my dog just shredded 2 pairs
Sep 24, 2011 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

vvubanga

New Head-Fier
dog just shredded both wires off the denon ah d2000s and my audio technica m50s, does anyone know if i can possibly get them fixed? the headphones are both intact on both pairs, just wondering if its possible to get new wires put on or if there is any other solution than to buy new pairs, my own damn fault for leaving them where he could get them, fell asleep leaving a door open to my side room that I always keep closed, ughhhhh!!!!!!! Help please!

Sep 24, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #4 of 26
Sorry, I'm not good with DIY stuff so I don't really know exactly, you'll need a soldering iron and solder first, to connect a DIY cable to interconnects of your choice, a 3.5mm male plug would be something you'd want. Then you'll need to remove the original cables from the drivers, after tearing down a few cheap $5 cans I'd say that part is the hardest. The price really depends on your cable of choice. Fixing the cable your dog chewed up should be easier IMO, since you don't have to open up your headphones and point a hot metal stick at the fragile drives. I've once fixed a power supply cable for my internet modem chewed up in a similar fashion by my dog using nothing but electrical tape or what ever it was called. 

Sep 24, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #5 of 26
ok good to know, thanks for the advice, i really dont know how to do any of that soldering stuff but im sure i can youtube it just not sure i want to go out and buy a sodering iron just for this, u think i can contact denon or audio technica and see if they can just replace the wires for me?

Sep 24, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #6 of 26
Those dogs received the punishment deserved? They sure know to pick the best thing to chew on...

Yeah try you warranty / authorized repair first. If they don't work out may be a DIYer can fix it easy, depending if you want to just reconnect it, or recable the whole headphone.

I think later would be a better option since you have nothing to lose...

Sep 24, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #7 of 26
can anyone link me to a site/company that would be able to recable my headphones? i would greatly appreciate it.

cant really punish the dog when its my fault, i have a breed called basenji, and i know if i leave anything out it will be shredded, so i should be punishing myself and i am considering what im going to have to go thru to have them fixed. i will check the warranty and pray that i have one, i bought both pairs this february from J & R

heres a pic of the lil sh,it smelling them after he chewed the wire
at this point im just thankfully he didnt chew the actual headphones

Sep 24, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #8 of 26
Soldering irons are neither expensive, nor difficult to use, my brother taught me to solder way back when I was 8 or 9
It's really very easy, I haven't recabled headphones before though, just check the DIY section of the forum, they should be able to help out, if warranties don't cover dog-damage

Sep 24, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #9 of 26
I have 3 little dogs, while they've never ever touched any of my headphones (I sometimes leave my LCD-2s on the floor), one of them has been chewing on my Westone 4s if I left them on the bedside table. The good thing is that she is really good at taking the tips out (Shure Olives, and eating them I assumed) while leaving the drivers and the cables untouched. It's quite annoying but at least I can replace the tips easily so I never bothered to tell her off. Now I kept my IEMs inside a drawer. :)

Sep 24, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #10 of 26
ok so im pretty sure they wont before covered by warranty because it wasnt from regular wear and tear, any tips or websites i can try? or is my best option to put up a thread on this site asking for help? i cant call denon or audio technica because they are both closed on the weekends, so i will have to wait untill monday. this had to have happened to someone before, advice please!!!!

anyone heard of this site called zynsonix? apparently they do custom work but i dont know if there is a better site out there, i just randomly stumbled onto the site while googling how to recable headphones. thanks for your help if u can help me get this problem resolved.

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #11 of 26
http://www.head-fi.org/t/530341/zynsonix-custom-audio-cables-feedback

They seem to be a good company. Good prices from what I'm seeing too. Might have to use them myself.

Edit: An option could be to try your hand at re-cabling the M50s. They aren't expensive headphones, and they won't be worth getting professionally re-cabled.

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #13 of 26

Quote:
People often recable their headphones because they don't like the stock cables. You could try doing that, although that would void your warranty. 

I have a feeling the dog already did an excellent job of voiding the warranty -- so this is the least of the OP's worries. 

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #14 of 26
I would just try doing it myself since it's really not hard. In fact since it looks like your dog chewed it in the middle you don't even need to buy new wire, you can just splice the two sides together. Just google "how to splice wires" and you'll find some good tutorials. Basically though, all you'll need is a wire stripper, a soldering iron, some solder, and some electrical tape. All you really have to do is peel back the the insulation on the cables and then on the individual wires until you expose the bare metal, then all you have to do is braid the matching sides together (or get them in contact some way) and keep them in contact. So actually you don't even need a soldering iron or solder, you could just use electrical tape (or any tape really) and have it working. The soldering iron and solder just make the connection really strong (stronger than the orginal wire if done correctly). I hope that made some sense.

TLDR = there's nothing special about headphone cables or fixing a broken one. As long as you can get the corresponding metal wires on each side to touch each other and stay in contact your headphones will work. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back