My DIY iMod V-cap "dock" Big pics.
Sep 22, 2007 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

stevenkelby

Headphoneus Supremus
Well I thought it was time to share my "portable" V-cap dock with the world, in case someone is interested in doing it themselves.

I used OIMP V-caps, 250VDC 3.3uF. I wanted to have charging ability, RCA, mini and 1/4" outputs.

I used a hammond case, solid silver and and SPC internally.

It sounds awesome of course but I don't know how much of it is down to the new cans I'm using it with. I do have a modified ALO iMod dock too, but it's terminated wrong for me to compare them.

Here are some pics:

26404303562.jpg

26404303549.jpg

26404303590.jpg

26404303516.jpg

26404303644.jpg

26404303665.jpg

26404303672.jpg

26404303661.jpg

Here is the charging imod dock I made from parts of one I bought from Vinnie, with the stock blackgates.

26404352035.jpg

26404352183.jpg

26404352139.jpg

Sep 22, 2007 at 9:52 AM Post #3 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is that hammond quite large or normal size?

It's huge! 2 ipods would probably fit in there. I don't care though, if I want to travel with it, it will fit in the little case I keep my travel rig in, I can take it to work etc. Definitely not pocket friendly! The cable is long enough for my forthcoming Pico to fit between the case and the imod though, so maybe if I get a big enough bum-bag I can take it to gym...

Here's the enclosure, but black, obviously:

http://www.hammondmfg.com/jpeg/1455K1201B.jpg

http://www.hammondmfg.com/pdf/1455K1201.pdf

I could have fit everything in a smaller one but it would have been even harder and I don't mind the size.

The work on it wasn't perfect but I didn't care about looks as I wasn't even going to post pics. It will last forever and sounds great, that what matters to me. If I was selling them I would make it much neater and tidier. I would also charge about ten times what Ken is charging as there is so much work involved! Thanks for the compliments though.
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 11:01 AM Post #4 of 41
Cool idea! I'm working with swt61 on an iMod dock with similar options. He's doing the woodwork and I'll be wiring it up. For his I'll be putting in a huge 1/8" Switchcraft jack and a USB jack for charging purposes. For mine I'll have RCA outs and the USB jack. He doesn't have an iMod but for mine I'm using a pair of Sonicaps. I found a site that sells PCBs soldered to docking connectors so it makes soldering various configurations a breeze.

Good job!! I love this kind of stuff!
cool.gif

Sep 23, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #6 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where are the caps connected to the ground and signal?

it looks as if the caps are actually part of the signal path, and not just in it.

Yep that's right. L and R pass only through the caps. G just goes along some SPC, alongside the caps.

Sep 23, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep that's right. L and R pass only through the caps. G just goes along some SPC, alongside the caps.

You do know that you don't use caps like that. You don't pass a electricity through a cap.

You have a cap connected to the line and then ground. 30$ capacitors and they aren't even used properly?
blink.gif

Sep 23, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do know that you don't use caps like that. You don't pass a electricity through a cap.

You have a cap connected to the line and then ground. 30$ capacitors and they aren't even used properly?
blink.gif

$55 caps thank you very much!

I thought that was how to use them? Seems to be working, how would I know? Sounds way better than the HP out.

Are they supposed to just cross over the signal and ground lines?

I asked about this a while ago and that's what I got.

I did post a pic of a high quality schematic I drew with the 2 options all those months ago:

26500553274.jpg

Everyone said option 2 was the way to go. Could be wrong.

I'll look into it. If I'm wrong, thanks for educating me.
wink.gif

Sep 23, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #10 of 41
Way 1 is the correct way.

Capacitors bridge between the power/signal line and ground.

They are not meant to actually have a signal/power passed through them.

I can't find any links right now, but I'm sure someone can explain it easier than I.

Sep 23, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #11 of 41
If they were connected in way 1, wouldn't any DC current just continue along the wire to the amp?

The way I understand it, in the imod, the capacitors are used only to block DC. Passing the signal through them, they allow the AC (signal) to pass, but the DC voltage will not be allowed through. I could be wrong though.

As they are in way 2, in an ALO imod dock, I measured about 1.7 V before the caps, and about 0.4 V after the caps. I don't know what that means though.

Any one else have any info on the right way to do it?

Sep 23, 2007 at 9:31 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$55 caps thank you very much!

I thought that was how to use them? Seems to be working, how would I know? Sounds way better than the HP out.

Are they supposed to just cross over the signal and ground lines?

I asked about this a while ago and that's what I got.

I did post a pic of a high quality schematic I drew with the 2 options all those months ago:

26500553274.jpg

Everyone said option 2 was the way to go. Could be wrong.

I'll look into it. If I'm wrong, thanks for educating me.
wink.gif

Way 2 is correct you are trying to block D.C. but not the audio signal. If you connected it way 1 you would be shorting the audio signal to ground & not likely get any sound at all. Pay no mind to Lawngnome. Capacitors are meant to pass audio signal & block D.C. in this scenerio. If used in a power situation they would be used way 1 but this signal passing not power. Way 1 could also be damaging to the output amps or DACs!!!

Sep 23, 2007 at 9:47 AM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by germanium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Way 2 is correct you are trying to block D.C. but not the audio signal. If you connected it way 1 you would be shorting the audio signal to ground & not likely get any sound at all. Pay no mind to Lawngnome. Capacitors are meant to pass audio signal & block D.C. in this scenerio. If used in a power situation they would be used way 1 but this signal passing not power. Way 1 could also be damaging to the output amps or DACs!!!

Thank you for the input Germanium, some excellent advice there!
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2007 at 9:58 AM Post #14 of 41
My AT amp, AT-HA5000, has DC off-set caps for one of its two sets of inputs and here is a simplified circuit sketch of its layout showing those caps in-line as option 2 above, please note the AC coupled noted just below the AT-HA5000 notation below:

at_ha_5000.gif

Looking at it closely I am a bit confused by the two parallel items. One is clearly a cap, what is the other? It certainly is not straight wire.

Sep 23, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
at_ha_5000.gif

Looking at it closely I am a bit confused by the two parallel items. One is clearly a cap, what is the other? It certainly is not straight wire.

These 2 components are both capacitors: 100uF electrolytics with a 47nF film cap bypassed. Take a closer look (may be twice) at the schematic and you will see that these capacitors are mounted in serie with the input signal
wink.gif
BTW, from the audio viewpoint... ordinary electrolytic capacitor in the signal path is NOT DONE...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back