My DIY iMod V-cap "dock" Big pics.
Sep 23, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My AT amp, AT-HA5000, has DC off-set caps for one of its two sets of inputs and here is a simplified circuit sketch of its layout showing those caps in-line as option 2 above, please note the AC coupled noted just below the AT-HA5000 notation below:

at_ha_5000.gif

Looking at it closely I am a bit confused by the two parallel items. One is clearly a cap, what is the other? It certainly is not straight wire.

Both are caps. There is a smaller one bypassing a bigger one to extend the high frequency response. I would also like to note these caps are being used exactly the way that lawngnome said not to use them. As you can see so much for his advice on the matter.

Sep 23, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take a closer look (may be twice) at the schematic and you will see that these capacitors are mounted in serie with the input signal
wink.gif

I think you are saying that those two caps are in series but I do know the difference between parallel and series and those two caps are definitively in parallel with each other and the input signal goes through both of them.

Sep 23, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by germanium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both are caps. There is a smaller one bypassing a bigger one to extend the high frequency response. I would also like to note these caps are being used exactly the way that lawngnome said not to use them. As you can see so much for his advice on the matter.

I now see the cap definition below now..one is 100 BP uF while the other is 0.047 uF. I failed to notice that before. Thanks

BTW, what is "BP" in this context?

Sep 23, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does the BP stand for and why are there 2 different symbols for the caps? (The ones in parallel)

It appears to mean "By-Pass" or it could mean something else like a type of "Nichicon BP" cap like "Bi-polarized".

Sep 23, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

100 and .047 seem like very high and very low values. Does this extend the highs? How?

The BP probably means bypolar which is another way of saying nonpolorized cap, probably a nonpolorized electrolytic cap bypassed with a small value metalyzed film as is costomary these days. Almost all electrolytics that I have heard in the signal path muffle the high frequencies to a degree & the small value caps reduce the muffling as well as sweetens the high frquencies making them less harsh as well as less muffled. I know seeming contradiction but it is true.

Sep 23, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you are saying that those two caps are in series ...

Please don't think that way
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
, just read it as I wrote: these capacitors are mounted in serie with the input signal.
As I wrote: the 100uF bi-polar electrolytics is bypassed with a 47nF film cap => 100uF//47nF (nothing more or less).

Sep 23, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please don't think that way
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
, just read it as I wrote: these capacitors are mounted in serie with the input signal.
As I wrote: the 100uF bi-polar electrolytics is bypassed with a 47nF film cap => 100uF//47nF (nothing more or less).

Yea, I read it as "those caps are mounted in series" as being an end in itself. It was my mis-understanding what you were saying, sorry.

Sep 23, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by germanium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The BP probably means bypolar which is another way of saying nonpolorized cap, probably a nonpolorized electrolytic cap bypassed with a small value metalyzed film as is costomary these days. Almost all electrolytics that I have heard in the signal path muffle the high frequencies to a degree & the small value caps reduce the muffling as well as sweetens the high frquencies making them less harsh as well as less muffled. I know seeming contradiction but it is true.

Thanks for the info, been many years since I made a crossover and I forgot most things.

Sep 24, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #27 of 41
Steven, your way is the correct way, so don't worry. The caps function can be used both ways(1 and 2). For this purpose it is 1, Coupling function, so if there is dc, it cannot pass through.

siang

Sep 24, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinsiang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steven, your way is the correct way, so don't worry. The caps function can be used both ways(1 and 2). For this purpose it is 1, Coupling function, so if there is dc, it cannot pass through.

siang

I take it you mean way 2 as way 2 blocks D.C. & passes the audio on to the phones or amp. Way 1 will pass the D.C. on but shorts the audio signal to ground so no sound will be sent on to the headphones or amp.

Sep 24, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by i has a can /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you have a 1/4 locking jack in there?

Quote:

I used OIMP V-caps, 250VDC 3.3uF. I wanted to have charging ability, RCA, mini and 1/4" outputs.

QFT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back