My Fitz modded dual Darkvoices are here! Big Pics!
Apr 12, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #76 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NO... the ultimate configuration is SIX channels. Balanced with active grounds! That means you need to get another Darkvoice!

Finally, proof that prolonged exposure to the K701 can cause mental damage.

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #77 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would classify this upgrade as even more drastic than the Zapfilter. Balanced is heaven.
340smile.gif

There you go again!! I fall for this every time!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #78 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally, proof that prolonged exposure to the K701 can cause mental damage.

Have you heard of the 3-channel configuration of the M^3, B22, and Jan Meier amps? It's called an active ground. Two active-ground unbalanced can form a active-ground balanced. That means you need 6 amp channels.

2 amps - passive-ground stereo unbalanced
3 amps - active-ground stereo unbalanced
4 amps - passive-ground stereo balanced
6 amps - active-ground stereo balanced

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb
3-channel active ground topology
In addition to the left and right channels, in this amplifier the "ground" wire of the headphone is actively driven by a third channel of the same topology. The ground channel amplifier sources or sinks the return current from the transducers, which would otherwise have been dumped into signal ground or power supply ground. This shifts responsibility for the high current reactive load of the headphones from signal ground to the tightly regulated power supply rails, thus removing the primary source of signal ground contamination. The headphone transducer "sees" symmetrical output buffers with equal impedance and transfer characteristics on both sides, rather than an output buffer on one side and a capacitor bank of the power supply ground on the other. This results in lower output impedance, greater linearity and reduced stereo crosstalk.

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #79 of 86
No.
tongue.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #80 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No.
tongue.gif

Too bad you live in Toronto! I'm going to build a 6-channel amp in a few months and bring it to the next meet in SoCal! I'm going to claim credit for building the first 6-channel headphone amp yay! That pleases me... in a way...
k701smile.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #81 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad you live in Toronto! I'm going to build a 6-channel amp in a few months and bring it to the next meet in SoCal! I'm going to claim credit for building the first 6-channel headphone amp yay! That pleases me... in a way... :k701:

My cell amp will have 12 channels. SSL SSL2 TubeL TubeL2 SSG SSG2 TubeG TubeG2 SSR SSR2 TubeR TubeR2

all with four big figure 8 mobius shaped transformers with a constant stream of cold gas poured over them so they float and never touche anything. The whole amp setup is then put in a glass vat and vacuumed. The giant glass thingamajig is then dipped in ers sauce and cooled to solidify into one big opaque white cube that has leds inside and lights up with a soft glow. iwin.

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #82 of 86
cotdt - Where are you going to wire those 6 channels to on your headphones then???
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: LOL, OMGzzz... Hydrocity wins!
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #83 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cotdt - Where are you going to wire those 6 channels to on your headphones then???
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: LOL, OMGzzz... Hydrocity wins!
biggrin.gif

The XLR has three pins on it, so they all must do something with the headphones, right?
tongue.gif

edit: I just realized, he should build a 8 channel amp instead! Run pin 1 and the shell into separate ground channels!
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #84 of 86
Not so much... but you know that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #86 of 86
So to make two Darkvoice into dual mono, I will just have to replace the rca jacks into XLR ones, right? Or simply rewire the headphone cables into two 1/4 jacks, each for one channel?

Ok, just checked out AMB's website, so in order to have a dual mono DV pairing, I will have to:

1. Get an identical Darkvoice with matching tubes (durh!)
2. Wire the left XLR output to DV1, as in L- to L channel, and L+ to R channel, and share grounds.
3. Do the same thing with the right XLR output to DV2.
4. Reterminate my headphones with two 1/4 mono plugs (since I don't want to deal with modding the faceplate), and basically "float" the grounds on each channel.
5. Profit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back