My Fitz modded dual Darkvoices are here! Big Pics!
Apr 10, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #16 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Whats with the "Y" power cable?

Wouldn't it be more reliable to use 2 separate cords?

Well I don't think it's starving them for power, they're pretty thick. I'll check them against some aftermarket power cords I have. It's just temporary at any rate. When it goes back to Fitz for the new faceplate, backplate and stepper, it will also be modded to one power cord.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll find if you swap the 6AS7s the other way around between the amps, they look like a set of toed-in speakers.

See what I mean about his attention to detail. It's been fixed Fitz.
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
early impressions?

They're incredible! They still sound very much like a Darkvoice 336, just better at everything. I just think the combination of finally giving these headphones all the juice they could ever want, and balancing the system has given them a since of effortless air and dynamics. You just can't trip them up, they'll take everything you throw at them without breakin' a sweat. The power is enormous, it's like Arnold at age 5 vs. Arnold when he won Mr. Universe. Yet with all that power they are dead silent between tracks, and soft passages are delectable. I'm listening to Alison Krauss' new album "A Hundred Miles Or More" (if you haven't bought this album yet run, don't walk to your nearest store and pick it up!), and it's beautifully recorded, and is stunning on this system! I haven't thrown my usual reference CD's at them yet, but will get to it soon, I just can't stop listening to female vocals right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cool! maybe I'll have a chance to hear them at another Texas meet! Congrats man! I feel like I've only heard half of the story now
wink.gif

I was hoping the Houston meet would gather steam, but not yet.
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, very nice. i'm thinking of trying something like this with the zana deux... (since craig doesn't seem to want to build a balenced version).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm... makes me wonder what monoblock rsa hr2s would turn out like!
evil_smiley.gif

great work fitz. you're a very talented diyer!

As successfull as this mod was I'd say this opens up a lot of possibilities for dual amp settups.

Apr 10, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #17 of 86
Niiice.... I cant wait to hear more detailed impressins. Enjoy my friend.
340smile.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #18 of 86
Man, those amps paired up together just look...extreme! Can't think of a better word to describe! So that's a Darkvoice per channel right? That is just downright hardcore.
biggrin.gif

There's another Alison Krauss CD out?! /cue immediate visit to online CD store

Apr 11, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #19 of 86
I've been feeding them a wide range of music. Steve Miller's "Wild Mountain Honey", BTO's "Lookin' Out For #1", Jonny Lang's "Lie To Me", Michael Buble's "Fever", ELO's "Wild West Hero", Pink Floyd's "Breath", Aaron Neville & Trisha Yearwood's cover of Patsy Cline's "I Fall To Pieces", Dire Straight's "Waterline", Norah Jones' "Come Away With Me", Eurythmics' "There Must Be An Angle", Alison Krauss' entire new album, Elton John's "Saturday Night's Alright For Fightin' ", Almond Bros. "Melissa", Martina McBride's cover of Lynn Anderson's "Rose Garden", BB King's "Six Silver Strings" even Boy George's "Crying Game".
I've come to a few conclusions.

Conclusion #1... is the bass is even more present now. Still tight and controlled, but a little deeper. After Larry's Mod of the K340's, looser101's mod of the Zhaolu D2C and now Fitz' mod of the Darkvoices, and balanced K340 cables, I can finally say I have all the bass I want. I have no idea what bass heavy K340's would sound like on my system, but my bass light K340's are no longer bass light at all on this system.

Conclusion #2...The K340's are a decent classic rock headphone now, but they still sound at their best with vocals (especially female), Jazz, Blues, Piano and Strings.

Conclusion #3... I've come so far with my system that there is now a quite noticable downside. Poor recordings sound really bad! Some of my less than desirable remastered CD's are almost unlistenable now. This is definitely much more evident than prior to this mod. I'm not sure if the amps or the balanced system is mostly the cause, I'd guess the latter. That's just part of the game of improving your system however. Every flaw is magnified. That is a cost I'm willing to pay though. When I was listening to Michael Buble sing "Fever", I had the biggest grin on my face!
biggrin.gif

All hail the mighty Fitz!
340smile.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #22 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's another Alison Krauss CD out?! /cue immediate visit to online CD store

It's a collection of some of her previous stuff, and some new stuff. It's the best album she's done to date IMHO. Some tracks Like Molly Ban (Bawn) are downright gorgeous. There are several duets on this album as well, with James Taylor, John Waite, The Brad Paisley duet of "Whiskey Lullaby" and a song with Sting singing background.

Apr 11, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #24 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjkurita /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone point me to the specific mods involved? Is there anything involved (sonically) more than making each amp handle one channel?

The amps have been bridged. Meaning they not only handle just one channel, but are 4 times more powerfull (2 x Voltage + 2 x Current = 4 x Wattage).
They were wired with XLR inputs and Outputs which required modding the faceplates and backplates, and are fully balanced. The stock volume pots were replaced with much nicer Alps pots and nice knobs, and Fitz did his "tube hum be gone" mod on them (I don't know the specifics of it, but it works). And new LED's for aesthetics.

Fitz if I missed anything pipe in.

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #25 of 86
I have a pair of K340 on the way (going to be powered by a Sound Quest SQ-84, so it should have enough power). Anyways, saw your comment about how they now sound ok for classic rock. Is rock not a strong suite for the K340? I listen to a wide variety of music, but 85% of the time you'll catch me listening to metal or hardcore of the more extreme variety.

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #27 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The amps have been bridged. Meaning they not only handle just one channel, but are 4 times more powerfull (2 x Voltage + 2 x Current = 4 x Wattage).
They were wired with XLR inputs and Outputs which required modding the faceplates and backplates, and are fully balanced. The stock volume pots were replaced with much nicer Alps pots and nice knobs, and Fitz did his "tube hum be gone" mod on them (I don't know the specifics of it, but it works). And new LED's for aesthetics.

Fitz if I missed anything pipe in.

The input wiring that ran from the rear to the front was also changed, replacing the two coaxial cables with a single shielded balanced cable.

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #28 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of K340 on the way (going to be powered by a Sound Quest SQ-84, so it should have enough power). Anyways, saw your comment about how they now sound ok for classic rock. Is rock not a strong suite for the K340? I listen to a wide variety of music, but 85% of the time you'll catch me listening to metal or hardcore of the more extreme variety.

That depends on the version IMO. I'd say the bass light are not the best rock headphone stock. Modded with a good system they most certainly improve. In the end it's all a matter of personal taste, you may love them with rock. Congratulations on your new K340's!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
swt61, have you tried other balanced cans with it yet?

No, but as soon as my XLR connectors arrive (should be this week) I'm going to recable my Yamaha HP-1 Orthodynamics. They are also a very hungry headphone. Maybe I'll get to hear more at this summer's Dallas meet.

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #29 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not that hard to do, but this will be changed in an upcoming upgrade with a new single faceplate and backplate, with a center mounted single stepped attenuator.

You might want to consider a 4 gang alps blue if you can find one. The best source is Ebay.

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #30 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to consider a 4 gang alps blue if you can find one. The best source is Ebay.

or a 4-gang alps black beauty. they are nicer =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back