My first cans and totally confused.
Jul 15, 2011 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Yamaya

New Head-Fier
Hello all,
first of all i want to apologize for my bad english and about my "nubiness" i'm totally green about audio gear.

I want to buy my first set of good headphones, they need to be closed ones because i don't want to disturb my wife and i need to block some noise from place where i live, i will plug them in into my Xonar D1 and my cowon D2, i'm not own any amp yet i will buy one in next 2-3 months but i will be pleased if headphones can be driven without it too.

I'm listen good mix of music ( i will list some of my favored bands :wink: )  Nightwish, Within temptation, Dido, Sarah McLachlan, Alicia Keys, Katie Melua, Delain, Entwined, Linkin Park, loreena McKennit and list go on i'm open for others too, sadly this makes  my choice even more difficult.

My budget is around 170-180 EURO ( It will be around 200-230$  but prices are a bit diffrent in Europe ) i'm not a big bass perosn i love to hear vocals and feel to be close to stage ( i hope you know what i mean ) i will use headphones also for gaming but mnusic its my primary goal, i will spend in them 5-6 hours in week  and more in weekends so they need to be comfortable, atm i'm choosing betwen.

AKG 271 MK II
Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80
Audio-Technica ATH-50M
Shure SRH840

Atm i'm won "great" for gamers headphones Steelseries Siberia so any headphones will be upgrade for me and for my cowon D2Sennheiser cx300.

I will appreciate any help form you guys, i'm sadly can't go to store and listen to any fo them my closest one is  about 8hours from place where i live :/

I'm read few guids on the net about how to choose headphones and ask few shops but because of this i'm now confused so much and i really don't know what to choose :/

Jul 15, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #2 of 36
The MDR-V6 is pretty good at just about everything I've thrown at it. It is easily in your budget.

Unless you have big ears to where these would be on them and pinning them back, even the stock pads are pretty comfortable, but the velour option is always a comfort upgrade.

They're no XB, you don't have to worry about bass monsters here. They're detailed and clear, and forward enough that vocals come through pretty well. They're also efficient, so no amp is necessary. The coiled cord is somewhat of a pain though for portability, not bad if you can find a way to hold up the slack (I loop it around my belt), but keep it in mind.

Other than the K271, which I've heard nothing about, all of those have been pretty highly regarded to specific tastes. You should get an opinion on them as they're all popular enough that somebody should be able to vouch for them.

But honestly, I've heard the Siberia, go pick up anything mentioned on this site in any recommendation, and you'll be happier with your music. I couldn't stand those things when a friend let me use them while working on something on his laptop. They may be alright for gaming, but for music they are absolutely terrible to my ears.

Jul 15, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 36

Quote:
But honestly, I've heard the Siberia, go pick up anything mentioned on this site in any recommendation, and you'll be happier with your music. I couldn't stand those things when a friend let me use them while working on something on his laptop. They may be alright for gaming, but for music they are absolutely terrible to my ears.

Trust me they are bad even for gaming , they was fine on integrated card but when i changed it to Xonar D1 i cant stand them any more :frowning2:

And yes my ears are a bit bigger than medicore.

Jul 15, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 36
Do you want something that is portable? If so, I can't help you much, since I only heard the M50, which is nice, but only worth 150 Euros IMO.
Have you considered Denon D2000? I really like the vocals on these since they sound clear without harshness, sibilance or grain. Might be the effect of the supposed recessed mids though? Not sure. Only thing is that they do leak some sound.

Jul 15, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #5 of 36
Sorry my mistake, i don;t need portable headphones i'm mostly use them at my PC or when with my Covon i will be on my balcony.

I was read about Denon D2000 in past few days sadly only what i can find are Denon Ah-D2000 which cost  about 290 EUR here and out of my budged by a lot.

Is fact i'm wearing glasses is important too?

Jul 15, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #6 of 36
I can see that you are a bit confused, because the AKG and AT listed in your first post are very different to each other in sound signature. The AT have quite some added bass, while the AKG is more neutral and tend to be over on the bright side.

Jul 15, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #7 of 36
Yes i'm and i never had a chance to listen any of them so this confuse me even more as i don't have any point of reference .

Please feel free to throw any other choices if you listen "my" kind of music, i really need pair of new ones as SS hurt my ears.

Jul 15, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #10 of 36
According to your music list / female vocals, I interpret that you like a detailed and neutral sound, and not a bass heavy and smooth sound. I would then opt for 271mkII. BTW: I chose them as my one closed can some time ago, and still use them in between open cans.

You get both velour and "leather" pads with the 271mkII purchase, and detachable cable (one short and one longer) with both 1/4" and 1/8" plug. The 271mkII is a VFM package.

Jul 15, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #11 of 36
If you're focus on the vocals the K271 MKll are great choice, as well you can consider the K-240MKll that are more balanced compare to the K-271. You can try to get a used pair for a better price.

Jul 15, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #13 of 36
Sorry i cant post with quiting you, weird...

Anyway yes its what i'm looking for, i love detailed vocals and as you can see i listening mostly female singers.

K-240MKll are half-opened headphones? How good they are at blocking noise/letting music out?

Jul 15, 2011 at 8:23 AM Post #14 of 36

Quote:
Sorry i cant post with quiting you, weird...

Anyway yes its what i'm looking for, i love detailed vocals and as you can see i listening mostly female singers.

K-240MKll are half-opened headphones? How good they are at blocking noise/letting music out?

I have the AKG K 141 MKII, which is also a semi-open (and is the "little brother" of the K 240). They don't leak out excessively, but they don't isolate much. Perfect if you want to carry a conversation with headphones on (not a good choice IMO). Isolation wise, they are like shallow insertion IEMs (my Denon AH-C260 comes into mind)

Jul 15, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #15 of 36
Thanks, then its seems 271MKII are for me i'm only have 2 questions and please be polite because i'm totally green in this aspect :)

Do i need "warm up" my headphones with any specific music or i just can listen on them what i listen daily?

Can you recommended any amp which will work good with 271 mkII ?

And i want to thank you all for help, you make my life 1000x easier :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back