My experience with Shure's SRH750DJ - now official impressions thread
Dec 3, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #46 of 108
The 750s look less bulky than the 840s because of the open yoke design and the relatively small housings but overall size is really about the same. They also feel less bulky - they are much lighter than the 840s and fold up smaller.

Now - for the headband. It is an annoyance and when you put them on, they tend to stick out more than usual. I've worked at mine a few times and now get a bit of a curve at the top of the headband. I may make another attempt or two to see if I can get it more rounded but I definitely see a difference, it doesn't stick out quite as much.

I will say this: Even when the headband flattened out, comfort has never been an issue. I can see how it can be though if A) you have a sizable noggin, and/or B) you have large ears (you might bump into the earpad). I would say if you typically have to adjust headphones beyond halfway to make them fit, the 750s may be too small for you.

Thankfully they fit me well enough because I am totally diggin' how they sound. They really offer the exact kind of sound sig I prefer.

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #47 of 108
They sound really good, the only parts I'm a bit nervous about are the flat headband and the isolation...

How is the isolation in general? Not compared to the M50's? Would I be able to use these in a library at an okay volume? What about the noise cancelling?

Also, you said you would have the comparison of the M50's and the SRH750 DJ's later this week, just the reminder you asked for.

Dec 3, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #48 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulMisaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They sound really good, the only parts I'm a bit nervous about are the flat headband and the isolation...

How is the isolation in general? Not compared to the M50's? Would I be able to use these in a library at an okay volume? What about the noise cancelling?

Also, you said you would have the comparison of the M50's and the SRH750 DJ's later this week, just the reminder you asked for.

Isolation is not great but it does a decent job in blocking out ambient noise such as computer hum and the TV to a degree (depends on how loud the TV is). I don't think these would do well on a plane or in other public transportation situations.

As for leakage - haven't asked the wife if she can hear me using them. I'm assuming she can't because I have gone to sleep with them on and she hasn't complained. The good thing is, the 750s sound real good even at low volumes so you would have no problems at the library.

Comparo with M50s? You are asking someone else I assume. I've heard the M50s but not extensively.

Dec 12, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #49 of 108
I have the 840s and I'm considering these as I'd love a bit more bass. The highs seem pretty good to me, are there major differences?
But my biggest issue is comfort: I have pretty big ears so they touch the pads on the top-back of them. After an hour or two it gets annoying and I have to take them off. I've noticed the 750s have round pads and I assume overall bigger space for the ears. Is this correct? The depth is the same? I'm at the limit there too.

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #51 of 108
So warrior05, have you taken them apart yet?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #52 of 108
I've had these for a little over a month. I concur with almost everything warrior05 has said about these headphones. I've posted my own review/impressions/comparisons in my head-fi blog. It's pretty lengthy, so get comfy. There's also a tl;dr version if you scroll to the bottom of the post. I hope headfiers will find it useful and informative.

1/20 Update

The ear pad durability of the 750djs are questionable. In summary, I've noticed a lot of change in a small amount of time, and it's bad. Old pads have hardened and cracked on the surface. My spare pads are much softer and plush in comparison. My blog entry will be updated with a few more details soon.

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #53 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So warrior05, have you taken them apart yet?
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes I have.

I like how Shure engineered the swivel mechanism and routing the conductors so they are hidden. I also modified the chamber and mounted an 1/8" jack so I can use my own cables with a Neutrik 1/8" plug.

After all is said and done though, I am considering transplanting the drivers. I really love how the headphones sound but, man, is the chassis a creak-meister. Just about any movement and she creaks.

I've got an RX-900 that I bought to experiment with different drivers since the chassis is A) pretty cool looking imo, and B) it is incredibly comfy. It is already recabled and I have tried other drivers so it would be an easy project. Just haven't gotten around to it. Plus, there is one thing I want to try but have to buy something first.

It really is a shame about the chassis of the 750DJ. Shure hit a home-run in the sound dept with them but laid down a weak grounder with the rest of the hardware.

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #54 of 108
That sounds like a very nice diy project.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #56 of 108
Creakiness solved. Now thoroughly enjoying these fine 'phones! Also treated the inside for even more bass control. Man, these things go deep. They really hit a sweet spot with my SQ preference. Hasn't seem to caught on around here. Shame. People don't know what they are missing.

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #57 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Creakiness solved. Now thoroughly enjoying these fine 'phones! Also treated the inside for even more bass control. Man, these things go deep. They really hit a sweet spot with my SQ preference. Hasn't seem to caught on around here. Shame. People don't know what they are missing.

Sounds like you were able to avoid transplanting the drivers into another chassis, no? What did you end up doing to eliminate the creakiness?

Jan 24, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #59 of 108
Nice impressions. Wow, had I not purchased my 840s, I may have gotten these instead...mind you I am happy with the 840 as very good all rounders.

Jan 26, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #60 of 108
For those who have experience with both the senn HD25-1s and the shure 750DJs: Any idea which would be better for classical/ instrumental music? Also, how do portability and isolation compare?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back