My DIY iMod V-cap "dock" Big pics.
Sep 24, 2007 at 10:39 AM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by i has a can /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you have a 1/4 locking jack in there?

Yeah I may one day want to use a 1/4" jack to connect it to something (not cans obviously!). I may never use it, then again I may. No harm having it there so why not.

I may make a 1/4" to RCA cable to connect to a stereo somewhere. Better than 1/8" I guess and should be the same as RCA as the ground is combined anyway.

Sep 25, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #32 of 41
Stevekelby wrote;

"I used OIMP V-caps, 250VDC 3.3uF. I wanted to have charging ability, RCA, mini and 1/4" outputs."

Those caps are too small in capacitance to drive anything but anouther amp. Headphones would have very very severe bass rolloff if used with these caps In fact you wouldn't get anything but upper mids & treble if headphone were plugged in directly to the 1/4" jack. I hope it was your intention to drive a very high impedance headphone amp. Something on the order of at least 10,000 ohm input impedance.

OOPs I see that is your intention to drive an amp which is good. Probably best to drive an amp with mosfet or tube front end as these draw no current in & of themselves. Thier capacitance is far lower than your capacitace so they would not limit frequency response in & of themselves so unless you used too low impedance between your caps & amp you will be fine. Bipolar transistors draw some current & I would not recommend them at the front end of the amp circuit when driving with such a low capacitance.

Sep 25, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by germanium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stevekelby wrote;

"I used OIMP V-caps, 250VDC 3.3uF. I wanted to have charging ability, RCA, mini and 1/4" outputs."

Those caps are too small in capacitance to drive anything but anouther amp. Headphones would have very very severe bass rolloff if used with these caps In fact you wouldn't get anything but upper mids & treble if headphone were plugged in directly to the 1/4" jack. I hope it was your intention to drive a very high impedance headphone amp. Something on the order of at least 10,000 ohm input impedance.

OOPs I see that is your intention to drive an amp which is good. Probably best to drive an amp with mosfet or tube front end as these draw no current in & of themselves. Thier capacitance is far lower than your capacitace so they would not limit frequency response in & of themselves so unless you used too low impedance between your caps & amp you will be fine. Bipolar transistors draw some current & I would not recommend them at the front end of the amp circuit when driving with such a low capacitance.

Thanks for the info. I do plan on mosfet amps only, 20'000 ohm minimum.

Sep 25, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info. I do plan on mosfet amps only, 20'000 ohm minimum.

Good man. Looks like you have at least put a little thought into this.

Oct 2, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #37 of 41
BP stands for "bi-polar" (aka non-polar electrolytic). They used two different capacitor symbols to denote electrolytic (with the dash marks) and non-electrolytic types. This is common practice in Japanese schematic diagrams.

The amp has two sets of inputs, one is AC-coupled (the signal goes through those coupling capacitors) and the other is direct-coupled. The former is for use with sources that may have DC offset.

Oct 4, 2007 at 7:47 AM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BP stands for "bi-polar" (aka non-polar electrolytic). They used two different capacitor symbols to denote electrolytic (with the dash marks) and non-electrolytic types. This is common practice in Japanese schematic diagrams.

The amp has two sets of inputs, one is AC-coupled (the signal goes through those coupling capacitors) and the other is direct-coupled. The former is for use with sources that may have DC offset.

The Japanese text above the BP 100uF says 'DC cut condenser'. It is JIS (Japan Industrial Standard) to put the little slanty lines between the plates of a BiPolar cap.

Hope this helps.

Feb 11, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #41 of 41
Hi could you please make a bill of materials for that DIY mod? It looks good and easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back