back? Or is it too ugly right now. I thought it was impossible to open the case or something let alone replace face plates... though of course one would think by now our holiness might have figured something out ^^

Apr 12, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #73 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicDawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrads, swt, that's one helluva setup you got!!! I have been nearly following all your steps of upgrade (have you notices?!), from first getting the DV, then zapping the Zhaolu, now you have outdone me again!!! I can't really imagine what the K340s sound like with 4 times the power
eek.gif

On the matter of classic rock (or rock music in general), I don't think the sound signature of the K340s are good match after all. They just seem not upfront enough for me. Then again, I don't listen to rock music much
biggrin.gif

Yeah that's exactly what classic rock needs IMO too SonicDawg...a more upfront presentation. The K81DJ's are my classic rock can for now, but I'm hoping to have the recable and mods done on my new Yamaha HP-1 Orthodynamics tonight if the XLR connectors show up. They are every bit as power hungry as the K340 if not more, but should be a better match with classic rock. Glad to see you following my upgrade train, you've got too much money sitting around anyway!
tongue.gif
I would classify this upgrade as even more drastic than the Zapfilter. Balanced is heaven.
340smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just confirmed the existance of the 6-gang Alps Black called RK24 instead of RK40. It comes with a motor and remote control, hehe. Costs $75.

The Quad RK50 is very expensive, though.

Well that and a Lay-Z-Boy recliner and I'm set.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't know why but that avatar suits you cotdt^^;

oh by the way sweet61 could you post pictures of the back? Or is it too ugly right now. I thought it was impossible to open the case or something let alone replace face plates... though of course one would think by now our holiness might have figured something out ^^

The backs look great. Fitz has some pics if he peeks in. Otherwise I'll post some for you later today...gotta run out to the shop and start my day now.

Apr 12, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #74 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that and a Lay-Z-Boy recliner and I'm set.
tongue.gif

NO... the ultimate configuration is SIX channels. Balanced with active grounds! That means you need to get another Darkvoice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back