My experience with Shure's SRH750DJ - now official impressions thread
May 7, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #107 of 108
Definitely the 750's need to go through an (unpleasant) breaking-in process. At first, the pads were very uncomfortable, got very hot, and the pressure point issue made my head feel like it was literally going to implode. The bass was mind-blowing, but really pretty overpowering - it seemed to be getting in the way of highs and mids. Mids were pretty recessed, and the whole thing had a feeling of being a bit uncontrolled. But after 100-200 hours listening/wearing/breaking in, they are so much better! The bass is reined in, the mids and highs are crisper, and they are actually reasonably comfortable - the pressure point problem has gone away for me completely. 

My two biggest issues with the phones are, now, the annoying creak that you get every time the headphones are moved at all, and (more worryingly) a distinct looseness of the blue rotating joint - it moves just a fraction in the wrong dimension, which is a bit concerning - have they been known to snap there?

But the sound quality is unquestionably brilliant for the price. I used to have the M50s, and these surpass them easily in sound, maybe not in bass quantity but definitely in quality and depth, and can hold their own against my old Sennheiser HD580s, which are a very nice set of 'phones. These are my favourite fun-listening cans now, I only hope they don't snap at that joint! Especially with Shure's famously stingy warranty service...

May 12, 2011 at 7:15 AM Post #108 of 108
I recently got myself a pair of these, and let me say, in Melbourne, the range of headphones available is so limited, let alone having competitive pricing. So I was delighted getting these and made my own impressions as a sort of progression into audiophile history timeline, for me to look back on. I'm kinda surprised about the lack of popularity on these headphones, when I heard the M50 I was impressed but the shures take it a bit further up imo, yet they receive so much more attention?

anyways here are my impressions for anyone interested: http://bondyreviews.wordpress.com/2011/05/11/new-headphones-shure-thing/

but i was wondering if anyone knows how to fix that creaking? or lower the clamping power slightly? prolonged usage seems impossible :S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back